S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Chance S2K's "S2KI Rejects" Turbo Build

Old 10-20-2014, 01:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chance S2K's "S2KI Rejects" Turbo Build

Hey everyone My shopping list for my turbo S2000 build is getting very short and I'm hoping to start actually assembling the build sometime in the next couple weeks. End results I'm hoping for is a 460-480WHP, reliable daily driven S2000 that is also useful for the occasional track day or highway/quarter mile pull. It's a tall order, but I have high hopes

I spent a lot of time scoping out the FI sales threads looking for good deals, and most of the parts I'll now be using in this build were bought used by members on this site. So I've accumulated all the "rejects" :

Turbo:
Borg Warner s256 “Bullseye” T3 .70A/R (Purchased from lude92_si)
Custom Fabricated 2.5” Intercooler Piping (Purchased from kaptaink2002)
CXRacing 700HP 31x11x3 Intercooler
TrackForged RamHorn Manifold, 3” downpipe, 1” External dumptube (Purchased from uLmighty)
Berk Headerback 3” Exhaust
Vibrant 3” x 6” Flex Pipe
Greddy RS BOV (Purchased from Suzuka_Joe)
Tial MV-R Wastegate 44mm (Purchased from Stantaur)
Oil Feed Kit
Canton Oil Filter Relocate (Purchased from Jim Bravo)

Fuel System:
FID 1000cc injectors
Full Blown 290LPH Fuel Pump

Drivetrain
Competition Clutch Stage 4

Electronics:
AEM EMS V2
SoS 3Bar MAP Sensor (Purchased from alaskas2000)
SoS Pillar Gauge Set AFR/AEM Serial (Purchased from alaskas2000)

Other:
T1 Dual Oil Catch Can (Purchased from Minitoyota)
3 Port Powdercoated Valve Cover (Purchased from Minitoyota)
PTP T3 Turbo Blanket
PTP Adhesive Heat Shielding (Fuse Box/AC Lines)
DEI Heat Wrap Manifold/Downpipe
Treadstone Turbo Gasket/Bolt Kit
Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 245/45R/16 (rear)
NGK BKR8EIX Spark Plugs

At the time of posting this, the only two items that still need to be purchased are the AEM EMS and an oil feed kit for the turbo. Currently the fuel injectors, heat shielding materials, gasket/bolt kit, and spark plugs are on their way in shipping. I'm also replacing all gaskets that will be removed, as well as using a Cometic 3 layer gasket on my turbo manifold in order to try to stop what appeared to be a previous exhaust leak on it

With this build I've tried to save as much money as possible (lol) by buying used parts and trying to reduce costs in areas without "cutting corners". I want to try to keep this build relatively cheap, but not at the cost of reliability.

All crucial fluids will be replaced with quality synthetics. The transmission fluid has already been replaced with Amsoil 5w30 Synchromesh, and the diff has been refilled with Amsoil 75w140 per Puddy's recommendation

Currently the CC clutch and Berk exhaust are the only things installed on the car. I've just finished breaking in the clutch, and have finally gotten (mostly) used to daily driving a 6 puck ceramic clutch. The Berk headerback sounds awesome at lower RPMs and has a good aggressive growl to it's note, and at higher RPMs it absolutely screams. The only downsides to the exhaust is a pretty significant drone between 3K-4K, and some bad rasping when de-throttling from high RPM. I've heard a resonator can remedy this, but it's not currently bothering me enough to do anything about

I have a good friend helping me out on this build, and without his help none of this would be possible!

Here are some pictures of the parts and progress so far on the car:

Fun fact: According to an employee at TrackForged, only 3 of these ramhorn style manifolds were ever sold.

If you zoom in, you can see how bad some of the fins are smashed/aligned already. I'm pretty sure this will still suffice though.

Pictures from the Clutch Install:

Pictures of the car as it currently sits (somewhat clean for once!)

I'll keep this thread updated as the last few parts come in the mail, and of course when I finally get to start putting everything together . I'll be sure to include a "dyno" and "first ride" video as well.

If anyone has any input, questions, or suggestions for this thread feel free to post!
Old 10-20-2014, 01:39 PM

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Looks like a good start. In for pics when the build starts
Old 10-20-2014, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exciting!! Your goal is exactly like my goal. Fun reliable 480whp street car with occasional Track days.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:00 PM

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

How bad did that clutch install suck using jack stands? I'm debating on doing mine myself or not for that reason.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by dustin02rsx
How bad did that clutch install suck using jack stands? I'm debating on doing mine myself or not for that reason.
I actually think some people on this forum prefer to use jack stands rather than a lift for certain parts of the clutch install, probably just because it's easier to lower the trans on the ground.

It's definitely a PITA. Between me and my friend doing this for the first time, we collectively spent probably about ~20 hours working on the car. A huge portion of that time was spent trying to remove the top two 17mm transmission housing bolts close to the firewall (we ended up lowering the entire subframe in order to get better access). Putting everything back together was actually much easier than taking it apart lol.

That being said, I'm pretty sure the labor cost of getting something like this done at a shop would be insanely high (plus I just don't trust most mechanics), so I'm really glad we did it ourselves.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chance S2K
Originally Posted by dustin02rsx' timestamp='1413846018' post='23376531
I actually think some people on this forum prefer to use jack stands rather than a lift for certain parts of the clutch install, probably just because it's easier to lower the trans on the ground.

It's definitely a PITA. Between me and my friend doing this for the first time, we collectively spent probably about ~20 hours working on the car. A huge portion of that time was spent trying to remove the top two 17mm transmission housing bolts close to the firewall (we ended up lowering the entire subframe in order to get better access). Putting everything back together was actually much easier than taking it apart lol.

That being said, I'm pretty sure the labor cost of getting something like this done at a shop would be insanely high (plus I just don't trust most mechanics), so I'm really glad we did it ourselves.
Lowering the subframe to reach the top two bell housing bolts is the normal approach. I typically lower the subframe ~3" and use a series of extensions/swivels all the way back by the tailshaft/shift assembly on the trans to reach the bolts. Nice start!
Old 10-20-2014, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by herecomesboost
Originally Posted by Chance S2K' timestamp='1413846712' post='23376539
[quote name='dustin02rsx' timestamp='1413846018' post='23376531']

Lowering the subframe to reach the top two bell housing bolts is the normal approach. I typically lower the subframe ~3" and use a series of extensions/swivels all the way back by the tailshaft/shift assembly on the trans to reach the bolts. Nice start!
[/quote]
Thanks man

Yeah, once we finally lowered the subframe everything went quite a bit smoother. So much of the car has to come apart just to access the clutch, it's just a very tedious job.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:23 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Should be nice fun driving fast spooling car.

Will that catch can setup fit with the ram horn?
Old 10-23-2014, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by AFK-S2K
Should be nice fun driving fast spooling car.

Will that catch can setup fit with the ram horn?
It will, but I'll need to relocate the battery and (at the very least) try to shove the fuse box as far up close to the strut tower as I can. Really hoping I don't have to relocate the fuse box.

I have a lot more stuff coming in the mail over the next couple days, so I'll update with a few more pics shortly. The actual "build" portion of this will probably start around Thanksgiving, since I'll have a few consecutive days off from school and hopefully work as well. I'm going on a small ~300 mile "road trip" in a couple weeks too and I need the car for that, so I don't want to take it apart yet

Edit: Oh, I should also have some 245/45/16 Potenza RE-11's going on the rear of the car in the next couple of days.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck bro! That mani made close to 500whp with a 35r replica turbo lol

Quick Reply: Chance S2K's "S2KI Rejects" Turbo Build