S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Ptuning gtx35r build-possibly borg warner efr 8374

Old 05-06-2014, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ptuning gtx35r build-possibly borg warner efr 8374

Meant to make this sooner, but didn't want to open up a thread towards the beginning to have it linger for months and months with no progress. I feel as though I'm needing to make it now to at least document all that I've been going through because it's becoming difficult to remember everything that's happened in the last half year. At the end of last year, I decided to switch kits from a full blown twinscroll T4 gt35r to a Ptuning single scroll gtx35r and made the purchase due to a few reasons:

-packaging-seeing my friend's ptuning kit, i've always been impressed with clean the engine bay looks, the location of the turbo and how concealed everything is compared to my previous kit which places the turbo forward of the shock towers and higher in the engine bay. Because of the full blown's beefy manifold, it weighs quite a bit and serves as a massive heat sink. intending to go back to the road course, this was also one of the main reasons for going to the ptuning kit. I purchased the gtx35r with .82 exhaust housing along with the oil cooler and airbox.

Experiences with Ptuning: Initial communication was decent. Quotes from one of the staff from Ptuning took a few days to a week at times, but after ordering, that's when I encountered more frustrations due to lack of responses, lack of follow-up, and inaccurate information pertaining to etas, which i'm sure which were out of their control. Regardless, to order (and be charged) in early December and not receive the kit in full 3 months later was quite the delay in initial eta (even after that, I still received the incorrect durometer of engine mount from initially ordered). On top of that, I've received minor bits of the kit that were incorrect (wrong fitting that goes into oil pan,wrong hose coupler from compressor discharger).
Toan, on the other hand, has been exceptional with answering all my questions with in-depth knowledge and thoroughness. He has spent at least a few hours helping me out with installation tips, making sure i had the correct parts, etc.

Installation: was enjoyable. The packing list of parts was very thorough and well-labeled. The fit and finish of everything was exact, a very well-though out kit with regards to accessibility of bolts and clearance of adjacent parts.

On to the pictures:
Picture comparing the tial 44mm wastegate to the turbosmart wastegate

Manifold and turbo, exhaust housing and manifold inconel wrapped by atp:

engine bay shot:

radiator fan

oil scavenge pump

wastegate heatshield

black coating from swaintech on intercooler:

white lightning from swaintech on downpipe and dumptube

Ptuning oil distribution block with factory oil pressure, oil temp, and oil pressure relaying information serial gauge
Old 05-06-2014, 11:00 PM

Had evasive motorsports install the gusset plates as they redid my midpipe

Then this happened while trying to burn off my old 6-month old gas. Shut off the car and can hear a faint metal scraping noise.Logged ~100 miles or less on the turbo?:

Called ptuning to see what the next step is, got my number and told that I'd get a call back. Figured since I just discovered the damage to the turbo and haven't gotten the turbo completely out, they'll call me shortly while I get the turbo out. I get the turbo out a few weeks later, call in again, they say they will try to give me an RMA and ask their distributor to see if I can drop off the turbo directly to garrett since they're ~30 miles from me. 2-3 more weeks go by, I call in seeing what's the delay, they get more information from me and say that they'll get me an RMA soon. Another week goes by and no follow-up, again. Probably will buy a different turbo in the meantime so avoid having my car down for another half year.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:17 PM

Damn Peter! This has been one heck of an experience for you! I hope everything gets smooth after the turbo gets fixed!
Old 05-06-2014, 11:58 PM

Wow, they still havent handled it? Thats crazy. I thought they would have shipped you a replacement at least a month ago.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That really sucks man. Ptuning did good with helping my friend. Hope they pick up the ball and take car of you.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a garrett turbo crap out on me for some reason. I called an authorized distributor directly told them my situation and they sent me a RMA and told me to mail my center section to them when ever I had a chance (took all of 10 mins) and once they received it they sent me out a brand new chra (I had a brand new center section within a week and a half). I did mine through Garretts CHRA replacement program http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/bbservice it's only $425 for a gt35r replacement (slightly more for gtx series im guessing). Obviously ptuning should take care of yours but that should show you that it really doesnt take much. and if it was a brand new turbo then one 10 min phone call and they should send out a new chra for free. One reason I like sticking with garrett turbos is because they offer this program and seem to really stand behind there product. You dont even have to buy the turbo new it just has to be a garrett turbo with no signs of improper installation. Some of the distributors inspect the turbo and others dont and you receive a brand new chra of the shelf too.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:53 AM

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

I know ptuning will come through. It sucks to deal with this kind of stuff.

I cannot wait to see your results! Plan to max the capabilities of the kit?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4
Old 05-07-2014, 09:43 AM

thanks for the support everyone!as far as maxing out the turbo, i want to see what it'll do on 91 since the last time it was tuned on the gt35r, the knock sensor was broken so the tuner went relatively conservative on it. probably increase the boost a little to around 18-20psi as well. eventually, might run the flex fuel setup after i reinforce the drivetrain.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:45 AM

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

Sounds great!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4
Old 05-11-2014, 05:20 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow!, it hurts me to look at that pic of the turbo with the messed up blades. It's seems like lately PTuning has been really busy.....I called in for some advice on going flex fuel and a quote on a few parts about a week ago and I haven't gotten a response yet. Now to think of it there were a few parts that were on back order that I had to wait for, and I had to drop the turbo twice after the initial install due to leaky water lines so I can feel your pain. BTW......did you upgrade you turbo coolant lines to steel braided lines? Keep communicating with them, I am sure they will come through. I do agree about Toan's knowledge and ease of communication. I never feel rushed when talking to him and he answers every single one of my questions. Also he is and excellent tuner!!!

Quick Reply: Ptuning gtx35r build-possibly borg warner efr 8374