Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire for best steering feel?

Old 05-07-2016, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire for best steering feel?

I purchased a used 2003 S2000 during the summer of 2015. She came with all season tires (Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval AS) and I have never been happy about how the steering felt. I blamed it on electric steering but looking around the forums and the internet I realize it may the tires causing the steering to not feel crisp. I have looked around the forums and see that the RE-11 and ZII Star Specs seem popular. A local tire shop recommended the Bridgestone RE760 Sports because they are better for the street since I don't track my car. I am willing to pay for the RE-11 or ZII if they give more road feel through the wheel. My question is will the RE760 Sports greatly improve steering feel or will they only be slightly better than my current all season tires? Is the steering feel significant between the RE760 and RE11?
Old 05-07-2016, 11:56 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Cant comment on the RE760, but absolutely the tires make a difference. The stiffer the sidewall the better. As a default, anything with a dual ply sidewall will be want you want for crisp turn in and precise feel. All Extreme summers will have dual ply sidewalls and most performance oriented tires in some of the lessor summer categories will. But not all are equal either, just a general baseline rule. But all weather/all seasons generally aim for comfort and pliability so they are not dual ply and will feel sloppy and vague, which coupled with electric steering and a sharp handling car such as the S is really a detriment. Z2 are one of the stiffest hard nose sharp handling tires. If you want to get a contrast on the other end of the tire spectrum from what you current have, try these out.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Junky, in fact my summer set is ZII Star Specs I purchased last spring. However, I'd also add to stay away from the Hankook R-S3 if steering feel is a big concern, though they are good tires too I have run both and the ZII offers the sharpest steering response (by far), the R-S3 is more of a muscle your way around the corner by brute grip and force--not feel. Steering feel is also a highlight of the Bridgestone RE-11, so I'd say go for whichever one of the two you wish--though I promise you won't be disappointed by the performance and feel of the ZII. While they run in the same category, I'd say based on all the reviews and what not I've come across the RE-11 may be a favorite to run on the streets, whereas the ZII is seen as a streetable track/autocross tire (which the RE-11 can very well be used for too, just as the ZII is an excellent tire to run on the street for summer).
Mainly, get a good tire in the extreme performance category. It will really transform the handling and the car. The next upgrade I'd strongly recommend is suspension. Even good swift racing or sport springs will improve the handling over stock springs, and you could run them on stock struts. I got mine for ~$250 shipped to my door, barely used on like new AP2 struts. Have a local member help you install, offer them a couple drinks, pizza, and $100 or so and watch closely so you can do it next time. Lots of friendly members who would love to help you out on this forum, just start getting involved with your local ones if you haven't. Tires and suspension are the thing that make the biggest difference on this car, and they are an excellent bang for the buck upgrade. Most other upgrades thereafter will seem relatively insignificant in comparison, or may add significantly to the cost to have a big impact on the performance. Nothing much else is needed (for most of us), and in fact those are the only performance modifications I've ever really done to my car. Eventually when my budget allows, an exhaust, intake, ecu or is it flash?, and tune. Which will only give me modest power gains.

Congrats on the car btw, that's a great year (always wished my ap1 had the glass soft top!)
That's a part of the reason I actually recently "upgraded" to an AP2, despite that I could have spent an extra grand to get one (aftermarket) with installation.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:12 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Yes, 760's will give you similar response as compared to the factory equipped S03. They will be quieter and last longer than the Z2. I wouldn't buy the Z2 for daily use without the intention of tracking it.

Its a waste for your use, and it will beat you up over bumps...and they're loud.

What tire rack calls "max performance" tire is the category of tire that the car came with from the factory. RE760, Pilot SS, Kumho SPT, S04, etc.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:44 AM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

FWIW, I run the 760s on the S2000 for street tires as well as on my TDI Sportwagen. In the winter when I switch to snow tires on the TDI the difference in feel is huge. The TDI actually has pretty good steering feel for a front driver with a mostly comfort oriented suspension - as long as decent tires are used. I would expect that the 760 would be an improvement in feel over most A/S tires. That said, it is a decent tire in the rain (not the best) and pretty poor in rain/snow combinations. You don't want it on your car if the snow is accumulating. So if you really need an A/S tire, skip the 760s.

It's hard to say if the feel changes on the S2000 when I put track tires on - currently BFG Rivals 225/255. The feel on initial turn in is pretty similar, although the level of grip is obviously different. But for street driving, by the time I would get past the grip of the 760s, I'd be doing some pretty stupid things.
The following users liked this post:
fast and furious (04-02-2017)
Old 05-08-2016, 01:06 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

What wheels are you using? RE760 not available in OEM AP1 specs.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:23 PM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 1nate7
What wheels are you using? RE760 not available in OEM AP1 specs.
I am using the stock OEM AP1 wheels - RE760s were available in the proper sizes last fall when I put them on.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:54 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

You are correct. For some reason Tirerack doesn't have them listed but they do exist.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the responses everyone. So basically from most civilized to most savage it goes RE760, RE11, Z2. I think I will go with the RE11 since it will give me sharp steering fell but still livable on the street for day to day driving. What about the Yokohoma Neova Advan AD08R? They are pricey but there is a $80 rebate at tire rack if you buy 4 of these tires.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:38 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Any extreme performance tire is a total waste and a mismatch for daily/street driving. Including the RE11 and AD08.

But those two are the most civilized out of the bunch. The AD08 probably lasts longer than the RE11, though. And may out last the RE760.

Quick Reply: Tire for best steering feel?