Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why wheels bent!!! Help!!!

Old 09-16-2001, 05:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why wheels bent!!! Help!!!

Hi guys (and gals).......

I got these new wheels about a week ago. Last night I hit a bump on the highway (change in level between 2 slabs) at about 50 mph, and ALL FOUR rims bent!!! The lips are noticeably warped, and you can feel it in the ride. I want to take them back to the store I got them at, but I don't know if I have the right. I know wheels (no matter how big) are not supposed to do this.

I need some advice as to what I should do..... It is my impression that I was sold crap. I already want my $$$ back. But If they refuse, should I tell the credit card company to stiff them? Do I have the right? Will it screw up my credit?

Thanks
Old 09-16-2001, 07:18 AM
S2R

I've bent my 17" RH C5s in the past due to potholes as well. Unfortunately, you can't return rims that you've damaged. However, you can get them repaired. I paid like ~$135 to repair each damaged rim. After that I would only buy forged rims, since they're much stronger. Thus forged rims are more resistant to such damage.
Old 09-16-2001, 07:48 AM

On 19" wheels, there isn't enough sidewall on the tire to absorb road bumps. 30 or 35 series tires on an S2000 is the problem, not the wheels.
Old 09-16-2001, 11:10 AM

Ok, maybe I wasn't clear as to how this happened. I didn't hit a pothole... I was merely getting on the on-ramp on the highway, and ran over a little shift in the slab at under 50 mph. The damage sustained was pretty serious.... the car vibrates at speed now. I think it's just too much, and one week after I got the rims? It's not like I hit a pothole, or sustained a serious blow. I know there's probably no warranty, but I'm gonna try to get my money back.
Old 09-16-2001, 11:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what about reporting it to the state/local county and have them pay for the wheels? it might take approximately 3 to 4 months but they might pay up.

read up about the wheel issue that one individual claimed (and was denied for stupid reasons) at s2kdays on the dragon.
Old 09-16-2001, 07:47 PM

You should be able to claim this with your insurance. If your transmission blows up because something cracks your case, insurance will cover it.
Old 09-17-2001, 09:31 AM

Ok,

Here's my last post for this thread. As far as insurance is concerned, I thought about it - but I hadn't put the new wheels on my policy yet (remember I only had them a week when they got bent). Here's a picture of typical damage sustained:

I have nine more photos is anyone is interested...

Note that this damage was sustained on ALL FOUR wheels. I went back to the location where it happened, and saw that they were repaving the highway ramp that I was getting on. There were no signs warning of the bump in the road (almost a 90 degree angle, 1.5" - 2" height). I haven't gotten pics of that yet - but I'm going to go back this afternoon and get some. The wheel retailer suggested that I try to get the dept. of transportation to pay, since the manufacturer would not honor a defect claim on this.

I really need some advice on this. I know I'm not to blame for the situation. The wheels are sub-par construction, but the city was also doing road work without signs. Who's responsible? I refuse to accept the loss personally.

Please respond to this post, or email me @ steve@transio.com. Also, Ben at Bulletproof, or S2R (or anyone else who deals in aftermarket rims) - I'd really appreciate feedback from you guys given this info - I'm sure you have experience in the matter. Please advise.

Thanks
Old 09-17-2001, 10:46 AM

Those look dead easy to repair.
Old 09-17-2001, 12:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A local former owner experienced the rim damage in Asheville. He hit an area of road that had started to crumble and had a heck of a time locating a replacement rim in rural North Carolina so that he could make it home.

Some of the replies address the responsibility (or lack thereof) of the local department of transportation. Your situation may be different since road work was being done in the area.

Here's a link to the thread, complete with pictures: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...?threadid=23875

Good luck with sorting this all out.
Old 09-17-2001, 02:23 PM

Did your tires have proper air pressure? I think you should accept responsibility for buying the wheels and for driving over the bump at the speed you were going. Good luck with your lawsuits

Quick Reply: Why wheels bent!!! Help!!!