Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Operation Storytime: Nobody Likes the Tuna Here

Old 01-05-2015, 07:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum
i'm really surprised at how much of a difference that helmholtz pipe made. I've owned the first gen SE dual and the updated version cut down on drone significantly. Makes me miss the greddy!
Me too, and I'll update the review to speak more on it. Basically it sounds just like the OEM exhaust while driving down the freeway, it's really impressive.

You should take a SE exhaust and fab it up so it fits in your Mugen bumper
Old 01-05-2015, 08:43 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

i would love to do that someday!
Old 01-06-2015, 04:09 PM

Mugen Hardtop Test Fit

Chris Lum was gracious enough to test fit his authentic Mugen hardtop on my car to see how it looks, partly to see how it would fit and partly because I can't decide if I want a black hardtop or a colormatched Silverstone hardtop! I'm hard pressed but I think I'm leaning towards color matched, especially since my CE28's are bronze. If my CE28's were black, I would definitely paint the top black... I still have time to decide though.

I would also say that you shouldn't hesitate to buy authentic, they fit so snugly I'll also say that if you aren't planning on taking the hardtop off, to go ahead and get locks and there are ways to bolt the hardtop to the car, which is what I want to do after I gut my soft top.

I can't wait to get mine on!

Old 01-06-2015, 05:11 PM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Greddy exhaust looks sweet, and sounds like it fits your wishes for the car very well.

+1 for color matching the hardtop.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Color match the top IMO, unless the wheels go to silver or black.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by TooSoon
Color match the top IMO, unless the wheels go to silver or black.
I'm thinking the same. Wheels are bronze.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:44 PM

Volk CE28

These are what started the whole game for me.

This was the first thing I purchased for my car that wasn't maintenance. For the longest time I had been planning on running 17x9+40 because the size I really wanted was discontinued, and I really like how it looked on Amuse's Touge Monster. I never quite pulled the trigger thinking that I had plenty of time to purchase before I needed them. July rolls around and I saw a picture that Evasive posted of 17x10+45 CE28's, and they said they had some left, so I immediately called their shop. I was actually walking down the street headed to a museum of all places when I saw their post; long story short, I really wanted bronze and they didn't have any bronze left, but they were doing another group buy. I decided that bronze was really the color I wanted, so I went for it and gave them my credit card number over the phone on the side of the road in Itaewon of all places. Anyway, I ordered in July and they showed up in December.

Ultimately I decided to hold off on putting them on because I didn't want to murder my OEM fenders. I have Downforce fenders, which test fit great, but I knew I was going to be running a hardtop and to get the best paint match everything needs to happen at the same time, so due to timing I ultimately decided to wait. It was a hard decision but in the end, the right one.

Spoon and Izzy really like JDM parts, they couldn't wait to see what was inside.

Here are the Downforce fenders test fit.

Initial impressions are they basically fit on the first try. It needs a little bit of sanding where it meets the headlight, but we're talking millimeters here. They also make OEM wheels look really sunken in.

I went with Downforce fenders because it seems that there's this constant discussion of "will it fit" and "will it rub" to the point where I want to tear my hair out. I know I'm going to have a good 20mm of fender clearance because technically I could have run OEM rolled fenders with this setup, but I didn't want to risk it. I want to be able to go up a driveway without worrying about tearing a fender off, or turning it into bacon. Plus this way I can get full compression in the front without rubbing, and the wheel will tuck in nicely to the fender in full compression.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

neat.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the damn wheels put on already.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by TooSoon
Get the damn wheels put on already.
Lol read my text above, it gives a reason.

Plus the car is currently in storage, unfortunately. I wish I had moved somewhere with better roads, I would have shipped my car. Way too many potholes and crappy roads here. Not to mention all the random speedbumps.

Quick Reply: Operation Storytime: Nobody Likes the Tuna Here