UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Yokohama AD08 tyres

Old 09-25-2011, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yokohama AD08 tyres

Well, I figured that now my AD08's are finished ... at least on the rear I thought I would post up my thoughts of the experience to perhaps give a view that you might consider before spending out big money on these tyres. I put the tyres on all four corners at 69000 miles on my clock, just been out to check and my mileage is now 74374, and tyre tread on the rear is less than 3mm now, and really they need to be replaced and will be this week. The fronts are still 5 or 6 mm so still some time to go with those yet. So by my calculations that means the rear tyres have managed 5,374 miles before needing replacing, and they do need replacing of that I am certain

My experience then, well when brand new I can honestly say wet or dry they are the most impressive 'grip' tyres I have ever had on any car and certainly on the S. An example of this, I went out with a small group of Westfields, as most of you will know these little pocket rockets are seemingly on rails, I was able to keep with them no worries at all, corner where they did, brake where they did, and then drive home in a torrent of rain with absolutely no drama, car felt totally planted and loads of grip, I could almost feel the water being pushed out of the way via the tread so the tyre was in contact with the tarmac all the while, simply astonishing grip in the wet. Next thing I noticed was the braking, I wish I had some measurements to back this up, but the braking difference by having these tyres on my car was tantamount to have a huge brake upgrade on the car, seriously the stopping distance had been improved tremendously.

Traction, there was simply not enough power in the car to trouble the tyres, from a standing start the tyres would give massive grip to give maximum traction immediately and right through the power range in every gear. In summary regarding the tyres from a performance perspective, they are sublime when new and all the way down until about 4mm tread depth or so, at this point you start to feel slippage, notably in the wet at first, and then even in the dry slippage becomes apparent. I have had a few discussions with people on the forum who have also used these tyres and I think most would agree with my mini review, however in summary I would say that perhaps they give too much grip, this sounds silly I guess, how can you possibly have too much grip ever ... well I think that is the case with this tyre. Not once did the tyres give way for me, not even squeal at least not until the tread levels got to 4mm and less. Too much grip like that in the S seems to make it more docile somehow less fun even, if that makes sense, there is just zero concerns with the rear of the car whatever the conditions, certainly in any conditions I drove in with the AD08 tyre.

Value for money, well they cost in the region of £170 each, and this along with the high wear rate makes for a very expensive tyre choice and in my view not a very good value choice. My opinion to get the best value out of these tyres would be to do as many track days as you can with them on, and as many runs and spirited drives as possible whilst their gauge is deep enough, > 4mm. That way they could be a massive value tyre to you in your S2000. However for me they were/are a daily driver tyre and 5400 miles at 170 per corner is expensive unless those miles were done in an exciting way, I remember a few motorway trips thinking to myself 'what a waste of the tyre tread is this' and being very frustrated at that, but put them on a spare pair of wheels for track days or a couple of Nurburg ring visits now that could be amazing fun and value for sure. Would I buy them again, well not for a daily driver no, for all the reasons mentioned above I wouldn't ... probably not ... probably not !

Now, I am in the dilemma of what to replace my rears with, I think I have made the decision and will change them this week, depending how the car feels may change the fronts too very quickly but I suspect not.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice review, Almost purchased these from discount tires but they didnt have them in stock and no ETA from yokohama. So went with Z1 from tire rack.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:44 AM

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Great read! Same conclusion as when I ran R888, although I drove like a true grandad when it rained! Its tought to find a balance in tyres. Worth having 2 sets!!
Old 09-26-2011, 04:58 AM

Received 120 Likes on 104 Posts

Paul, these Bridgey's are pretty good. They still give some slight break away in the wet out of slippy junctions, but none in the dry. Braking is fabulous, i know though they are more £££'s on the 17" rims.
I'm thinking I will stay with Bridgestone when these get below 3mm, you know where you are with them. I'd be worried to get Falkens (which alot of the forum use) and find they just aren't up to what I want from them. You get what you pay for in some respects, but are the Bridgey's overpriced though? Thats the tricky thing with rubber. They mustn't be squidgy, must be firm but compliant.. courageous in the wet and operate properly at the right temps. Its all a personal choice. Whet ever tyres you get though Paul, they will be miles away from the grip you've had over summer.

By the way, I can personally vouch for the AD08's Paul has on the S. Mind blowing cornering grip, the tyres transform the car and inspire huge confidence. I remember that little passenger ride in summer Paul when they were nicely scrubbed in.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:43 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Good review.

Yes, they DO have too much grip, but you sort of get used to it.

I think I'll stick to Bridgestones for the S2000 though; they're more hooligan, tailslidey fun.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:28 AM

Tony, NIck, the Bridgestones are the tyres I ordered and were the next tyre of choice, a decision I had made yesterday, I figure its time to go back to them for their durability and drivability, and being brand new should not have too many concerns for me through the winter months of them being too hard, at least in the first year due to the new tread. I am hoping to get two winters out of them, but I expect I won't ... too much of a hooligan and too much rear camber will make sure of that I think I put the review up simply because I had threatened to, and a couple of people on here had expressed an interest in the AD08 longevity etc. so there we are job done

Heh heh yes Tony was a good blast for sure
Old 09-26-2011, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by nomadicS2k
Great read! Same conclusion as when I ran R888, although I drove like a true grandad when it rained! Its tought to find a balance in tyres. Worth having 2 sets!!
heh heh I remember seeing Ron (Ultra Nexus) on R888's in the damp .... now if you don't know Ron he is a very 'full on driver' and he was like the most timid pussy cat in that weather, I think he would have pulled over if it had properly rained that day, so I know exactly what you mean Nomadic None of those issues with AD08's however, perhaps you should consider those next time ?
Old 09-26-2011, 10:44 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k_Nut
Tony, NIck, the Bridgestones are the tyres I ordered and were the next tyre of choice, a decision I had made yesterday, I figure its time to go back to them for their durability and drivability, and being brand new should not have too many concerns for me through the winter months of them being too hard, at least in the first year due to the new tread. I am hoping to get two winters out of them, but I expect I won't ... too much of a hooligan and too much rear camber will make sure of that I think I put the review up simply because I had threatened to, and a couple of people on here had expressed an interest in the AD08 longevity etc. so there we are job done

Heh heh yes Tony was a good blast for sure
Indeed. But it's worth repeating for those who have their doubts what an amazing tyre compound can do.

Actually, I tend to shred the rears slightly faster than the fronts, too. I used to be really even on the S-02s, but my car isn't really set up for 17" wheels.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by s2k_Nut
However for me they were/are a daily driver tyre and 5400 miles at 170 per corner is expensive unless those miles were done in an exciting way, I remember a few motorway trips thinking to myself 'what a waste of the tyre tread is this' and being very frustrated at that
Great write-up, thanks - although it's kind of dented my plan to shoe my daily with them after winter!

Just wondered how many of the motorway trips on which you had those thoughts included substantial quantities of standing water?

I ask because my daily is my daily because at the moment there's no choice (not that I mind!) - and the reason why your write-up has only kind-of dented my plan is because I was taken by the kind of security you wrote about in those circumstances, when you first had them fitted. Expensive as they've worked out, they could still be priceless to someone who hasn't got any choice but to get out in all weathers.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Paul, have you ever used Goodyear Eagle Asymetrics? if so how would you compare - a lot of what you say (except the wear) rings true to me after using these for a couple of years.

Great review and reading

Quick Reply: Yokohama AD08 tyres