Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why wheels bent!!! Help!!!

Old 09-19-2001, 02:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might have a case w/the DOT, however part of it is your fault. Think about it...Unless you live in a perfect world where there's smooth roads everywhere, you're going to have problems (more then likely) w/19" rims. Non-forged, 19", 2-piece rims combined w/rubberband tires...What did you expect? I'm just being honest & speaking my mind. Heck, when I had my 18" rims (Work wheels), I always felt uncomfortable going over every little bump in the road. I can understand if one or maybe even 2 rims got bent, however all 4? That should tell you something about the quality of those rims right there. Did you have in writing it was forged-aluminum wheels? If not, then I guess you're out of luck. I suggest if you want to get 19" rims again, go w/a proven, premier wheel company like HRE, Kinesis or Fikes.
Old 09-19-2001, 04:46 AM
S2R

I would check to see what the receipt says. If it mentions either "forged" or "3 pc", you probably have recourse against the shop.

Also, I would try to make a claim against the city. See if you can find out if other people bent their rims on the same road as you did. That might help convince the city to take responsibility.

Btw, if I was told that these were 3pc forged rims, and later on find out that they're not. I would probably stop the payment to them as well.
Old 09-19-2001, 05:41 AM

This really sucks......sorry to hear they bent. I went with 17s just for this reason.

I don't know about getting your money back. But if you do get a second set of wheels I would assume the shop would be very sympathetic to your situation and offer some serious discounts instead of going to court etc.

Good luck.
Old 09-19-2001, 06:19 AM

Thanks for the support and comments, everyone. I admit that part of this situation was my own fault, due to my ignorance. I really do feel that I was screwed by the salesman, though. He honed in on my lack of knowledge and sold me an inferior product. He really had me convinced that they were great wheels (even though they're a far cry from the forged 18" lightweight 3-piece that I went into the shop asking for). I was gullible. I even specifically asked him if 19" wheels would be a problem with potholes, etc. He told me that these were very strong forged aircraft aluminum. I honestly didn't even realize that these were "ghetto cruising rims" until I posted them in the "photo gallery" and got comments like that.

Bleh.

I'm tired of thinking about this crap. It just makes me sick. Again, thanks for the comments, everyone.

Old 09-19-2001, 06:40 AM

With the state of the roads in the Kansas City area, I've basically gone offroading in my 18 Work Miester rims. They haven't been compromised a bit and I've had them for about 7,500 miles.

Knock on wood. Now that I've said that I'll probably bend all four on the drive home from work today.
Old 09-19-2001, 06:50 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jaded41
[B]With the state of the roads in the Kansas City area, I've basically gone offroading in my 18 Work Miester rims.
Old 09-19-2001, 07:35 AM

No performance point, that I can think of, in going bigger than 17s. I think the only reason to go with 17s is to have wider tire choices. Bigger wheels=show only.
Old 09-19-2001, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by jschmidt
No performance point, that I can think of, in going bigger than 17s. I think the only reason to go with 17s is to have wider tire choices. Bigger wheels=show only.
YUP! That's why my replacements are going to be 16" - Performance!
Old 09-19-2001, 04:31 PM
Ben

Wider is better...

285s on mine.

For more info:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...?threadid=21100
Old 09-28-2001, 06:17 AM

man that really sucks... I know the feeling .. I let my roomate take my car out for couple of hours and he brought the car back with 3 of my wheels bent. these are not stock rims!!!!! they're work meister rims mind you. although it wasn't bent bad enough to see I felt the vibrations and took it in. sure enough... the good news is that Wheel of America can fix them. plus they refinish the whole wheel for $109 per wheel and they gurantee it for life. I'm picking mine up today as matter of fact, and I also had the wheels painted in much darker shade (close to gunmetal) instead of regular shiny silver. I'll repost on the quality and finish once i pick them up later this afternoon. give them a try, www.fixrim.com

Quick Reply: Why wheels bent!!! Help!!!