S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What Steps Do You Take to "Un-Winterize" Your S

Old 03-10-2014, 05:45 AM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts
Default What Steps Do You Take to "Un-Winterize" Your S

Although at times I don't think it'll ever stop snowing (and another storm is looming), "technically" Spring is around the corner. With that in mind, many of us that live in less than ideal S2000 climate, go through the process of winterizing our car at the end of the year. I have seen numberous threads in regards to how to properly store the car, but do people have any steps (besides going the opposite direction on your winterizing checklist) that you take?

Things that I do (besides going backwards on my winterizing checklist).

Check tire air pressure (I park my car on donuts and the tires/wheels go in the basement)
Search under the hood, under the car, in the car, exhaust, etc to make sure no critters decided to make my car a winter home.
Replace all fluids.
Replace windshield wipers (I haven't actually done this but I will this year).
Check/replace cabin filter if you haven't in a few years. (if you have never done this, do it..... it's gross).
Check all lights (interior and exterior).
Wash and wax the car.
Clean the car cover.
Replace whatever music was in the car from the end of last summer (my playlist is soooo 2013 )
Go for a quick drive around the development to make sure everything feels right.
One last visual check to make sure no fluids are leaking no funky smells, car sounds "right"

Then off to
Old 03-10-2014, 06:38 AM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Pretty much what you listed with a couple of exceptions:

1) I change fluids before it goes into storage so that old, nasty fluid doesn't sit in the car for 6 months, especially important
when the car sits for that long, that first start doesn't have any oil in the engine and you want the cleanest, most effective
oil to get to those parts ASAP upon ignition.

2) Wash and wax, again, prior to storage. Then the car is clean when I put the cover on and all ready to go when spring comes!

3) A few other minor things...put my stereo faceplate on and "angry drive fast music" cd back in the cd player, remove paper towels from
under the wipers, remove dryer sheets from under the seats and in the trunk (supposedly keeps critters out), put windows back up
and relatch the top (if not going for a top-down drive, of course!).

I leave my wheels and tires on, I have been told that the alleged flat spots that can develop on tires work themselves out after 100
or so miles of driving besides I don't have 4 donuts nor do I want to buy them, 4 more things to store.

EDIT: If you downgraded your insurance coverage prior to storage, don't forget to add full coverage back on before taking her out!
Old 03-10-2014, 06:49 AM

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,444 Posts

Everything on you list looks great. One thing I'm going to do is turn over the engine a few revolutions prior to firing it up to get the oil circulating before it gets any load on it. I'll pull the fuel pump and ignition fuses, sometimes I pull the coils and plugs too, depends how energetic I feel, lol. Make sure the battery is fully charged.

Make your first drive a nice long one with some highway driving to get oil temps up and burn off any condensation, might as well burn off some of that old fuel too.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:49 AM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts

I should probably have clarified. As part of my storage prep, I do an oil change. I don't change the diff, tranny, brake fluid prior to storage. Should I? Oh, and my friends give me grief for this but I do another oil change in the spring so yes, there is a 5.xx quart jug of oil that has probably 100 miles on it.

Oh, and good point about putting insurance back on the car. That's also part of the winterizing checklist .. Go to "comp only/storage" coverage.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:43 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I just call Geico and take it out of garage mode, check air pressure and drive it.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turn key, push button, go.

Okay, I check tire pressure too.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice thread.

I added it to the thread in my signature for new owners.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always check to make sure that a mouse hasnt decided to make a nest during the winter in the intake or air cleaner.
I had this happen in my in my Trans Am.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:34 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

With you Mocky, winter in our area just doesn't want to give in just yet. I have not seen the front yard this year, and it dosn't look like I will soon with this next storm they are talking another 6-10 for Erie.

I change my oil right before I put her away for the winter so she has clean oil sitting in her.

As far as un winterizing I reverse what I did to put her away, push her out of the garage where she is, put the battery in, and start her up, wait for her idle to come down and take it easy for until things are warm and then I hit 6k and remember what it is like to own one of these!

I am going to steal NH's "angry drive fast music" idea!!

I smelled skunks driving from Pittsburgh Sunday morning and had one dead on the side of the road in Erie County. That is a sign!

Soon jr soon!

Mine at least had some company this year!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94787565@N08/10726539163/
Old 03-10-2014, 06:28 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Open garage door.

Check tire pressure.

Take cover off.

Put passport, luggage, tools, extra oil, warm jacket, GPS, iPod, cleaning supplies in the trunk.

Start car and back out of the garage.

Drive to RTD 2014!

see you there.

darcy

Quick Reply: What Steps Do You Take to "Un-Winterize" Your S