S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Gern-Pipe review

Old 03-03-2013, 03:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gern-Pipe review

During the last 7 years, I tested many performance parts on my car. As all European S2000, it is an AP1 with a lack of torque when you want to drive quietly or when you don’t have all necessary driving skills on track. Then, I always try to get more torque at the wheels.
The best mods I ever made for my goal are the 4.56 differential gear ratio installed in 2007 and the F23 that Endyn built for me two years ago.
And now, let me talk about the third one…

As said earlier, my car is a 2001 AP1 with many mods on the chassis and the engine. The main engine mods are :

- Endyn F23 all motor with HyTech cams
- Endyn intake manifold
- Custom intake
- 74mm Throttle Body
- AEM EMS
- 630cc Siemens fuel injectors
- 70mm Berk Technologies HFC
- Invidia Q300 catback

Previously, I also used a custom HyTech header and test pipe and I was really happy with the power and torque obtained with all those mods together.
But during a track day at the end of 2011, I had to limited the engine to 7000 rpm to be allowed to stay on the track as the noise of my car was too loud at full throttle. In Europe, we have more and more restriction on the noise level even on the track.
Then, I decided to go back to the stock header with a HFC to stay below the 100dB at full throttle. And it is not necessary to say I lost lot of torque in the mid-range.

Fortunately, a clever guy on that forum was working on that issue and he finally released an incredible mid pipe for the S2000. His user name is Gernby and I believe many of you read his very interesting threads. You will find more details about his work here :

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/964...ooks-fast-too/
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/991...ipe-group-buy/

I contacted him in September 2012 to buy one of his magical pipe but he was not ready to sell the Gern-Pipe to overseas. Finally, he decided to do it at the end of the year and I received last week my Gern-Pipe with an adapter to connect it to my Q300.
I didn’t imagine to write a review about it and I forgot to take pictures before installing it but here are some pictures after the fitting. The pipe and the adapter are perfectly designed and built and it was very easy to install them.

And now, you will understand why I want to share my experience with you even with my bad English.

Just before installing the Gern-Pipe, I made some runs with the previous exhaust combo (stock header, Berk 70mm HFC and Invidia Q300) as I have being used to analyse each mod I made on my car with a soft dyno since 2006. At this time, the engine tuning was not perfect but I spent lot of time without finding a real improvement of the torque curve in the mid-range, even with the vtec lowered at 3800 rpm.
Then I installed the Gern-Pipe and as soon as I drove the car, I felt more engine torque on low cams. After two tunes, below is the result. All the runs were done on exactly the same road portion, the same day with the same weather condition.

Torque curves

The red curve shows the torque with the Berk HFC. The dark blue curve shows the torque after a quick tune. The light blue curve shows the torque after a better tune and with the vtec lowered at 3500 rpm.

Power curves

The blue curve shows the power with the Berk HFC. The dark red curve shows the power after the quick tune. The light red curve shows the power after the better tune and with the vtec lowered at 3500 rpm.
The gain is 6 whp for the peak power and 14 ft lb at 5200 rpm.

That mod is incredible and the torque increase is very impressive when I drive my car. To give a real world figure, I gain 0.25 second to go from 3000 to 8500 rpm in third gear. Just with an exhaust mod. To compare, the gain is 0.5 second with the 4.56 diff and 1.2 second with the F23.
And I forgot to mention the exhaust drone is also greatly reduced with the Gern-Pipe and it is now really acceptable when it bothered me before.
I am a happy man now with a sporty, quiet and efficient exhaust system and I want to thank Gernby for all the time he spent to find the right design and for all his great work.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:25 AM

Old 03-03-2013, 06:22 AM

impressive torque curve, thanks for sharing
Old 03-03-2013, 07:00 AM

Old 03-03-2013, 08:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Graphs look great, thanks for posting. I ordered one as week with the dingle. Quick question though.. It looks like the exhaust sits lower than I thought it would. Do you think there will be any issues with scraping it? I'm lowered about less than one finger gap around.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:37 AM

Old 03-03-2013, 09:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the great review! Your application is the first one of its kind. The pipe does look like it hangs really low, but I guess it could just be an illusion.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by s1mba
It looks like the exhaust sits lower than I thought it would. Do you think there will be any issues with scraping it?.
I think it is just an illusion, that point didn't worry me when I installed the pipe. I had no issue so far, my car is lowered by 1.5 inch.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Gernby
Thanks for the great review!
It's my pleasure!
Old 03-04-2013, 06:56 AM

that whale penis looking exhaust looks time intensive to produce.... did the inventor take the idea from a motorcycle or quad exhaust? thats what it reminds me of

Quick Reply: Gern-Pipe review