S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Track your S2k? Check your oil filter!

Old 12-17-2011, 12:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Track your S2k? Check your oil filter!

If you track your S2k, you should make a habit of checking that the oil filter is tight between sessions. Apparently our cars are prone to oil filters coming loose due to repeated high RPM operation - an issue I was unaware of until too late.

While I was at MSR this past Saturday, the oil filter backed off its mount just enough to spew oil onto the exhaust manifold. This was part of the result.

You should also at the very least mount a 2.5lb fire extinguisher in the cockpit where it is easily accessible. It's been on my to do list for awhile... but unfortunately I waited too long. Fire services responded very quickly, but it still took them ~1-2 minutes to arrive on scene. If I'd had a personal extinguisher, I could probably have minimized the damage. Hopefully someone else can benefit from my mistakes!

For now it looks like the car is repairable. The engine harness is toast, as are the underhood insulation and most of the sensors on the valve cover. I do not know if there was any internal engine damage yet, I will hopefully find out this weekend after I've had a chance to replace the harness.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear man. I had my oil filter back out on me last month, but thankfully, everything happened as I was going out from the paddock. I noticed the oil light immediately and was able to shut the motor down in time. It looked like the Exxon Valdez under my car, but otherwise, everything was cool.

I hope the damage is as minimal as possible and repairs aren't too expensive!
Old 12-17-2011, 12:55 PM

Thanks. Speaking of which, does anyone make a good bolt in extinguisher mount for the S2k?
Old 12-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you do your own oil change or was it done by a shop? Shops are variable in how much care and attention they give to that detail. Sorry to hear about your incident.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

crazy thing about this is just the other day i seen a vendor selling an s2000 oil filter hold/lock thing to stop this issue. wanted like $100 for it, and all it was is a worm clamp, and a bracket. i was like who in the hell would ever need this or use one.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hear. I change my own oil and usually over tighten the filter by more than 1/4 turns, but I'll definitely check from now on. Hope the damage is repairable and your engine is fine.

Originally Posted by postman
crazy thing about this is just the other day i seen a vendor selling an s2000 oil filter hold/lock thing to stop this issue. wanted like $100 for it, and all it was is a worm clamp, and a bracket. i was like who in the hell would ever need this or use one.
I think I seen a DIY of one of those for a few bucks.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:29 PM

I've changed my own oil for 20 years. I've been tracking cars for over a decade, and never had issues before.

From everyone I've talked to, this is mire common with the S2k than I was aware of. FWIW, ASM makes an oil filter bracket for $75. Its made of maybe $10 in parts, but I've bought one anyway because I don't have the time to fab my own on top of rebuilding the car.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:29 PM

I have a lot of the parts you may need. i kept everything from my previously wrecked car and all harnesses are in good shape. Let me know and I am in Mckinney.
Brandon
Old 12-17-2011, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scary stuff. For my first oil change I used the PCX filter tightened the recommended 7/8 turn. Has anyone had specific issues with this?
Old 12-17-2011, 06:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BirdShot
Scary stuff. For my first oil change I used the PCX filter tightened the recommended 7/8 turn. Has anyone had specific issues with this?
You mean like the OP? Yes, there have been other threads on this problem since I've been on S2ki.com.

Quick Reply: Track your S2k? Check your oil filter!