Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track wheels and BBK

Old 09-14-2017, 06:35 AM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

I finally had time to install the new wheels and from an aesthetics point of view, am pleasantly surprised that the Nurburgring wheels look a lot better than I had expected; I chose them primarily because of their BBK clearance and price given they are only for the track.

I've only had a chance to drive locally on relatively slow and smooth roads so no rubbing yet. But it looks like there is potential up front. Ideally I would like to drive them and see if/where there is rubbing and then address it if it's significant. But I've seen a few comments elsewhere about tearing the front fenders at the two tabs holding the fender liner. Here are the details of my setup: springs are 11k front and camber is 3.2 deg. I was conservative (I think) with setting the front ride height at 340mm (~13 3/8").

I would of course prefer to avoid rolling the fenders if possible. What do you think about trying them out in the real world to see if there is rubbing with the hope that it would be rare and minor? Or am I taking a big risk of damaging a fender?
Old 09-18-2017, 09:44 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

You could be fine for a wile, and then the one time you have a buddy with you/added weight and go to pull up a driveway with the wheel slightly turned and catch the lip and yank the fender down, its all over with. Id at least just go ahead and bend those two mount tabs up to help the tire glide over it if it does touch, rather then catch it. If you have strong fingers you don't even need a tool. Its pretty thin metal.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:39 PM

I see how I could bend the two front tabs by hand. But then why would anyone need to use a fender roller for the front? I feel like I'm missing something obvious.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:09 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by DanielB
I see how I could bend the two front tabs by hand. But then why would anyone need to use a fender roller for the front? I feel like I'm missing something obvious.
Depends on how far/complete you want to take it. The fender roller is needed to pull the fenders in large part.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:32 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

I swear to god how many times do I have to say the tabs ARE NOT THE ISSUE?!?! The tabs don't get caught by the fender. The little plastic clips may get rubbed more visibly than the rest of the liner but the lip between the upper most tabs is what I have seen get caught by a tire when it happens. The lip gets caught and pulled down usually making a fun blade that then cuts your tire and your tire can then continue to catch more of the lip and fender. To fix this problem you 100% need a fender roller if you don't want it to look like crap.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:49 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
I swear to god how many times do I have to say the tabs ARE NOT THE ISSUE?!?! The tabs don't get caught by the fender. The little plastic clips may get rubbed more visibly than the rest of the liner but the lip between the upper most tabs is what I have seen get caught by a tire when it happens. The lip gets caught and pulled down usually making a fun blade that then cuts your tire and your tire can then continue to catch more of the lip and fender. To fix this problem you 100% need a fender roller if you don't want it to look like crap.
Excuuuuuuse me

Let me clarify. Bend all that shit up so the tire doesn't catch anything.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:55 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Has anyone tested the new wheel by Titan7? It looks promising.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:42 PM

Ok, I get it now (apologies if it took a while to sink in) why I need the fender roller. So I don't know anyone around me with one to borrow and they don't look too expensive. But the Max GT Fender Roller Magna_Spawn recommends doesn't appear to be available anymore, or at least I'm not able to find it. So what is a good alternative for someone who is not going to do this very often?

What about the Eastwood at $70?

There are many other knock offs on Amazon and eBay but there are too many reviews for my taste saying the unit broke before they could finish the second fender. To my untrained eye, they all look like they came out of the same factory in China.

Edit: after reading more of the reviews of the Eastwood on their site as well as Jeggs, it seems its quality and durability isn't much better than the no-names on eBay and Amazon. Any reason not to buy one of the others and save a few bucks?

Last edited by DanielB; 09-19-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-18-2020, 02:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 949

I know this thread is dead but if anyone happens to stumble on here figured Id throw in my .02. Based off the recomendation from the guys at 949 I ordered the 17x9 +55 to work with my Stoptech st40 kit. IT ABSOLUTELY WONT CLEAR!!! Ed assured me they would, I wanted the +48 but they had no Eta and I have a track day coming up. I put on my 15mm spacers and measured, will definately need at least 8mm spacers. Im ordering cuatom 8mm spacers to try and make them work. Best if luck.
Old 07-13-2021, 05:16 PM

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by splice247
I know this thread is dead but if anyone happens to stumble on here figured Id throw in my .02. Based off the recommendation from the guys at 949 I ordered the 17x9 +55 to work with my Stoptech st40 kit. IT ABSOLUTELY WONT CLEAR!!! Ed assured me they would, I wanted the +48 but they had no Eta and I have a track day coming up. I put on my 15mm spacers and measured, will definitely need at least 8mm spacers. I'm ordering custom 8mm spacers to try and make them work. Best if luck.
Dead threads get read. Thank you for the information.

Quick Reply: Track wheels and BBK