S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP2 delay removal, slipping clutch afterwards

Old 08-28-2006, 05:50 PM

Received 1,221 Likes on 751 Posts
Default AP2 delay removal, slipping clutch afterwards

Got an 05 here with the clutch delay valve removed. The customer states that the clutch has been slipping pretty bad since, and the whole "damage has already been done" comes to mind. So I pull the trans expecting to find a glazed PP and flywheel. The guy does track the car regularly. He's got lots of high end eqiupment on the car, complete with R coumpound tires. So I'm sure it gets put to the test.

Seems this clutch, with 16,200 miles, is virtually like new. There is not a single heat check/spot on the pressure plate or the flywheel, and the disc is only .005 thinner than a new disc. There is no glazing at all, just a hint of blue from the slipping. No real clutch dust either.

so I'm going to throw out this "theory" and see what you guys think.

After removing the delay valve, the PP will re-engage faster. But in light of the heavy AP2 flywheel, the engine cannot slow down fast enough to equalize speed with the disc after changing gears. Hence the slipping. So I THINK...those who pull the delay, and find the clutch is worse, are having timing issues.

The AP2 can be driven just as fast or faster than the AP1 as it comes from the factory, because the heavy flywheel keeps the momentum between shifts. Removing the delay may help the car feel like it's biting better, but nothing can change the time it takes for the flywheel to decel (except a lightweight flywheel). Bottom line, I don't think the AP2 can be shifted as fast as the AP1. However, it does not need to. And it does not make it slower. Someone who knows how to drive it should easily be able to walk an AP1.

You follow me?

Input....

Old 08-28-2006, 06:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How much heavier is the AP2 flywheel than the AP1?
Old 08-28-2006, 06:42 PM

Received 1,221 Likes on 751 Posts

ALOT need a scale. Bring yours over dammit
Old 08-28-2006, 06:53 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting... Thanks Bill
Old 08-28-2006, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

see in the pic bill. the hot spots that are associated with weak PP. burn marks at 12 and 6
seen it a thousand times. pressure plate is too weak. his parts do look pretty good, and for those who dont abuse the car, removal of the valve is OK, but see the oxymoron there, if they are complaining of slip, they are abusing it enough (hard/fast shifts) to notice the weak PP.
if you launch your car alot. just leave it. and have a nice clutch installed.
the AP1 clutch was too weak, with no delay, and the AP2 makes more power,,,, ya hear me?
replacement of stock clutch is a must, sorry guys but thats how it is. same as a supra. stock clutch just blows. i have 40k+ miles on a stage 2 with stock AP2 disk. and it holds like a vise. i sidestep it nonstop. and have ZERO problems. i just go through alot of tires. hehe. later dave
Old 08-28-2006, 08:05 PM

So it sounds like removing the delay valve may only be really useful if you go to a lightened flywheel. Interesting....Would be curious to know the lb diff between the two flywheels.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:21 AM

So we need to get a new PP and a lightened flywheel to take full advantage of the removal of the CDV ? If thats the case could we go with a AP1 flywheel and an aftermarket PP?
Old 08-29-2006, 10:53 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Interesting, this is the first I've heard that the AP2 flywheel is heavier than the AP1. Subscribing to this thread - I'm curious about the exact numbers.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I can say is I can't wait to get my car back with the new set up!!! After feeling the stock ap2 fw vs the ap1 I can see how the PP may be too weak to hold it during track driving (high rev shifts).

The new set up will be a huge inprovement!
Old 08-29-2006, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tel1sps,Aug 29 2006, 03:57 PM
All I can say is I can't wait to get my car back with the new set up!!! After feeling the stock ap2 fw vs the ap1 I can see how the PP may be too weak to hold it during track driving (high rev shifts).

The new set up will be a huge inprovement!
What setup are you running now?

Quick Reply: AP2 delay removal, slipping clutch afterwards