The Windy City - Off Topic A place to relax and unwind. Off topic section of the UMW.

I don't want to work XXV - Traveling sausages edition

Old 04-25-2017, 12:08 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Old 04-26-2017, 04:50 AM

what's up you guys? Everybody's so quiet...
Old 04-26-2017, 05:11 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Nothing here. My yard looks awful & I should address it but I do not have the slightest idea how to proceed.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
Nothing here. My yard looks awful & I should address it but I do not have the slightest idea how to proceed.
You can always take my approach: ignore it as long as there's a worse looking yard on the block.

I really need to do something about mine too.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:16 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
I have Scott's (now Trugreen) come out and treat ours a few times a year, it helps, and isn't expensive. Not sure if that's the type of awful you're referring to or not.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:24 AM

after 6 years of the dog emptying his ballast tanks all over our yard, i'm not sure there's much we can do aside from ripping it all up and starting over. :/

Group buy on grass seed?
Old 04-26-2017, 06:49 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by chazzguitar
You can always take my approach: ignore it as long as there's a worse looking yard on the block.

I really need to do something about mine too.
At the moment I think I'm the worst on the block

Originally Posted by sam_spider
I have Scott's (now Trugreen) come out and treat ours a few times a year, it helps, and isn't expensive. Not sure if that's the type of awful you're referring to or not.
Thankfully the grass in my front yard can be characterized as 'Okay.' But weeds have COMPLETELY overtaken the badly set-up flower beds I inherited from the previous owner (he was 98 when he moved out, I can't imagine a lot of preventative maintenance had been done the last few years), my Mom is going to come out this weekend and we're going to attempt to get it looking okay. She's a master of yard aesthetics, so we should be able to get it presentable.

My backyard is just a mudpit with a bunch of weeds. There is so much tree coverage that short of taking a tree or two down, I'll never get much to work back there. Thankfully I don't have kids that would like to play in it & it will soon just become a restroom for a dog. That said, I'd like for it to look okay, so that is about number eight on my to-do list for the house.

-Sort front/side yard
-Paint house/trim/door
-Minor renovation to back porch to enable side-by-side parking in my driveway to avoid street parking
-Wall coverings for living room
-New floor in kitchen
-Renovate master bedroom closet
-Fence
-Make backyard look nice
-Widen driveway entrance
-Build new, larger garage
-Gut bathroom & re-do
-Find new things to do.

Eek.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:02 AM
Site Moderator

I used a bag of quick seeding stuff last spring in our backyard (it may have been pennington, but I'm not 100% sure) and it worked really well in a couple of bald spots we had.

If you've got weeds/bald patches it gets expensive though. Pull as many as the weeds as you can by hand, then rent a tiller and go over the whole yard with it, same with any flower beds you want to plant. Laying sod is pricey, and even more expensive if you have someone come out and do it, but you get instant gratification.

Welcome to the joys (annoyances) of home ownership
Old 04-27-2017, 05:19 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Sod is crazy expensive, and if it can be avoided I would.

The thing with grass seed is that you need to water it regularly. So be prepared to water it at least once, possibly twice a day (depending on how hot it is there.) Early morning, and late evening are best. But for filling in bald spots, it's THE best option.

My yard is pretty aweful. It's about 60% weeds and about 10% bald. But since I'm just renting it, it's not my problem. The HOA dropped off a letter saying the weeds need to be addressed. I forwarded it to the property management company.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:54 AM
Site Moderator

The quick seed stuff I used last spring worked really well, I watered it twice a day, morning and evening. Took about 3 weeks to fill in the spot, it was a fairly big spot too, about 10'x20'.

Quick Reply: I don't want to work XXV - Traveling sausages edition