The Windy City - Off Topic A place to relax and unwind. Off topic section of the UMW.

International Travel v2

Old 11-27-2007, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default International Travel v2

I'm trying to decide on a trip to either Japan or Italy at the end of January. Unlike my usual solo, vagabond backpack trips this one is going to be with Huskerhubby (and hopefully with another couple) and utilizing our many hotel points.

Specifically, in Japan we would stay in Tokyo (the Park Hyatt and Ritz Carlton to give you location ideas) and take day trips.

In Italy we are staying in Rome and Milan.

I know a lot about Italy- places to see, things to do, etc. However, I am not so familiar with Tokyo and would like some input to help me decide. Any info, suggestions would be really great!

Many thanks!
Old 11-27-2007, 03:18 PM

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

I can't help you make a decision, but if you go to Japan, please bring me back something from the Mugen factory.

However, if you go to Italy, please bring me back a Ferrari and an Italian model.

Bonne voyage regardless of where you go.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:04 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I have never been to either place, so I am no help either.

Personally, I'd rather go to Milan, but I used to own an Alfa, so I am a little biased.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:30 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by ruexp67,Nov 28 2007, 07:04 AM
Personally, I'd rather go to Milan, but an Alfa used to OWN me, so I am a little biased.
Fixed.

I would say Italy over Japan, IMO, very traveler friendly and no mystery food.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by sw05s2k,Nov 28 2007, 09:30 AM
Fixed.
Harsh, but fair.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:49 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,903 Posts

^ Sorry it looked pretty clean. What model was that?
Old 11-28-2007, 08:44 AM

Looks can be decieving. It's a 1982 GTV-6.

Of course, I am sure people could post a LOT more pics of Japanese cars they have owned in this thread.

So where are you headed, Huskergirl? Decide yet?
Old 11-28-2007, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was that oil stain from that Alfa? smile.gif

I've been to Rome and did a cycling trip through the Tuscany region but only visited Tokyo as quick stop on my way to other countries.

Tokyo or Rome theres a ton to see and do. In many ways they are the same; one large crowded European city and one large crowded Asian city. They are both well tourist trodden so you should have no problems getting around. In my personal opinion, slight edge goes to Rome for being 'tourist friendly' as more people speak English there; though the Japanese are very polite, accommodating, and their public transportation runs a lot more efficiently.

Rome has a lot of historic sights mixed in with it's modern ones like a big antipasto salad. Contemporary glass buildings next to ancient Roman marble ones, winding narrow streets that suddenly open up to grand plazas with marble fountains and manicured gardens. It feels old, worn, and dirty yet holds an aire of rich romantic grandeur.

Tokyo feels much more organized, the city is sectioned off into various areas (shopping, culture, entertainment, history) like a big bento box. One part is dominated by glass, neon, and steel; yet another ornate bamboo, stone, and incense. There's the crush of humanity, but somehow it all remains spotlessly clean and new.

Foodwise: I am bias, Tokyo was good all around. Rome was hit or miss. Italian food there is much more bland than the Italian American we are used to here. Food in central Italy and Tuscany was fantastic!
Old 11-28-2007, 09:29 AM

have you been to asia before? i've never been to tokyo but i should be going at the beginning of january for a few days. hong kong this weekend! are tokyo and rome/milan your only choices?
Old 11-28-2007, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the info so far. Not been to Asia before, and its odd that I've not been to Italy since I've been to every country surrounding it. Hmmm, I think it has to do w/Huskerhubby's Italian "girlfriend" he met while touring Europe in college.

Since this is a points trip my other options are:

Dubai
Oman
Sharm El Sheikh (Egypt)
Santiago
Sao Paulo
Moscow

The above (along with Milan and Tokyo) have the nicest properties. Normally, I don't care where I stay (I've been known to sleep in a car if needed) but since this is a points trip then I want the nicest property and the best value. If we are paying for it, none of these properties are within our budget.

Also, right now most of these places are only requiring 40k to 50k points for a rountrip ticket. That's why we usually travel the off-season.

Quick Reply: International Travel v2