Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Widest/Grippiest Tires for Stock AP1 Rims?

Old 06-14-2018, 03:20 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by gregor_konstantin
Thanks for the input.
a) i got these at TireRack and I dont see them carrying federal. thoughts?
b) suggestions on the sizes or stick to stock tire sizes?

thanks.
I hope they take them back. I also hope tire rack didn't recommend those tires to you for an s2000. That would damage their credibility to offer sound advice/recommendations.

Its been a long time since ive needed to shop for 16". But if memory serves the alternative size option for stock wheels would be 215/50 fronts and 245/45 rears. I would go with what ever size comes with the best performing tire. If its in oem size, fine, if its in the alternative size, thats fine too. The tire construction/brand/category is going to be much more important in this case.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:04 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I probably sound like a broken record. But, I have a different take on this. In my opinion the best and most enjoyable street driving set up - for lively driving on twisty country roads - is stock size tires, not over size tires. If you are on the track, or driving autocross, it is probably different. I don't know. But for street, my feeling is stick with stock. For 16 inch wheels I like the new Continental Extremecontact Sports in stock sizes, not oversize. I hear good things about the Firestones as well. I honestly feel zero need for extreme performance category summer tires. If you go oversize in the front, the car will lose a lot of its inherent liveliness on the street in my opinion. The steering suffers. The modern max performance or even lesser tires stick very well, almost too well for some. Some have good stiff sidewalls. I feel zero need for wider tires. My car is pure joy in its current set up. I drive every day to and from work on good paved twisty back road through the country. Its a blast. While I don't think it is a huge deal, I prefer using very light 16 inch wheels with high quality rubber over 17 inch wheels. Certainly, good light 17 inch wheels with stock size tires are fine too. I just don't buy into this bigger is better philosophy that we all seem to get sucked into. Not for street driving.

Last edited by rpg51; 06-14-2018 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:50 PM
Community Organizer

I guess my 17" 255/315 stagger would be considered a bit "oversized"
Old 06-15-2018, 02:42 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
I guess my 17" 255/315 stagger would be considered a bit "oversized"
Maybe just a tiny bit on the big side?
There is so much ink on this issue all over the forum. Am I just off the wall on this topic in your view?
I will say that when I am driving on dry twisty roads I literally never loose traction with my set up. What is it that people prefer about bigger tires? I honestly don't get it.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
I hope they take them back. I also hope tire rack didn't recommend those tires to you for an s2000. That would damage their credibility to offer sound advice/recommendations.

Its been a long time since ive needed to shop for 16". But if memory serves the alternative size option for stock wheels would be 215/50 fronts and 245/45 rears. I would go with what ever size comes with the best performing tire. If its in oem size, fine, if its in the alternative size, thats fine too. The tire construction/brand/category is going to be much more important in this case.

thank you for the input. I have initiated a claim. Toyo has a "No regrets 500 mile or 45 day trial" warranty through which tirerack is taking these back.
the tires in stock sizes are limited. going with Firehawk Indy 500's with which i have very positive experience, lets see how that goes.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:24 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by rpg51
Maybe just a tiny bit on the big side?
Am I just off the wall on this topic in your view?
I will say that when I am driving on dry twisty roads I literally never loose traction with my set up. What is it that people prefer about bigger tires? I honestly don't get it.
No, you run what you feel suits the level of performance you are comfortable with. Nothing wrong with that. I push the limits on my driving and equipment because I enjoy the sport, naturally that carry's over into making enhancements to the this car that exceed its normal scope. There are often some amount of trade offs when you make a change/modification but its usually gain several to lose one, and as long as you consider the whole scope of what those compromises are and it fits into the scope/end game of what you want to achieve then you cant argue with that either. Wide tires on properly wide wheels improve grip and stability, what you give up is some additional rolling weight. The amount of added Grip and stability/feel of the car for me outweighs the slight detriment of a few lb a corner. Some of that can be made up in other areas, but there is no replacement what gains in tire/wheel widths. Some would argue in an increase in sticky compound and keep close to stock size/weight, and that's fair, unless A either you are already running the stickiest legal compound, or you want the most grip possible wile still having some reasonable tire longevity to go with it. This is especially important on a dual duty track/street car which is a compromised situation, so pick where your willing to compromise, more track oriented and live with it on the street or the other way around.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 06-15-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:29 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by gregor_konstantin
thank you for the input. I have initiated a claim. Toyo has a "No regrets 500 mile or 45 day trial" warranty through which tirerack is taking these back.
the tires in stock sizes are limited. going with Firehawk Indy 500's with which i have very positive experience, lets see how that goes.
No prob. I haven't run those tires myself, but I do hear lot of good feedback on them. I think they will be a much better handling choice.