Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires 220tw and above

Old 05-24-2017, 11:05 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Tires 220tw and above

Im looking to do a global time attack event next year at RA in enthusiast class which has a tw limit of 220. Since Ive only used and researched 200tw and r-comp tires for autocross and track events, Im not really familiar with tires over 200tw besides what Ive skimmed on s2ki. Ive only used RS2v2 and NT01's on track and I know Im not going to be getting the same performance with tires of a lesser category. In peoples experience, what are good track tires that fit my requirements. The setup will be square 255 or 245 17's with aero. I was considering PSS's, Firehawk Indy 500 or the Zestino Gredge. Ive seen the positive reviews for the firehawks as well as the new Continentals. I am leaning towards the Firehawks since theyre cheap and Id like to wear a set down to feel them out but if anyone has positive experience with others, please chime in. Thanks!
Old 05-25-2017, 04:12 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Since the PSSs are discontinued, your best choice are Pilot Sport 2s, which are right at 220twr
Old 05-25-2017, 05:46 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Lowest treadwear rating of 220 or higher at Tire Rack appears to be the Bridgestone S-04 tire "rated" at 280. I know it's available in 245mm and 255mm. All the others I see there have higher numbers. Doesn't mean they're less efficient, just that they have different numbers. Tire testing is more important than a number on the sidewall. Your competitors have probably done this. Run what the winners run.

A low treadwear rating does not mean it has better grip and comparing between tire brands is not completely helpful as tire manufacturers assign a treadwear rating to each tire model as a comparison between tire models for a given brand. High performance tires typically wear faster than generic tires but since this is up to the manufacturer they can slap on any number they want. Easy to make a generic tire into a performance tire by putting a low treadwear number on the sidewall.

-- Chuck
The following users liked this post:
Afterfire (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Lowest treadwear rating of 220 or higher at Tire Rack appears to be the Bridgestone S-04 tire "rated" at 280. I know it's available in 245mm and 255mm. All the others I see there have higher numbers. Doesn't mean they're less efficient, just that they have different numbers. Tire testing is more important than a number on the sidewall. Your competitors have probably done this. Run what the winners run.

A low treadwear rating does not mean it has better grip and comparing between tire brands is not completely helpful as tire manufacturers assign a treadwear rating to each tire model as a comparison between tire models for a given brand. High performance tires typically wear faster than generic tires but since this is up to the manufacturer they can slap on any number they want. Easy to make a generic tire into a performance tire by putting a low treadwear number on the sidewall.

-- Chuck
I agree. Unfortunately the class isnt as glorified as the others with well sponsored cars, so specs arent really thrown out there but from this year at RA and personally knowing the competitor who came in 2nd, he ran the Zestino(he just chose it because they sponsored him), the person in first was running PSS's(at least thats what it looked like on his Instagram) that looked like they rolled over due to his weight and the guy in third had Achilles 123S(not a fan of Achilles in general). I also agree that treadwear doesnt determine performance however, in this case its determining what is allowable for me. Like you said, if a 320tw (like the Extremecontact Sports) performs better than a 280 tw, that knowledge only comes from experience so a tw search on TR doesnt really give me much data on what tire provides better grip just by looking at their ratings, especially when hot on track lap after lap. The MotoIQ review of the Continentals show its on par or better than the outgoing PSS's. Because of both the longevity of the tires and that I dont have a lot of money to blow on tire testing, I have to rely on the track pioneers on here and some of the rest of the internet to help make an informed decision. For example, if someone who ran the Firestones also ran RS3's can compare them as equal when hot or just falls short or maybe they also used PSS's and they arent as good or if theyre better than the Firestones that would be ideal information. I guess thats what Im looking for mainly. Track experience to determine what street tires over 220 behave as good as the higher tier tires. And in a perfect world, times between tires for people who've set pb's on them. But thats just wishful thinking haha. I appreciate the feedback, Chuck!
Old 05-25-2017, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S

-- Chuck
220twr PS2: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...S2N3&tab=Sizes
The following users liked this post:
Afterfire (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by RedCelica
Hey RedCelica. Do you have experience with the PS2's? Im looking at TR's site and while it is an older review, they put the PS2's third behind the Goodyears and Continental DW's, which the Sport replaces and have been hailed as superior.. Im not taking that review as the final verdict though and Ill do more research on them. Thanks! I appreciate the feedback!
Old 05-25-2017, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Afterfire
Hey RedCelica. Do you have experience with the PS2's? Im looking at TR's site and while it is an older review, they put the PS2's third behind the Goodyears and Continental DW's, which the Sport replaces and have been hailed as superior.. Im not taking that review as the final verdict though and Ill do more research on them. Thanks! I appreciate the feedback!
DWs are crap on track, softer sidewall and not predictable (I'd pick them as a decent rain tire though)...note in that testing that PS2s achieved the fastest dry lap times: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=140

It's your clear choice IMO. To answer your question, no I've never run them, but the data shows the results.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:46 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the Achilles 123S might be an option

http://www.achillesradial.com/tire/competition/30/123S
Old 05-25-2017, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by RedCelica
DWs are crap on track, softer sidewall and not predictable (I'd pick them as a decent rain tire though)...note in that testing that PS2s achieved the fastest dry lap times: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=140

It's your clear choice IMO. To answer your question, no I've never run them, but the data shows the results.
Ill agree, all the reviews and experiences say that the DW's have a terribly soft sidewall, which is why I said I wasnt considering them, but rather the new ExtremeContact Sports which MotoIQ did an in depth review of and put them on par or better than PSS's (I know that youre talking about PS2's). A TR post represents that the PSS's are better than PS2: Michelin Pilot Super Sport vs. Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 - Make Driving Fun with Performance Tires & Wheels | Tire Rack

Just as an aside, I dont see the PS2 achieving the fastest lap times in the graph you showed, but rather the Eagle F1's at 29.12. Maybe Im looking in the wrong place. But in all that data, the PS2's and DW's arent that far away from each other, and as you said, everyone reports the DW's as being bad on track.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:30 AM

Ah I was referring between the DWs and the PS2s...the Eagle's may be the best performer, but I didnt see them listed in a 255/40/17

Quick Reply: Tires 220tw and above