Γενικά Θέματα εκτός S2000 For all Off Topic posts

For my Greek Friends. I have a question about unclaimed land

Old 07-09-2012, 09:54 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For my Greek Friends. I have a question about unclaimed land

Hello Fellow Greek S2k owners!

I had a question that maybe someone here could help with...

So, my background is Armenian and Greek. Mom is Greek, Dad is Armenian... Back in the early
part of the 1900's my mothers side of the family had to leave the country because of the
issues going on with the land, and was forced into moving into Turkey and changing their last name... (I dont
know the full details, but that is the just of it)

Anyways, Papou and Yaiya apparently owned a small piece of land on Gokceada and left it behind... This island used
to be called Imbroz or Imroz.

The thing is, I think this land is now owned by Turkey and it was swapped out between Greece and Turkey sometime.

My grandma threw away the deed because of all the BS crap that was going on back then and thought to herself she would
never be going back to Greece, so why keep it? (dumb, I know)

Anyways, is there a way we can go back and legally claim that land/ house back? It was way back in the early 1900's... so Im not
sure if we are even entitled to it anymore since its been so many years....
Old 07-09-2012, 10:11 AM
Banned

Wow, Started looking into this, and its so confusing!!!
Old 07-09-2012, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know if you can claim anything back but i know for sure that Imvros is Turkish now.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Community Organizer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello my friend,

I really do not know the island called Imbroz or Imroz to help you out if now belongs to Greece with another name or to turkey. From my poor knowledge i really doubt you can claim anything now without any deed or probably witness that can testify for you about this.I am really sorry for that

Chris
Old 07-09-2012, 11:00 AM
Banned

Dang , that sucks its Turkish now... and from my research, the Turks make it very difficult to even own land there if you are not Muslim... assholes!

Bullshit! They take your land away for whatever reason and force you out of a country and act like it's okay..
Old 07-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Banned

thanks for everyones input by the way! I always wanted to go to Greece and meet some family I have never met before (we have quite a few 2nd and 3rd cousins in Athens. This would have been a good excuse to go check it out.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Imvros and Tenedos belong to Turkey with the treaty of Laussane.Although in this treaty it was clearly said that Turks had to respect the human-political-ownership rights of the greek people,Turkey within a few years cancelled this in a way,with voting laws,which made-(forced) greek people to leave the islands and many big pieces of land became turkish property with the excuse of confiscation.Pretty much the same happened to the Turkish coast which once was Greek.Greek people who tried to visit these lands to see the houses of their ancestors,in some cases found nothing or roads or other buildings.Very few found their homes which were inhabited by Turkish people with clear "titles" of property...At least some of them were pleased to show Greek people the houses of their grandparents.
Give it a try if you have the time,not so much in the aspect of claiming the property as of discovering hidden pieces of your roots.

Sorry for my english if they re not so good,hope i ve helped you a little.