UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Change clutch on axle stands - height required?

Old 01-14-2015, 05:41 AM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Change clutch on axle stands - height required?

I've decided to swap my clutch whilst I've got the manifolds off after replacing my head gasket. Those of you who have managed the job on axle stands, what height did you have the car at?

I've seem a couple of threads saying you really want it 2 feet up (600mm), but that would mean new stands and probably a new jack too. Although I love an excuse to buy more tools, funds are getting tight, so I'm wondering if it's really necessary.

All (relevant) info very much welcomed.

Rgds
Chris
Old 01-14-2015, 06:04 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi,
Me and a mate had to remove the gearbox when we pulled the engine from a S2000 to go into a project car. This was all done on axle stands and jacks, but I would not recommend it. Was a complete PITA to remove, and an experience that made my choice clear that should my S2000 need a new clutch, I will pay for it to be done.
Luckily we never had to put it back onto the S2000, but I know the reverse would have been even more difficult. (Lifting the box, lining it up etc...)

If you do decide to do it, make sure you have a couple mates about to help, the gearbox is HEAVY.

The job was done with standard height(Heavy Duty)axle stands from Halfrauds and a high lift trolley jack.

Good luck!
Old 01-14-2015, 06:21 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I echo Shaddow but you've done some of the hard work to allow you to drop the engine with the fanimolds being taken off. You'll need to lower the engine to get to those top two bolts - so the remove the mounts and lower might be your best bet rather than the subframe lowering method.

(I paid for my clutch to be done last year as I just didn't want to attempt on the drive)
Old 01-14-2015, 06:25 AM

Thanks, I gather it isn't going to be straightforward, but it seems a bit daft to put the intake and exhaust manifolds, plus alternator etc back on the car when they're just going to be taken off again. Maybe it is worth the effort just to get it to the local garage. Will cost a few hundred in labour too, I dare say.

Any other experiences?
Old 01-14-2015, 07:55 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Oh yeah, I forgot the whole issue of having to drop the engine.
As the engine was coming out anyway in my case, some of the engine mounts where removed and the engine angled to allow a hand to reach in and undo the top 2 - 3 bolts.

Never had to pay for it to be done so not sure on the cost, but sure people on here should be able to tell you the average price to have a clutch fitted. Sure its MUCH easier and quicker when you have a ramp and air tools.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:20 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Helped my mate do it absolute knightmare, as high as you can get it! Axel stands won't cut it though, it's doable but take a long time.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:10 AM

Thanks guys. Time isn't a problem, I don't mind taking a weekend over it. And my research has found that the engine only requires dropping slightly. I am wondering whether I can get to the bolts a little easier from the top, given that I've got the manifolds off. Intake manifold and alternator being off should make the starter bolt easier to get at.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did it on bog standard size stands at their full height and a couple of trolly jacks. Not easy but doable. Hardest part is lifting gearbox back into position. Basically the higher you can get it the easier the job is while your under
Old 01-14-2015, 10:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was on my own with no help aswell. An extra pair of hands would help especially with the lifting/ manovering and separating the box from the engine
Old 01-14-2015, 11:18 AM

Cheers, good to know it is possible on my own. Worth £120 on some 600mm axle stands and a high lift jack vs my normal ones, do you reckon?

Quick Reply: Change clutch on axle stands - height required?