Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

thechase136's AP1 Time Attack Build

Old 01-29-2016, 01:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arsenal
How about rasp on overrun? A lot of exhausts sound good until the throttle is closed.
Overrun actually sounds way better than it did with the UK mod, it's more of a smooth tone rather than that reverberation these cars are prone to.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:45 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

How about rasp on overrun? A lot of exhausts sound good until the throttle is closed.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:33 PM

Thanks to Forbidden and their almost comically fast shipping, I'm finally free of window seal fitment issues!!!

thechase136's AP1 Time Attack Build-n1efhyu.jpg

Seals much better than the old ones

thechase136's AP1 Time Attack Build-gpzja7y.jpg

thechase136's AP1 Time Attack Build-ehlazm5.jpg

thechase136's AP1 Time Attack Build-e05t3pc.jpg

Installation was quick and the product works really well, Jessica is finally watertight! They even inserted a rigid rubber hose down the middle of the seals in the exact place that the curve is, so they don't bend/fold. The finished product looks really clean and there is now zero wind noise coming from any part of the hardtop.

I also took a picture of the exhaust fitment from the rear so you guys can see what I was talking about earlier:

thechase136's AP1 Time Attack Build-o0z8kp7.jpg

Here's a video of a cold start too, if you have a subwoofer or decent set of headphones it actually sounds pretty accurate:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piDOpPNdF9g[/media]

I'll be back at the track tomorrow trying to dial in tire pressures & compression/rebound settings, stay tuned for some more in-car POV runs and maybe a few shots of the car on track if my passenger is willing to take some pics
Old 01-30-2016, 03:21 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The new seals look a lot better

Awaiting more videos of exhaust
Old 01-31-2016, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by jaor.s2k
The new seals look a lot better

Awaiting more videos of exhaust

Got some in-car runs on tape to show the difference in sound in the driver's seat:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKZ-zs4oHEY[/media]

Had a lot of fun out there yesterday, only a few minutes of light sprinkling and dry the rest of the day. I can't believe what a difference the new seat, harness, and wheel made, it's so much easier to feel what the chassis is doing when you're literally immobilized in your seat.

My buddy also kept track of the fastest times for the day, we were pretty surprised to see that the subaru guys were some of the slower ones out there. It looked like their cars just weren't rotating at lower speeds.

33.37 - Chase
33.54 - 911 GT3
34.1 - Blue Focus ST
34.17 - Red Miata
34.29 - White Miata
34.36 - Rx-7
34.49 - Silver S2k
34.59 - Black s2k
34.79 - Corvette
34.88 - Focus
35.73 - BRZ
36.5 - 240sx
37.6 - Mazda 3
38.3 - GTI
39.5 - Blue STI
40.62 - Silver WRX
41.19 - Altima

And some passenger POV runs:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmglPrOfv_U[/media]
Old 02-05-2016, 01:54 PM

Got the car back after being tuned on the new EMS a few hours ago and man, what a difference.

thechase136's AP1 Time Attack Build-dweqljb.jpg

The numbers are a bit low overall, but this dyno is known to read pretty low. The car put down 200hp/131lb-ft on the baseline run and 205hp/133lb-ft after the tune, but the good part is how that power is delivered now. We changed the VTEC crossover to 4700rpm and the mid range completely came alive, the car is so much more enjoyable on the street and the problems I've been having with mid-corner VTEC kicks are definitely no longer an issue.

It also got rid of that dip in hp/tq near ~8300rpm, you can really feel the power hold all the way to the limiter now. The launch control seems to work really well too, looking forward to trying that out at the autocross.

I got the chance to snag up one of the Voltex street front bumpers in FRP/carbon that's arriving in April today so I'm pretty excited about that. It's probably going to be pretty difficult to match the mystery aftermarket paint job though, so if anyone has a recommendation for a body shop capable of that sort of thing in Orange County it would be much appreciated.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:04 PM

After vaporizing the stock pads, I went in for some new ones yesterday and ended up with an AP Racing 330mm J-hook BBK with Project Mu Club Racer pads:

thechase136's AP1 Time Attack Build-thx2txa.jpg

thechase136's AP1 Time Attack Build-tjrspj2.jpg

Fits with plenty of room to spare:

thechase136's AP1 Time Attack Build-bh3ddp4.jpg

Attachment 173375

I cannot express just how blown away I am by this kit. I was expecting a moderate increase in braking force, but mostly consistency in pedal feel & performance from lap to lap. What I got was an unbelievable increase in braking performance, far beyond what I ever would have ever would have imagined. I had to use the 6pt harness while bedding in the pads, I thought I was going to bounce my head off the windshield.

