Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire recommendations for new s2k owner.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire recommendations for new s2k owner.

Hi everyone. Looking for recommendations for tires. I have a few in mind from looking on tire rack but im not sure. So I have a 2000 ap1, lowered on espiler springs, pretty much stock (intake and exhaust upgraded) and plan on keeping the oem rims and original tire sizes. I do not drive it in the snow, cold, hard rain. Its my weekend/nightime fun car. I do drive a bit spirited on the backroads and twists and do plan on bringing her to the track hopefully by the end of this summer once in awhile. Any suggestions? Have been looking at toyo proxes, re71r, dunlop dz3, ventus rs4, nexen n fera sur4g. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-19-2018, 04:29 AM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

How important are the following:

Excessive tire noise
Rain traction
Tire longevity on street
Tire ability to cope with track conditions
Old 04-19-2018, 05:09 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Any tire in the Max performance category will work, some feel different than others. Extreme performance tires also work and I ran two sets of them, the former Bridgestone RE-11A and Dunlap Star Spec. The Dunlaps were very loud on the road. Since then I've "dropped back" to Max Performance Bridgestone S-04 tires and don't feel any difference compared to the RE-11As. My 2006 has 17" wheels with wider rubber than can be obtained with the 16" wheels. Something you should consider to maximize handling since reproductions are available (current thread running on these wheels). For example you can run 225F/255R without bodywork (at stock suspension height).

A buddy fitted "AP2V1" wheels to his lowered 2002 car and is happy with the choice. He also restored the car to stock ride height with OEM springs and found the car no longer scrapes out on every curb and speed hump.

Watch them Ohio potholes! A few years ago I broke a wheel on I-271 in one. Different car with 40-series tires.

-- Chuck
Old 04-19-2018, 05:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced the near-bald Michelin PS2's the previous owner had on the car with Continental ExtremeContact Sports and am very happy. They're quiet, smooth, and exceptional in the rain. Once the tires heat up, it's almost impossible to lose traction. Doesn't hurt that it was ~$150 cheaper than going with PS2's again, either.
The following users liked this post:
Evangigi (04-27-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 08:01 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Pilot Super Sports
Old 04-19-2018, 08:57 AM

Yea the ohio roads here where I am are brutal! I tend to stay away from the real bad roads even in my truck. I am leaning toward the nexen N FERA SUR4G honestly. I feel it suits my needs, right now anyway. To answer Car Analogy,

Excessive tire noise - Don't care too much about road noise

Rain traction - This isn't real important because right now I dont drive it in the rain. If I do drive in the rain or get cought in it, odds are I wont be on the highway. I tend to stick to backroads.

Tire longevity on street - This is a bit more important to me because I store the car in the garage in the winter and for the amount of money being dropped Id like to get 2-3 summers out of them.

Tire ability to cope with track conditions - In all honestly I feel like I may not make it to a track event this year but I am hoping at least once this summer. I would like something that will not break from the road and heat up quickly. I would like something that provides very good feed back and instant response.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:05 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

If your running the 16" wheels, tire selection is going to be much more finite if you want good handling, simply due to the sidewall height. For that reason alone, I would stick to a known firm/dual ply sidewall constructed summer tire. A sure bet is anything in the extreme summer category. If lower category, verify the construction. Bridgstones typical run firmest. But again 16", so verify. PSS is a single ply/soft side wall tire so not recommended for this car, and definitely not in a 16", nor any typical all season tire. They will be detrimental to the stock/precise handling of your S2000. Very firm Bridgstone S02 came on the ap1 from the factory for a reason. It is one car that is very sensitive to tire choice. Nothing has the largest impact on feel and performance then your tires, so choose very wisely.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 04-19-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ap12000
Hi everyone. Looking for recommendations for tires. I have a few in mind from looking on tire rack but im not sure. So I have a 2000 ap1, lowered on espiler springs, pretty much stock (intake and exhaust upgraded) and plan on keeping the oem rims and original tire sizes. I do not drive it in the snow, cold, hard rain. Its my weekend/nightime fun car. I do drive a bit spirited on the backroads and twists and do plan on bringing her to the track hopefully by the end of this summer once in awhile. Any suggestions? Have been looking at toyo proxes, re71r, dunlop dz3, ventus rs4, nexen n fera sur4g. Thanks in advance!
The tires you mention are all very good options. At that point what are you looking for most? If it is the best handling in the 16" it is the Bridgestone RE71R. If you are willing to give up a little ultimate dry grip in favor of longer life and better wet and quieter I like the Conti Extreme Contact Sport. If price is an issue then a tire like the Firestone Indy 500 is very good and better priced.
If I can help let me know.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:45 AM

I have been researching literally for the last 2 months I have had the car and my eye balls are almost falling out of my head. I really like the OEM rims and they are in real good shape so I am keeping them for a bit until I can afford the ones I want. So just to make it easier I am keeping OEM tire sizes and just looking for a sticky tire I can really push. Something predictable and is quality that MIGHT see track use by the end of summer.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:23 AM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

I've been running the stock wheels on my MY00 AP1 for 3 years now and decided to go with the Bridgestone RE760 for the street in the stock sizes. I have a separate set of 17" wheels for the track and have been happy with the RS4s, albeit they give up some ultimate grip to the RE71s. That said, for the street, it's rare I run out of grip with the RE760s. But if you do like to push to 100% on the street, then go with a max performance tire such as the RE71. I can notice the difference between them on the street, although it's not a fair comparison because track tires are 255 square now.

One other thing to consider is the temperature conditions you will see driving the car. Max performance tires give up noticeable grip as it gets colder, so if you plan to drive in temps say less than 45 deg F, you might be happier with something like the RE760 or its equivalent Firestone 500. The RS4 has far less grip than the those when it's very cold.

Quick Reply: Tire recommendations for new s2k owner.