Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter tire question (new thread!)

Old 09-10-2006, 04:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Winter tire question (new thread!)

I have a 2006 (4 weeks old), and its an EDM (2.0L/8900rpm redline).

Tires are 215/45/17 (front), 245/40/17 (rear); and it came with Bridgestone RE050s.

Now, where I live, I need to place tire orders beforehand to get them in a timely fashion.

I'm not looking for snow grip --I'll be driving the 4x4 for that--but for excellent dry/cold/wet grip (wear and price unimportant).

It seems the Bridgestone Blizzak LM22s have the exact sizes, meet the minimum weight and speed rating requirements, but are they compatible with the exceptionally narrow front tire treadwidth phenomena? (6.7 inches compared to 7.6-8.0 on other 215s)

People say putting normal 215s on the front would increase oversteer because of the increased frontal grip.
Keep in mind I wont be using this car in the snow, so having more narrow tires and increasing snow grip is not a goal of mine here.

What brand/size are you (AP2 owners with stock 17s) using to keep the handling characteristics the same?
Old 09-10-2006, 07:51 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by brimstone,Sep 10 2006, 06:38 AM
I wont be using this car in the snow, so having more narrow tires and increasing snow grip is not a goal of mine here.
Then why even bother getting winter tires? Why not just get a set of all season tires in the stock sizes?
Old 09-11-2006, 06:59 AM

As of last check at Tire Rack a week or so ago, there were NO all seasons (or winters) available for the 2006. There are a few all seasons now but no winters.

I have the same questions as brimstone other than price IS important I also don't need tires that will do 200 miles an hour; I'm willing to sacrifice a little performance for a lower price and longevity on non summers.

I am looking for something I can use right up through November or later - until it snows here in Vermont. And if I could find something that will be OK to use at a driving school/track day on Oct 20 that would be a big bonus.

It's my understanding that the stock tires will not be grippy at 30 or less degrees which is about what we can expect in NH at the end of October.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 09-11-2006, 05:33 PM

xviper, you're by far the most knowledgable person around here--I guess you answered while drunk or tired

Thank you Tadashi for clearing that up.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:41 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Actually, I wasn't drunk. I was dead serious. If you don't plan to drive in any kind of snow, go for an all season tire. You just have to know how to search TireRack. For example, look here:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?ma...Zero+Nero+M%26S

The Pirelli P Zero Nero M&S would be the perfect all season tire for your use. These will give you excellent cold, dry road performance with very little lost in performance that a true winter tire would do. This tire would also allow you to encounter a bit of snow should you get caught out "with your pants down".

Since the '06 tire sizing didn't change, you have to search different brands and then cross reference the size you want.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:37 AM

Thanks for the reply! I have "my vehicle" setup at TireRack and just asked them to show me all tires that fit my car. I've been checking since June and yesterday was the first time I saw all seasons listed. I got a set that I think will meet my needs.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:42 AM

Tadashi: What set did you end up getting?
Old 09-13-2006, 07:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The advantage of the winter tire is that the rubber will stay softer and grip better than an all season tire when it is below 45 degrees. Even on a dry road. A tire like the Winter Sport M3 or the Blizzak LM would be real good choices.
If I can help let me know.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Sep 11 2006, 07:41 PM
Actually, I wasn't drunk. I was dead serious. If you don't plan to drive in any kind of snow, go for an all season tire. You just have to know how to search TireRack. For example, look here:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?ma...Zero+Nero+M%26S

The Pirelli P Zero Nero M&S would be the perfect all season tire for your use. These will give you excellent cold, dry road performance with very little lost in performance that a true winter tire would do. This tire would also allow you to encounter a bit of snow should you get caught out "with your pants down".

Since the '06 tire sizing didn't change, you have to search different brands and then cross reference the size you want.
Noooooo to Pirellis. Believe me - the last thing you want to get caught in the snow with them. These tires (Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S) are terrible in summer (car behaves like crazy, change direction itself when accelerating decelarating), horrible at cold (no grip whatsoever) and undrivable in snow (been there, done that, happy to survive)!!!! I HAVE THEM AND AS WE SPEAK I AM THROWING THEM AWAY!

For S2k you MUST get summer only tires and if you want to drive in Winter you must get dedicated winter tires.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:30 AM

If you're seriously contemplating winter tires, get AP1 wheels. Tires in 16" are usually a decent amount cheaper.

Quick Reply: Winter tire question (new thread!)