The pedal feel is light and compliant at first, but firms up very nicely as the pads dig in and allows for very accurate modulation. I can't speak for the braking consistency yet, but I'll be at the Roval in Fontana next weekend to test things out and I absolutely can't wait. Turn 1 is braking down from ~130 to 40mph, so it should be a fairly good test of how well they hold up.

I also installed a cool little product from SRP that addresses the wide spacing between the brake and gas pedals for heel/toe:

thechase136's AP1 Time Attack Build-uu0glbp.jpg

Before, I had to put the ball of my foot on the edge of the brake pedal to reach the gas:

thechase136's AP1 Time Attack Build-xe5f0ze.jpg

Now the pedal spacing is significantly closer:

thechase136's AP1 Time Attack Build-3ckojfg.jpg

And I'm able to have the ball of my foot in the center of the brake pedal without taking my heel off the ground for a blip:

thechase136's AP1 Time Attack Build-pgixfqo.jpg

I'm really happy with the SRP gas pedal, the machining is top notch and the size is perfect. Exactly what I was looking for.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thechase136
Originally Posted by jaor.s2k' timestamp='1453987573' post='23864860
[quote name='thechase136' timestamp='1453936379' post='23864413']
[quote name='jaor.s2k' timestamp='1453726770' post='23861851']
Looks great man! I think all you need is an OEM lip or Gears (RSG) and your set!
Much appreciated! Right now I'm thinking I might go Amuse/Shine R1 with some sort of splitter, maybe APR if it would fit well underneath that bumper but I'll have to look into it.

How do you like the Shine replica? I'm wondering if the flexible material might be a better choice for track duty rather than the authentic Amuse.
There are companies that make splitters to fit the Amuse bumper, S-Factor and WASP are a couple that do. I am thinking of eventually getting a WASP splitter

S-Factor, they don't do carbon I believe, cheaper option:

WASP, can opt for chassis braced splitter and stand on it if you wish lol, more expensive, I believe they only do CF:

As for the Shine bumper, I don't think it's that flexible, feels pretty stiff to me. Both of the bumpers I have bought are used, so the previous owners may have added more material in the inside to stiffen them up, which seems like a common practice to do to Shine bumpers. The fitment seems pretty good, but then again, I bought the bumpers used so the previous owners did all the work haha

As for being on the track, they are both FRP by the end of the day, they will crack if you hit something.
[/quote]

That was extremely helpful, thanks for getting back to me! I really like the idea of a chassis-braced splitter like the WASP, looks really good on the Amuse front end.

Although I also discovered the Voltex Street bumper last night and I'm in love. i think this may be the way I end up going on my car.

[/quote]

That picture is my laptop backround! haha good choice
Old 02-14-2016, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Amaritpal
Originally Posted by thechase136' timestamp='1454009941' post='23865258
[quote name='jaor.s2k' timestamp='1453987573' post='23864860']
[quote name='thechase136' timestamp='1453936379' post='23864413']
[quote name='jaor.s2k' timestamp='1453726770' post='23861851']
Looks great man! I think all you need is an OEM lip or Gears (RSG) and your set!
Much appreciated! Right now I'm thinking I might go Amuse/Shine R1 with some sort of splitter, maybe APR if it would fit well underneath that bumper but I'll have to look into it.

How do you like the Shine replica? I'm wondering if the flexible material might be a better choice for track duty rather than the authentic Amuse.
There are companies that make splitters to fit the Amuse bumper, S-Factor and WASP are a couple that do. I am thinking of eventually getting a WASP splitter

S-Factor, they don't do carbon I believe, cheaper option:

WASP, can opt for chassis braced splitter and stand on it if you wish lol, more expensive, I believe they only do CF:

As for the Shine bumper, I don't think it's that flexible, feels pretty stiff to me. Both of the bumpers I have bought are used, so the previous owners may have added more material in the inside to stiffen them up, which seems like a common practice to do to Shine bumpers. The fitment seems pretty good, but then again, I bought the bumpers used so the previous owners did all the work haha

As for being on the track, they are both FRP by the end of the day, they will crack if you hit something.
[/quote]

That was extremely helpful, thanks for getting back to me! I really like the idea of a chassis-braced splitter like the WASP, looks really good on the Amuse front end.

Although I also discovered the Voltex Street bumper last night and I'm in love. i think this may be the way I end up going on my car.

[/quote]

That picture is my laptop backround! haha good choice
[/quote]

Such a good looking car, I can't wait to for the voltex bumper to get here.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:02 PM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

Those brakes fit with no spacer on a 17x9 +45 Advan RSII? Damn! That's good as hell to know. Looks great man!

Quick Reply: thechase136's AP1 Time Attack Build