The Windy City - Off Topic A place to relax and unwind. Off topic section of the UMW.

I don't want to work XXI

Old 02-18-2014, 05:16 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,909 Posts

It does.

I was here til 7 last night
Old 02-18-2014, 05:23 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5,250 Likes on 4,492 Posts

teleconference about in 20 minutes...
Old 02-18-2014, 05:54 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by chazzguitar
Oh, and Pete, let's talk re: summerfest -- i'll let you know when they start announcing acts at the free stages (some of the headliners have been revealed but those are regular shows and you don't really get the sfest experience), and you let me know when you'd like to come up and we can coordinate. they typically do deals for admission each day (it's like $18 just to get in the door) if you go early, so i'd suggest taking time off work -- makes for a cheaper day, and as the days wear on it gets more and more and more crowded/annoyingly drunk -- i typically stop having fun around 7.
I gots the time, I'm happy to take it off.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:07 AM

The iPad is going to be no-bueno for the vaca. I need to be able to backup my pictures and it's either a $500 dedicated device with a hard drive and a card reader attached (plus the iPad) OR a laptop. Turns out a new, highly portable laptop is cheaper, and for me, easier too. So I just ordered a new laptop for the trip. (I'm also going to take a portable hard drive with me. Going to keep the hard drive in the hotel safe, backup to BOTH devices each night, then return the HD to the hotel safe. JUST to keep them separate.) It may sound extreme, but I know people that use 4 copies of their pictures when they travel.

I grabbed the Dell 11 3000 series yesterday when it was on sale for President's day. 11" screen, weighs less than 3lbs and is less than 1" thick. Not as small as an iPad, but WAY smaller than either of my 15" laptops. It also has the new Haswell series processor in it which gives it a reported 8hrs of battery life! That's pretty awesome if it's 1/2 true!

4GB RAM, 500GB HD, should give me plenty of space to bring a few movies with, and backup ALL the pictures I take.

Built-in Wifi, Bluetooth, SD card reader, USB 3.0. Oh yeah, AND it's got a touchscreen. I went for the upgraded processor and it only ran $400 with tax, and shipping. Pretty smokin' deal IMHO.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:38 AM
Site Moderator

Audi's still in the shop. Grrrr.

They've had it since Dec 30th.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:48 AM
Former Moderator

wut
Old 02-18-2014, 09:21 AM
Site Moderator

I dropped it off since I think there's something wrong in the tranny or diff, they're telling me the exhaust was rubbing on the chassis causing the vibration.

They found that one of the hangers was resting on the chassis so they were going to get Stasis to replace the exhaust, but each time they have to diagnose the car they have to send the ECU back to Stasis to detune it. They've supposedly done that twice now and I was under the impression I was going to get the car back last week.

I called today and they said they'd have to call me back. I think they've realised it's not the exhaust and something is actually wrong with the tranny/diff.

Dummys.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:37 AM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

35 degrees never felt so good
Old 02-18-2014, 09:41 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by sam_spider
I dropped it off since I think there's something wrong in the tranny or diff, they're telling me the exhaust was rubbing on the chassis causing the vibration. They found that one of the hangers was resting on the chassis so they were going to get Stasis to replace the exhaust, but each time they have to diagnose the car they have to send the ECU back to Stasis to detune it. They've supposedly done that twice now and I was under the impression I was going to get the car back last week. I called today and they said they'd have to call me back. I think they've realised it's not the exhaust and something is actually wrong with the tranny/diff. Dummys.
Sometimes I wonder if any know what they're doing. It's like if the computer doesn't see it - then it isn't broken...
Old 02-18-2014, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by sam_spider
I dropped it off since I think there's something wrong in the tranny or diff, they're telling me the exhaust was rubbing on the chassis causing the vibration.

They found that one of the hangers was resting on the chassis so they were going to get Stasis to replace the exhaust, but each time they have to diagnose the car they have to send the ECU back to Stasis to detune it. They've supposedly done that twice now and I was under the impression I was going to get the car back last week.

I called today and they said they'd have to call me back. I think they've realised it's not the exhaust and something is actually wrong with the tranny/diff.

Dummys.
German cars are dumb.

Quick Reply: I don't want to work XXI