Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tire opinion

Old 01-25-2019, 02:11 PM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

The RE11 is back and now called the S007a.
The tread on the S007A is different than the RE-11A pattern so the RE-11A ain't really back -- but it's place in the marketing line up is with the S007A marketed between the RE-71A and SO4 tires as far as performance, tread life, etc is concerned. I don't see the 255 rear tire size, though, at Tire Rack.

RE-11A looked like this.

S007A like this:

-- Chuck
Old 01-26-2019, 04:53 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielB
To the OP, how will you drive the car?

If it's fair weather-only, then you could consider some the TW200 tires such as Hankook RS4 or Bridgestone RE71 as they will give you the most grip in a street tire. But none of those tires does well at lower temps (e.g. 45 deg and below). And they are softer so won't last as long as some of the others suggested above.

Is it a daily driver? If so, do you care about how long they will last? What about noise?

What about wet driving? If not, then ignore wet performance and just focus on dry. But if you do drive in the rain and choose a softer tire, expect to replace even sooner as you'll loose grip, especially under braking, as the tread gets shallower. I wear my tires down past the tread bars on the S2000 as it's only driven dry. On my wife's DD, I change them before they get to the tread bars.

You see where I'm going - tire choice always involves some degree of trade-offs. Without knowing what matters most to you it's hard to make recommendations.
This.

Also, if you are driving street only, most of the modern extreme, max and ultra performance category summer tires, and even many good all season tires, provide more dry grip than you will ever need. Some folks actually want less grip for street tires so they can slide a bit without driving at insane speeds. I'm assuming that you don't have a death wish and that you don't want to go to jail. My feeling is that because of this reality, other characteristics, not grip, should probably drive tire buying decisions for street driving an S. Qualities such as rain performance, size availability, steering and cornering feel, price, etc., are probably the things to focus on.

That pic Chuck posted of the RE 11A reminds me how close the Firestone Firehawk tread pattern is to the old RE 11A. Very similar.

Last edited by rpg51; 01-26-2019 at 05:10 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I highly recommend the Continental ExtremeContact Sports I have on my AP1. Tire sizes should also be available in AP2 sizes. I daily the vehicle with one or two track days over the course of the year. They are quiet, great grip, and arguably the best max performance tire in the wet. Highly recommend.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:32 AM

Lacking a G-meter I use tire squeal as an indicator of how the tires are handling cornering. Despite my wife's constant orders to slow down I rarely get squeal even when alone in the car. This is telling me I'm not approaching the tire's lateral limits and that the Extreme and Max rated tires I've always had on the car are overkill. But overkill always works.

The Firestone Firehawk 500 is highly regarded here albeit "merely" an Ultra Performance (third tier) tire.

In a street tire the tread pattern may be a bit cosmetic. I liked the RE-11A and like these:

Here's the S04:

and the Firestone Firehawk 500 (a rebranded Bridgestone):

-- Chuck
Old 01-26-2019, 06:21 AM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

I agree with rpg51 that for the street ultimate grip should be a secondary factor and others, especially steering feel and response, contribute more to the fun of driving our cars. I run 255 square on the track with RS4s (ready to jump to R comps this season) yet on the street I run staggered 225/255 with the Firestone Firehawk Chuck_S mentions. The feedback through the wheel is noticeably better with the Firestones and on the street a little understeer is a good and safe thing. The principle that it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow is really true. And the grip from the Firestones is surprisingly good - given how inexpensive and civilized they are.

Going back to my previous post, it's time for the OP to tell us how he drives the car ...
Old 01-26-2019, 06:27 AM

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I run Fire Hawk Indy 500's. I like them so far after 1,997 miles. I don't drive it in the rain and it is garaged in the winter, so dry and +40 degrees conditions only. Within those, I like them a lot and still have not been able to get them to the cornering limit.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:46 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

I really like the continental ExtremeContact sport for general all around summer use- could be autocross as well. Gives up some steering feel over a 200 UTQG. The Continental is a 340 UTQG.

darcy
Old 01-27-2019, 11:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slicksam
My 2003 S2000 with ap2 v1 mags is in need of tires. need recommendations? thoughts?
I would like grip and they got to look nice.

my tire size are :
front - 215/45zr17
rear - 255/40zr17

thanks
I’m shopping for new tires for my newly purchased ap2...

ive discovered consumerreports.org has updated their tire ratings section ... depending upon your personal preferences you can apply filters to narrow your search , ratings seem to jive more or less with other user reviews on this forum and those from tirerack ...
Old 01-27-2019, 01:51 PM

Thanks for the link! Sure to generate discussion among those who can view it.

CU is using their own grading levels topping out at Ultra Performance. This includes tires classed as the higher Max Performance in the Tire Rack ratings. Tires in what we consider the Extreme level are not on the list I can see. The only performance tire they recommend is the Michelin super sport.

Did you find the criteria for their ratings? For example is tread life part of it? Just curious.

-- Chuck
Old 01-27-2019, 02:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Thanks for the link! Sure to generate discussion among those who can view it.

CU is using their own grading levels topping out at Ultra Performance. This includes tires classed as the higher Max Performance in the Tire Rack ratings. Tires in what we consider the Extreme level are not on the list I can see. The only performance tire they recommend is the Michelin super sport.

Did you find the criteria for their ratings? For example is tread life part of it? Just curious.

-- Chuck

good points Chuck ... i should have mentioned CR only includes "mainstream" tires, they do provide tread life ratings, here's a screenshot of the criteria tested

pm me if you want to know something specific

Quick Reply: tire opinion