The Windy City - Off Topic A place to relax and unwind. Off topic section of the UMW.

UMW Formula 1 Discussion Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 06:14 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Finally got to watch the race. I am no Kimi fan, but I feel bad for him. That was BS. I am no Seb fan, but that was a hell of a drive! The wreck after the race was pretty funny to me though. I blame Stroll but I can't be mad.

I also vote to keep Buxton, and keep him trackside.
I'd scrap the booth and start from scratch. If I had to keep 1 of them it would be Diffey, if I had to keep 2, I'd keep Matchett too.

With my luck, they will only retain Hobbs. :/
Old 10-05-2017, 06:21 AM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ruexp67
Finally got to watch the race. I am no Kimi fan, but I feel bad for him. That was BS. I am no Seb fan, but that was a hell of a drive! The wreck after the race was pretty funny to me though. I blame Stroll but I can't be mad.
Here's a video of the incident from Stroll's onboard -- it tells a very different story. He didn't turn at all, Seb ran into him.
I also vote to keep Buxton, and keep him trackside.
I'd scrap the booth and start from scratch. If I had to keep 1 of them it would be Diffey, if I had to keep 2, I'd keep Matchett too.

With my luck, they will only retain Hobbs. :/
Diffey has already confirmed that he's going to be retained by NBC to cover the entire INDYCAR season. Which is great -- might have to watch more of that next year. I like his style and he's clearly passionate about the sport.
Please no Bob Varsha. Or Eddie Cheever. Hoping for a new crop of people who are a little more in-tune with the times. And Buxton, of course. His passion is infectious -- would be great if they'd staff the booth with people who can match him.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:50 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

I vote they hire me.

"Hey guys, look Lewis is doing a thing.

In other news, peep what my du Kvyat is doing in his new Toro Rosso Honda."

Unrelated:

I've decided to stop disliking Verstappen.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:58 AM
JHo

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I read something that they are planning to just stream the world feed. The race broadcast is scheduled to start 5 minutes before the race, so I'm guessing we are going to lose a lot of the booth and prerace analysis. I'm not a huge fan of that. But losing Will would be a disgrace. He's really grown. His play by play of GP2 a couple years ago was brilliant. Hopefully he sticks around.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
I've decided to stop disliking Verstappen.
boooooooooooooooo
Old 10-05-2017, 11:24 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by chazzguitar
Here's a video of the incident from Stroll's onboard -- it tells a very different story. He didn't turn at all, Seb ran into him.
LOL. Seb should have to sit next race out. That'd be AWESOME.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:12 AM

LOL. Seb should have to sit next race out. That'd be AWESOME.
Well, he kinda did. And I couldn't be happier!

Enjoyed the race but qualifying had me really engaged throughout -- what a lap Hammy put together!
Old 10-09-2017, 06:53 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Quali was nuts.

Decent race, quite a bit of action throughout. The Mercs didn't run away with it like they have in previous races, so it's much closer overall. I'm really glad Rosberg didn't do the podium interviews, I really don't like him, or miss him one bit. F1 is so much better without him around.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:31 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
Quali was nuts.

Decent race, quite a bit of action throughout. The Mercs didn't run away with it like they have in previous races, so it's much closer overall. I'm really glad Rosberg didn't do the podium interviews, I really don't like him, or miss him one bit. F1 is so much better without him around.
I thought the opposite, I thoroughly enjoyed him as a commentator this weekend. Watched pre and post race/qualifying just to get as much of the experience as possible.

And I was never a fan of his as a driver.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:39 AM

Speaking of poor commentary, ol' Marble Mouth Hobbs was in rare form this weekend. Calling drivers by the wrong names, saying they were in positions that they were not... it's like he was on a few minutes delay at all times. Also, how about NBC being in commercial breaks for 2 of the 3 safety car restarts? God, I can't wait for the stream that we all hope FOM is going to offer in the coming years. I've had enough of these dolts. Hopefully ESPN will be a little better next year.

Quick Reply: UMW Formula 1 Discussion Thread