S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Knock

Old 11-13-2011, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock

I recently tuned my ap2 on flashpro and the knock count was maybe 5 in 15-20 minutes however after readjusting my test pipe my knock counts have been up in the 100's with just 5-10 minutes of driving. My knocks would jump up when accelerating from 3k-3.5k mostly in 2nd and 3rd. Could an exhaust leak cause knocks to jump? Anyone got any ideas of whats wrong? Thanks
Old 11-13-2011, 11:44 AM

Hey emphany...

Not sure about the exhaust leak, but I would do a couple things:

Check and make sure all your intake/exhaust parts are tight and are not rattling against anything. Probably would not hurt to make sure all the exhaust seals in there are tight also. What do your logs look like in that RPM range? Are you showing a lean spike? If so, that would make me think exhaust leak.

Could also be a resonance issue. I know my Injen intake was resonating in the right range to be reported as knock. I was running a bit rich at the time, and after putting a wideband in the car and adjusting the tune...I'm getting very few knock counts. After comparing my wideband numbers to the AF and AF Corr.....I'd tune to the AF Corr if you don't have a wideband.

Last thing I can think of right off is have you gotten gas at a station you don't normally use? You could have gotten a bad batch of gas.

Hope it helps
Old 11-14-2011, 10:26 AM

hi emphany,
your previous thread was this and u said that u got rid off the knock by Toda calibration.
is this a knock resurrection ?
Old 11-14-2011, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by xredjar
Hey emphany...

Check and make sure all your intake/exhaust parts are tight and are not rattling against anything. Probably would not hurt to make sure all the exhaust seals in there are tight also. What do your logs look like in that RPM range? Are you showing a lean spike? If so, that would make me think exhaust leak.

Could also be a resonance issue. I know my Injen intake was resonating in the right range to be reported as knock. I was running a bit rich at the time, and after putting a wideband in the car and adjusting the tune...I'm getting very few knock counts. After comparing my wideband numbers to the AF and AF Corr.....I'd tune to the AF Corr if you don't have a wideband.

Last thing I can think of right off is have you gotten gas at a station you don't normally use? You could have gotten a bad batch of gas.

Hope it helps
Hey thanks for the help i spent all day replacing my test pipe with my stock cat and swapping out my plm headers for stock, but it however still has excessive knocks whenever my car is udner load between 2.5k to 3.5k. I'm going to check my valve clearance and might change my TCT to see if its the cause of the knock.

Originally Posted by phantom_
hi emphany,
your previous thread was this and u said that u got rid off the knock by Toda calibration.
Hey my knock decreased but it didnt fully disappear, so i went in for a dyno tune. However, i would be cautious using any of hondatas base calibrations. My datalogs showed my car running perfect a/f ratio, i found out on the dyno i was actually running extremely lean. When i took off my headers today i saw my exhaust valves stems were all pure white...
Old 11-15-2011, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by emphany
Originally Posted by xredjar' timestamp='1321217072' post='21152717
Hey emphany...

Hope it helps
Hey thanks for the help i spent all day replacing my test pipe with my stock cat and swapping out my plm headers for stock, but it however still has excessive knocks whenever my car is udner load between 2.5k to 3.5k. I'm going to check my valve clearance and might change my TCT to see if its the cause of the knock.

Originally Posted by phantom_
hi emphany,
Hey my knock decreased but it didnt fully disappear, so i went in for a dyno tune. However, i would be cautious using any of hondatas base calibrations. My datalogs showed my car running perfect a/f ratio, i found out on the dyno i was actually running extremely lean. When i took off my headers today i saw my exhaust valves stems were all pure white...
With the wideband I've found that I'm running close to the AF Corr for AFRs. Not sure why the logs would be showing good AFRs, but the car would be running that lean. Hope you get it figured out.