Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Best Track Weekend at CMP

Old 01-18-2013, 07:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Best Track Weekend at CMP

My Mustang Club, Carolina Regional Mustang Club (CRMC), is hosting their 13th annual Performance Driving School the first weekend in June.

Mark you calendars, as this is a fantastic event for all track junkies.

Please go to CRMC Performance Driving School for more information and to register.

You won't see me registered in the list, as I'm a special case with 2 cars since I'm taking the Mustang on Saturday and the S on Sunday.

I have confirmed with the Event staff that S2000's are allowed in any Run Group without additional rollover protection other than what comes from the factory.

Hope to see you there, and post up here when you register so we know who is going!

Current list of Registered:

S2k Awe - Mark
S2k Awe's Son - Jason
RadRed - Del *** Sad to say, but had to cancel ***
RedCeleca - Brett
onecleanS2000 - Drew
Ummpwr- Eric

Summary of Questions & Answers:

Run groups are assigned by the Driving School Team, and based on the information provided during registration.

Group D is for Novices that have never attended a HPDE type of track event, or Novices with only a couple of Autocross's. and includes "exercises" to teach you about threshold braking and the handling characteristics of your vehicle. This group has very limited passing, as a top speed limited by your instructor.

Group C is for the individual with a few events under their belt, but are still learning the finer points.

Group B is for intermediate to advanced individuals with many events, or those that have been signed off to drive solo.

Not much difference between B and C except there are more solo drivers in B, and less slower vehicles in B.

Group A is for Advanced drivers and the instructors, and those who brought race cars. Passing is not highly controlled, but supposedly all drivers are predictable. I would not recommend this group unless you know you fit.

Are aftermarket rollbars required for any run group?
No (not for the S2000, but yes for other convertibles)

Can I run with the top down?
Yes

Can I perform the pre-event tech inspection myself?
Yes, if you are competent, just enter "self inspected" for the name of the shop.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:10 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So what if I'm a beginner on track but want more than a safety driving lesson... would my instructor be able to treat me more like a beginner HPDE? Or will I be stuck with a speed limit of 65 MPH or something silly? I have plenty of autox experience, even at CMP. Could I be classed with intermediate but still have an instructor?
Old 01-18-2013, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by CoolGuy094
So what if I'm a beginner on track but want more than a safety driving lesson... would my instructor be able to treat me more like a beginner HPDE? Or will I be stuck with a speed limit of 65 MPH or something silly? I have plenty of autox experience, even at CMP. Could I be classed with intermediate but still have an instructor?
Instructors are provided in all run groups other than group A, which is where the instructors get to drive.
Your instructor has the authority to allow you to drive solo at any time they feel you are ready.
Based on the experience you provide when registering, they will place you in what they feel is the most appropriate run group. Again, once out on the track, your instructor can "promote" you to the next level run group if deemed appropriate.

Group D is really for super novices, young drivers, and people that are not familiar with what their car is capable of, and of course, anyone with zero track experience. Yes, Group D will be very slow, especially the first few sessions of the first day.

Most S2000 drivers will probably fall into Group B or C if they have any track experience, and there is no speed limit, just designated passing.

I am actually considering participating in Group D with my Mustang, as I've never had it on the track, and although I have owned it for over 30 years, after upgrading the suspension and steering, and everything I've done to it, I'm not comfortable pushing it, as it drives totally different now, and I think it would be good for me to participate in the slalom and threshold braking exercises, which are only offered in Group D. However, I may be able to run it in Group C and still participate in these, just because of my experience.

That's Saturday. Sunday I'll be out there with the S2000, and I'm trying to decide if I want to be in Group A or B. I'm thinking I'll stick with B just so I'm not in the way of the real racers in their race cars.

My son probably thinks he should be in A or B, but it's very likely they will put him in C.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interested, but I noticed this comment under the "Driving School General Information" section:

"Convertibles without supplemental roll over protection and harnesses will be permitted in Group D only."

Do you have a full cage on your S? Do you think they will make an exceptions?

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2013, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by TJeep_1999
Very interested, but I noticed this comment under the "Driving School General Information" section:

"Convertibles without supplemental roll over protection and harnesses will be permitted in Group D only."

Do you have a full cage on your S? Do you think they will make an exceptions?

Thanks!
As Stated in my opening post:

"I have confirmed with the Event staff that S2000's are allowed in any Run Group without additional rollover protection other than what comes from the factory."

So the exception has already been made.

One must remember that these Mustang guys don't have factory rollover protection in their Mustangs.

So come on out and have a blast!
Old 01-19-2013, 03:09 PM

Sweeet. Thanks for the comprehensive response. I will certainly be considering it, especially due to price. Hopefully I can impress my instructor enough for him to feel comfortable with me so he can really teach me some good stuff.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds fun I was just at CMP yesterday and definitly plan to go back. Hopefully I can make this event !

Old 01-23-2013, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely interested! I did Hooked on Driving at CMP last year and it was a blast.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:05 AM

Not sure if you know or asked, but do they require you to drive top-up? We always go top-down when we autox there, but we had one that was run by CMP management and they tried to make us all run top-up saying it was a course regulation. I don't enjoy top-up because my helmet strikes the soft top frame constantly.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:09 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I went to this event last year and had a blast. All the guys were cool and the instructors were a stellar bunch. Best money spent on any track event to date

Quick Reply: Best Track Weekend at CMP