S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

No WONDER people hate the tonneau cover!

Old 05-06-2011, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No WONDER people hate the tonneau cover!

I never understood why the tonneau cover got such a bad rap over the years. They looked great in every picture I'd seen so why wouldn't an S2000 owner want one? Sure, plenty of people have told their story of installation hassles but come on... They MUST be doing something wrong.

I finally got around to installing my cover today and Jesus Christ! Installing the cover was the biggest pain in the ass you could possibly imagine. It truly is something you have to experience to "appreciate." I only put it on since the local S2Ki crew is headed to Yosemite tomorrow but I'm afraid this will be the first and possibly the last time I ever use the cover. I simply can't believe Honda would over engineer every aspect of this car except the mount points of the tonneau cover.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:25 PM

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,444 Posts

What is wrong with it ?,once you get used to the clips it is easy to use, push the clips on, to remove pull them outwards to release. The thing is kind of heavy but given the wind issues at higher speeds I can see why it has to be that way. If you don't use the cover regularly it gets stiff and creased and doesn't go on as easy as when you use it regularly, particularly with respect to the rear edge. I'm not crazy about the way it is designed but I prefer to use it rather than keep the rear area exposed and I think it works reasonably well.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:31 PM

Like you said, the cover gets stiff when not used often. I literally had to stretch the cover 1/4 inch to get the passenger side pin to snap into place. Not easy to do.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:10 PM

Im not sure, but maybe you could have soaked it in some water, rang it out, then tried installing it to make it stretch easier? Id like to get a tonneau cover in the near future for my '01..
Old 05-06-2011, 05:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine has never been used. Its sitting in the rafters of my garage collecting rat feces and urine.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

same with mine, sitting on top shelf of closet.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

if you think S's is difficlut - try Miata's
i still haven't unpacked mine - i was thinking to use it at long trips but due to its size looks like i won't be able to store it at the trunk at long stops when the roof is up. (most of my trunk is occupied by double layer car cover).
Old 05-06-2011, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't find it too hard to put on and take off, but it is really inconvenient. Get out of the car take it off, put it in the trunk (and if I have the glove compartment locked I have to turn off the car to unlock it to open the trunk) and get back in the car to put the top up. I have not used it in a long time. The times I do use it is when I know the top will be down for a while.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:14 PM

I can put it on and take it off in around a minute. Once you do it a few times, its really not very hard. I mean it is only 4 snaps. I just wish it folded up into a more compact size.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:42 PM

Not hard to do after you do it enough times, and it's stretched out. I got used to taking mine on and off, and used it for a couple of years, but it became too much of a hassle when taking short trips. I don't like leaving my top down when car is unattended/unseeable in the city, at a restaurant, ect ect, and the weather can also be unpredictable here. I also have a hardtop I pop on and off every few weeks now. My cover is in my closet now. I have trunk space finally. Does look nice with it on though, so I may pop it on now and then.

I agree though, when it sits folded for a long time, it can be annoying to put on.

Quick Reply: No WONDER people hate the tonneau cover!