S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

ATS mission final gear *DIY included!*

Old 02-11-2014, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATS mission final gear *DIY included!*

I received and installed ATS's mission final gear (secondary drive gear) in my 04 AP2 a few days ago.
Beautiful product, I can tell quality is top notch.

http://www.ppi-ats.com/Gears/Mission%20Final.html

I chose that route mainly because I use my S2k on the street quite a bit and the combination of highway revs with a 4.44 ratio and a loud exhaust worried me so 4.30 seemed like a good compromise.
Secondly I didn't want to screw around in the rear diff. The install of this gear is so much easier and doesn't require much experience like a diff does.
I also liked the fact that this will not make the driveshaft and diff spin any faster than they did stock compared to a diff final drive since the reduction is in the tranny.
It was also cheaper.

SCROLL DOWN FOR DIY. I SUGGEST THIS DIY SHOULD GO IN THE LIBRARY.

I will keep you guys updated on the results on the street in April and on track early May. I know, Canadian winters suck...
Old 02-12-2014, 04:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimSUPERFLY
I received and installed ATS's mission final gear (secondary drive gear) in my 04 AP2 a few days ago.
Beautiful product, I can tell quality is top notch.

http://www.ppi-ats.com/Gears/Mission%20Final.html

Installation went well, not difficult. About 3 hours.
I could do a DIY, any interest?

I chose that route mainly because I use my S2k on the street quite a bit and the combination of highway revs with a 4.44 ratio and a loud exhaust worried me so 4.30 seemed like a good compromise.
Secondly I didn't want to screw around in the rear diff. The install of this gear is so much easier and doesn't require much experience like a diff does.
I also liked the fact that this will not make the driveshaft and diff spin any faster than they did stock compared to a diff final drive since the reduction is in the tranny.
It was also cheaper.

I will keep you guys updated on the results on the street in April and on track early May. I know, Canadian winters suck...
Nice, I'm glad such parts are available. Since you are AP2, was it only a single gear replacement, and not the shaft? How do they change the ratio without changing both gears?

I had been wondering if such gears were available. But, to change the ratio the other way. I'd like to at least a 10% reduction in engine RPM (turbo)
Old 02-12-2014, 05:03 AM

Yes it's a single gear replacement for AP2. Since there is only 1 tooth difference it works fine with the output shaft oem gear. Maybe just a difference in backslash, I'm no gear expert.

Do you have AP1 or AP2?
Old 02-12-2014, 05:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is tempting, although I have an AP1 so would need to buy a secondary AP2 shaft.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimSUPERFLY
Yes it's a single gear replacement for AP2. Since there is only 1 tooth difference it works fine with the output shaft oem gear. Maybe just a difference in backslash, I'm no gear expert.

Do you have AP1 or AP2?
I have an AP2. I wrote the ATS guys to see if it's possible to go the other way. Otherwise I'll have to change rear gears.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:43 AM

You could swap with AP1 shaft and AP1 gears and gain a few % maybe?
Old 02-13-2014, 07:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I would like to go the other way too, and have considered swapping in an AP1 secondary gear set. However, it would be nice if someone would offer a gear that doesn't require swapping in the AP1 shaft. I assume the effort to swap both would be significantly higher.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:43 AM

+1 on a higher (numerically lower) gear for the AP2
Old 02-15-2014, 05:10 AM

DIY coming.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:05 AM

ATS AP2 S2000 mission final gear installation DIY

If you need a DIY to change your oil this is NOT for you. I am not responsible for any problems.
Not difficult if you do most of the work on your car yourself and have the proper tools.
A shop manual for consulting and torque specs is suggested.
Special tools needed : pullers (I used 2 sizes), gear puller, 38 mm socket and a new 29mm countershaft nut from Honda:

-First put your car up on stands, high enough to be comfortable working underneath it. Or a lift if you are lucky...
-Remove transmission filler plug and oil drain plug, let it empty itself while you start in the car.
-Remove shifter knob and center console.
-Put in neutral.
-Remove rubber boot with a flat screwdriver where there are point marks on the plastic ring (stick in and pull in while pulling up on plastic ring with hook):

-Remove shifter by removing 3 bolts under another rubber boot:

-Support transmission with jack and wood bloc:

-Detach driveshaft, driveshaft support, and let it hang or completely remove drive shaft.
-Remove transmission mount bolts.
-Remove 4 bolts holding shifter dust boot to the tunnel underneath.
-Lower transmission about an inch or two for easier access of the 4 bolts holding the shifter base inside:

-Remove bolts and shifter base from underneath. There are dowel pins so you might have to lower transmission a bit more.
-Push shifter linkage forward (3rd gear) and remove bolt and bracket:

-Pull shifter linkage back to neutral with a screwdriver, the driveshaft flange should rotate freely underneath.

-Loosen transmission end cover bolts in a cross pattern.
-Completely remove them, push O2 sensor wire brackets back out of the way.
-Use a pry bar or large flat screwdriver and detach transmission cover slightly, breaking the gasket seal.
-Pull gently to remove cover, be careful for lower pump gear not to fall. Remove oil pump gear. You should end up with this (oil pump gear removed):

-"Un-stake" the 29mm nut (I used a chisel and a hammer):

-Put in 1st gear and lock front crank pulley bolt with a ratchet:

-Remove 29mm countershaft nut (CLOCKWISE!!!) with a long ratchet.
-Remove spring washer.
-Install bearing puller:

-Pull bearing off:

-Pull gear off:

-Align ATS gear and tap in (I used a large socket and hammer). You will feel it when it's all the way in, confirm with pump gear alignment on small sprocket:

-Align bearing and tap in:

-Reinstall spring washer conic side up.
-Lock front crank pulley bolt the opposite way.
-Install new 29mm nut COUNTER-CLOCKWISE, torque to 127 ft/pnds, stake the nut.
-Clean surfaces from oem gasket sealer with a razor blade and solvent (brake cleaner), do not scratch.
-Put transmission in neutral.
-Reinstall pump shaft and gear.
-Put gasket sealer and realign cover with dowel pins, push in.
-Reinstall bolts, the 2 long ones go where the dowel pins are.
-Tighten gently in a cross pattern and torque to 20 ft/pnds in a cross pattern.

-Reassemble rest in reverse order of disassembly. Grease shifter pivot and base, torque shifter rod bracket bolt to 30 ft/pnds.

-Have a beer.

Quick Reply: ATS mission final gear *DIY included!*