Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire replacement time

Old 04-06-2019, 01:43 PM

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

I was like you and had only rolled RE050s. I think I had like three sets. One day I ordered a set of RE71s.
I only drive weekends in good weather and I'd like to say my car was setup to handle a performance type event once or twice a year.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:53 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

^I also have RE71R.

They wear fast and has noticeable tire noise. Love the grip though. Think it's overkill and wouldn't recommend for your intended usage though.

I used to have the S-04 Pole Positions. They did me well for spirited driving since it delivers plenty of grip for canyon carving. I also tracked on the S-04s twice and liked how it handle for a 280 TW tire.
Old 04-07-2019, 04:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a few days on newly installed set of Bridgestone S007A. So far, I am extremely pleased with this tire.
Old 04-07-2019, 04:27 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

How's the tread noise with the S007A tires? I'm a long way from needing to replace my S04s but am always looking and know the RE71R tires are to loud for me.

-- Chuck
Old 04-07-2019, 04:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
How's the tread noise with the S007A tires? I'm a long way from needing to replace my S04s but am always looking and know the RE71R tires are to loud for me.

-- Chuck
Silent. Only two days on them, give or take 100 miles. Today will be the third . Good mix of driving btwn highway and backroads. So far impressed, The car just sticks, tires quite, and compliant. My car ,07, has stock suspension and wheels, running OEM sizes. Doing a performance driving event next month, will have more feedback and miles.

Last edited by Fuoss484; 04-07-2019 at 05:22 AM.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:04 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

I never understood tire noise as a perquisite on this car, all I hear is wind noise and engine with the top down, and the car rarely gets driven with the top up. Comfort and noise was never high on the list for features on this car. I would never let a little added tire noise screw me out of experiencing better performance out of this car. But i'm weird that way I guess.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:20 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
I never understood tire noise as a perquisite on this car, all I hear is wind noise and engine with the top down, and the car rarely gets driven with the top up. Comfort and noise was never high on the list for features on this car. I would never let a little added tire noise screw me out of experiencing better performance out of this car. But i'm weird that way I guess.
I can understand what you're saying but I suppose it depends on your perspective. Most of my on-road fun prior to the S2000 was spent aboard motorcycles. From that perspective the S2000, while pretty noisy by regular car standards, isn't all that loud. To be honest, in my opinion driving a car like the S2000 with the top down is to experience all of the right kind of noises. But in some cases tire noise, like certain exhausts, can become taxing for some My guess is that I do not require class-leading grip in order to have more fun and experience more enjoyment from the car. If I end up with tires that maintain the precise steering feel I currently enjoy then I'll be pretty happy and it already seems like a given that traction levels will be better what I'm used to with the RE050. I'm not prioritizing quietness by any means but if the new tires happen to be more quiet than what I'm certainly okay with that.

Thanks to all for the continued comments. At this point I'm leaning towards the Bridgestone S-04 Pole Positions. I really do appreciate all of the input.

Last edited by GuthNW; 04-07-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:51 PM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

The Dunlop "Star Spec Somethings" that were on my car when I bought it were annoying loud in the extreme especially when slapping on every pavement joint. Took much of the enjoyment out of driving the car. They went to a good home along with the black Enkei RPF1 wheels just as soon as I could get good AP2V2 wheels and Bridgestone RE11A tires delivered. The wheels were, and are, the hard part. My wife accuses me of overly fast driving, especially on curvy roads -- but I've never experienced tire squeal on the RE11A or S04 tires so I'm really just a puppy dog driver.

Extracts of Tire Racks comments on the RE71R -- and the reasons I skipped Extreme rated tires this time:
It's intrusively loud and firm to the point of being harsh....The Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R is the textbook Extreme Performance tire. Amazing dry traction and handling on the track or the road are countered with a jarringly stiff ride and an inordinate amount of noise.
Tire Rack states "Bridgestone claims the Potenza S007A is the spiritual successor to the Potenza RE-11, and our testing shows it slots neatly between the manufacturer's Max- and Extreme Performance products."

.-- Chuck
Old 04-07-2019, 01:51 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
My wife accuses me of overly fast driving, especially on curvy roads
LOL, When my wife and I are enjoying the car together it's a struggle to keep her happy while enjoying the drive. This car with it's rev-happy engine, sitting low to the ground while making plenty of noises tends to really exaggerate the perceived speed that one is traveling at. For me it's exactly that experience that more than makes up for the lack of torque and brute power. Add to that what these cars are capable of in the curves and even if I'm not really pushing things hard it can be hard for her to relax. After years of owning motorcycles that my wife won't touch, the big reason that we wanted a roadster in the first place was so that we could enjoy being out exploring the road together. I'll admit to being surprised by how much fun this car is. But ultimately I can take things at a more leisurely pace to keep the peace.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:05 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by GuthNW
LOL, When my wife and I are enjoying the car together it's a struggle to keep her happy while enjoying the drive. This car with it's rev-happy engine, sitting low to the ground while making plenty of noises tends to really exaggerate the perceived speed that one is traveling at. For me it's exactly that experience that more than makes up for the lack of torque and brute power. Add to that what these cars are capable of in the curves and even if I'm not really pushing things hard it can be hard for her to relax. After years of owning motorcycles that my wife won't touch, the big reason that we wanted a roadster in the first place was so that we could enjoy being out exploring the road together. I'll admit to being surprised by how much fun this car is. But ultimately I can take things at a more leisurely pace to keep the peace.

The story as old as sports cars themselves.

If the girlfriends cant deal with the car and my spirited driving they don't last long. The car brings me far too much joy to be precluded from my life how I see it fit. Women come and go, but my highly modded S2k is forever

Quick Reply: Tire replacement time