UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Rear wheel arches

Old 03-08-2009, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wheel arches

After checking the Teg underneath the rear wheel arch protectors (and finding little to no rust ) I thought I'd do the same on the S2000.

So I removed the protectors and there's a little surface rust - not too much, but definitely worth catching now.

The amazing thing for me though was the amount of caked on mud around the inside of the arches (9yrs/100k worth). I need to get it on a ramp to have a real go at this before I get the car undersealed. Any salt in that mud though and it'll be rotting through.

The S2000 is getting to the age now where the early owners need to stay on top of this.

It's definitely worth getting those protectors off and having a look.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The rear arches on my s don't have a plastic liner like the fronts, am i alone - is there something missing or are you just referring to the build up of nature's finest?
Old 03-08-2009, 10:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never really thought about removing them thinking the protectors protected them!! I never sell my cars unless I deform the shape somehow its beyond repair!! so Im hoping my S will be with me for years to come.

Once the weather warms up I think this will be my summer job. Thanks for the heads up
Old 03-08-2009, 10:35 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bassoctopus,Mar 8 2009, 06:13 PM
After checking the Teg underneath the rear wheel arch protectors (and finding little to no rust ) I thought I'd do the same on the S2000.

So I removed the protectors and there's a little surface rust - not too much, but definitely worth catching now.

The amazing thing for me though was the amount of caked on mud around the inside of the arches (9yrs/100k worth). I need to get it on a ramp to have a real go at this before I get the car undersealed. Any salt in that mud though and it'll be rotting through.

The S2000 is getting to the age now where the early owners need to stay on top of this.

It's definitely worth getting those protectors off and having a look.
Told you it was worth having a look Neil

I will be waxyoiling mine in a few months time.

I'm taking it into the bodyshop on tuesday, to have a few problems fixed this one of them.

Do you think its best to remove the rust myself with my Hammerite rust stuff and let him spray, or just let him apply the hammerite rust stuff?.

Or once sprayed put the liners back on and waxoyoil beforehand?

Or a better solution overall?

Are you keeping your wheel liners off?
Old 03-08-2009, 11:15 AM

I don't think those liners will go back on easily.

Mine is at Lloyds for a service/mot in a couple of weeks. If everything else is ok I might ask them how much they will charge to sort them out. I have a really nasty rust patch on the O/S/F wing in the bottom corner behind the wheel arch. That needs sorting asap.

I have a good bodyshop locally so I'll get a quote from him too.

If you're hoping to keep the car long term, you must keep an eye on this. It's well known on the DC2 Teg forums and they all remove the protectors and leave them off.

GB on waxoyling AJ? I need the Teg done too
Old 03-08-2009, 11:28 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Kaercher do a special lance to clean out yer rear arches.

It's a critical area on every Honda...
Old 03-08-2009, 11:47 AM

What does it look like Nick? I have a Kercher
Old 03-08-2009, 11:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bassoctopus,Mar 8 2009, 07:15 PM
I don't think those liners will go back on easily.

Mine is at Lloyds for a service/mot in a couple of weeks. If everything else is ok I might ask them how much they will charge to sort them out. I have a really nasty rust patch on the O/S/F wing in the bottom corner behind the wheel arch. That needs sorting asap.

I have a good bodyshop locally so I'll get a quote from him too.

If you're hoping to keep the car long term, you must keep an eye on this. It's well known on the DC2 Teg forums and they all remove the protectors and leave them off.

GB on waxoyling AJ? I need the Teg done too
Oh okay, i will just leave them off then makes more sense.

Haha, you have the same rust patch and same position as i do!

Probably will keep it long term

GB on waxoyling, sure!. Do you want to organise or me?. I dont know how much would be needed to do one car though?. PM me if you want to sort out the GB, suppliers, prices etc.

Cheers Neil

P.S Lloylds sent a spark plug cover bolt for nothing! was 80 odd pence but still!.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bassoctopus,Mar 8 2009, 07:47 PM
What does it look like Nick? I have a Kercher
What's that - a dog?
Old 03-08-2009, 12:12 PM

Like this

Quick Reply: Rear wheel arches