S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Prototype: Forged Performance Turbo Kit

Old 04-13-2010, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prototype: Forged Performance Turbo Kit

Hi everyone, I know a couple members here whom I've been chatting with through PM's have been waiting for me to post up a build thread. Originally I was hoping to post up everything all at once including dyno results by the end of March. But for all of us whom has been through some kind car builds know that nothing ever go as planned, and there will always be parts being delivered late, or to the wrong locations.

Anyway, I thought I would go ahead and get this long over due build thread started now, and then just update it when I get the final tuned results since the project coming to a completion.

Background:

I started with a 7psi CTSC kit, and have had it for a about 6 years. Just recently, I made the investment to go high boost. So I invested in injectors, Kpro, and Puddymod diff, and then had the folks at Forged Performance do the install and tune.

I was happy with the result, however I've always been tempted by the idea of Turbo. The only thing holding me back was the cost, and the unknown factors of what expectations to set for myself going into a turbo project. Because after reading all of the AMAZING build threads by members here reaching goals of 500, 600, and 700 HP street S2000's, I was intimidated by what it involved to get to there. So I patiently just lurked in the FI threads, while trying to figure out what I want out of MY S2000.

November 09, guys at Forged approached me with the idea of building a Turbo Kit for the S2000 community, and wanted to see if I would be interested in donating my car for an indefinite amount of time, as well as fronting the cost for main Turbo components, while they supply the labor and tuning. I was hesitant at first, but after talking to them thoroughly on their vision for the turbo kit. I felt that it was a good fit for me, and I trust their work base on my past experience, so I decided to drop my car off with my deposit that very same weekend.

Vision for the Turbo Kit:

- This kit does not require the relocation of any stock component under the hood. Though it doesn't mean its not a good idea to do so for items such as battery or fuse box.

- True Equal length tubular manifold

- Target boost level does not require the owner to lower the stock compression ratio through the means of head gasket or new pistons. HP goal using the GT30R is between 350-400HP depending on the type of Dyno.

- Lots of room to grow if/when the owner chooses to up the boost down the road.

To me, those requirements fit my bill perfectly. I didn't want to have to relocate everything under the hood. I also don't want a huge amount of power, and have to compromise my stock compression in doing so (at least at this time). And the idea of having an equal length manifold sounds really good since I think the S2000 community as a whole don't have a lot to choose from in terms of equal length manifolds, and it would only benefits everyone when we have more options.

That being said, here is a main list of components relating to this Turbo Kit. Of course, I will have to revise it as things become more official as what will be included in the kit, and what will not.

Turbo Parts:

Garret GT30R
Forged Performance Equal length Tubular Manifold
Tial Wastegate
Tial BOV
500HP intercooler core with Forged build end tanks
3" down pipe
Custom intercooler piping - Single piece between turbo and intercooler, and single piece from intercooler to the throttle body. Less chance for boost leak.

Items I already have or added on to this build:

Hondata Kpro with Wideband mod
Kpro boost controller to enable boost by gear
Tuner View II - Display data output by Kpro through USB
Bosch 1000cc Injectors
AEM Fuel regulator
SOS 3 Bar MAP Sensor
Walboro Fuel Pump
Koyo Radiator
Oil Catch Can - build by Forged
Ceramic coating for DP, Turbo Hot side, Manifold.
Turbo Blanket
Heat wrap for Down pipe
DMH electronic 3" Exhaust cutout

Here are some pictures. I will post up more details as this project gets wrapped up. They will actually be removing all the parts soon to take some detail pictures once they have everything perfectly mounted in my car.

Pictures:

Before ceramic coating

Ceramic coating done, and painted flat black

Install phase 1 - Test fit manifold and DP

Install phase 2 - Test fit Intercooler core. The piping on the intercooler are welded to the end tanks.

Bonus Shoot:

The installer (John) at Forged owns an S2000 himself which he tracks religiously. He just recently completed his own custom roll cage for his track S2000.

Thanks for reading!!

I will do my best to keep this updated whenever I find more stuff out.

5-10-2010: Dyno numbers posted.

5-15-2010: Forged Performance Dyno Day

The turbo kit put up a health 401HP in front of a good size crowd.

11-06-2010: PSI Dyno Day

Red Line is with cutout closed.
Blue line is with cutout open.

Video

http://vimeo.com/11791664?hd=1

Finished Product

Brian
Old 04-13-2010, 10:59 AM

Old 04-13-2010, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you guys going to brace that manifold?
Old 04-13-2010, 11:39 AM

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Great build and it seems like a great new kit for our community!
Old 04-13-2010, 11:44 AM

sweet looking mani, very clean
Old 04-13-2010, 12:00 PM

Looks a lot like the HP Performance 2 piece manifold I used to have. It was a true EL manifold too...

John
Old 04-13-2010, 12:05 PM

The price will be interesting. I think it'll have trouble competing against Mase's kit unless it's complete (tune, fuel, management, whatever) and significantly cheaper.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by QuagmireS2k,Apr 13 2010, 12:28 PM
Are you guys going to brace that manifold?
That has been discussed extensively between the manifold builder, John and myself.

Currently its TBD, they want to put it on the dyno first and run through the gears and observe the movements.

The manifold builder said that the method which he used to weld is very strong, but he's not oppose to add some sort of damper/bracket device to brace the manifold.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:34 PM

Ooh, is Sharif still around? Cool guy and good luck with the kit.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:33 PM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Very nice man and very clean! That turbo placement looks much like mine. I love the catch can too. Where did you get it and what was removed to make it fit? I dont see the throttle cable that loops around that area anymore. Did you rearrange it?

Quick Reply: Prototype: Forged Performance Turbo Kit