S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

S2000 Caught fire! :@

Old 02-14-2011, 03:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile S2000 Caught fire! :@

Hello All!!!

Im a newbie to the s2000 forum,

Bought an AP1 3 weeks ago, needed a service so had this done by a local garage which are very respectable in the area, 35miles after an oil and filter change I was entering a dual carriage way at 8k rpm and suddenly smoke every where!!

I stopped the car within 10secs and the car was on fire! Apparently the oil filter had spewed out oil onto the exhaust manifold!

So..

I had the s2k towed to the garage which was luckily only a few miles away at the time, not to much dammage other than burnt HT leads and windscreen was jet tubing, the fire was put down to a "trapped oil filter" on installation of the part. So they replaced it and check the whole engine over, also a free major service and refund of the oil and filter change etc..

Picked the car up! Next day I had exactly the same problem again!! bloody pi55ed off this time! This was entering a dual carriage way again at near to 9k rpm and it blew!! Had the garage come and collect the car and take back to the garage.

This morning they have looked at it and said it looks to be either the oil filter giving way (Faulty part) (Part number: DMFOC115) which they ordered from Marland? apparently this company supplies Honda with the filters :S, OR to much pressure blowing the oil filter?? Now they have ordered the filter from HONDA UK. I just wondered what I need to ensure this garage needs to do for this NOT to happen again..

I did stop the car both times quickly and there was enough oil left in the engine despite the explosion of oil over the engine bay!! Do I need to be getting them to supply me with any sort of warranty?

Pictures to follow of the 2nd break down!!!!

Cheers

Jonny
P.S. I have just ordered SSR GT1'S alloys so these will be fitted to the car upon its return I have also replaced the centre console to leather, new wipers etc so gradually transforming the car!!
Old 02-14-2011, 05:25 AM

Received 3,389 Likes on 2,460 Posts

it might be the wrong oil filter altogether, if the sizing is incorrect it would create excess pressure and cheaper built filters will burst. It would be nice to see a picture of the filter and compare it to a proper Honda filter made for your engine. I can't see your motor making too much oil pressure to cause that, we've seen a lot of different sized filters shoehorned onto these engines and this is what can happen. I originally speculated that the old filter gasket is being stuck onto the filter base causing a double gasket situation on installation, but they should have figured it out by now if that was the case.

You should demand a warranty in case you develop an oil starvation issue once the problem is corrected, it wasn't your fault the filter was screwed.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:13 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I would never go back there again!
Ever!
If you do go back: don't let them touch the car.
Just make sure they understand you're very dissapointed with their service.
(understatement)

The right OEM oil filter for the S2000 is: 15400-PCX-004
Tighten it according to the instructions on the filter.
And make sure there is no old gasket left on the seat of the block.
Follow this and it will not leak or loosen.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:20 AM

I'm sure the shop left the old gasket in there. So the Oil never seated correctly.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:36 AM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by puredrive888,Feb 14 2011, 11:20 AM
I'm sure the shop left the old gasket in there. So the Oil never seated correctly.
This is what I think, and if it happened twice, it could happen again. Only other thing I've seen is oil filters not tightened enough and they back off.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:15 AM

yep, left the old ring on, or a cheapy cardboard filter, look into PCX filters from either amsoil or bosch or OEM. They are held together with steel not soggy tampons
Old 02-14-2011, 09:47 AM

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

pics of the filter!!!
Old 02-14-2011, 10:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by starchland,Feb 14 2011, 10:47 AM
pics of the filter!!!
^^^ X2

Did the filter rupture or did oil just leak out around it?
Old 02-14-2011, 04:19 PM

Received 1,271 Likes on 775 Posts

OEM filter uses metal to metal contact to achieve torque. Unlike other filters, the only thing holding them on is the squish of the gasket. It is near impossible to blow out an oem, as there is no where for the gasket to escape.

15400-PCX-004 is highly recommended. Use a wrench, and tighten it.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:10 AM

This was the smoke from the s2000!!

Sorry, I have no close ups of the filter,

Thank you for your help, Should be getting the car back today with the OEM filter fitted as per the part number you have posted above.

The garage are doing a full right up of the job, and if I do have any problems in the future that relate back to there work I am liable to claim off them.

The car is being detailed tommorw, will post pics once all the work is finished and alloys are on!!

Cheers all..

Quick Reply: S2000 Caught fire! :@