Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

Weekend Tour of Arizona's best roads

Old 08-11-2016, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weekend Tour of Arizona's best roads

I'm gonna have an opportunity to have a nice weekend to drive, and was looking to see what's out there in Arizona. The interwebz keeps telling me to do the Alpine drive, any other suggestions? Would love to find some awesome roads more in the western half of the state.

So, help a stooker out by sharing your favorite roads!
Old 08-11-2016, 01:43 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

There is a sticky thread with suggested drives. I am slowly working my way through the suggestions.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/922...#entry23786738
Old 08-11-2016, 03:25 PM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I just ran this route this past Tuesday. It's a nice drive.

Old 08-11-2016, 05:38 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Alpine is worth the drive. 89A from Yarnell to Jerome is also good. I can't think of anything on the west side of the state though.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:55 PM

Thanks for the feedback! Missed the sticky....

I'm definitely leaning towards actually doing the Alpine drive, but wow its at the other end of the fricken' state. If I did it, should I plan on sleeping near the start of the drive the night before and waking up early for a full day up and down drive?

And so in the western half of the state, the only real good drives are around the Phoenix area?
Old 08-12-2016, 06:29 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

There's not too much in the way of scenic drives west of the route that Fokker posted. The run down the Colorado River isn't bad, but it's not very challenging and it's pretty flat.

Fokker's run is a good day's drive. Otherwise, that sticky is your best bet for a short visit.

You can also check out motorcycle drive web sites, like RoadRUNNER.com for other suggested drives in Arizona.

Yet it all depends on your perspective. I took a first time to AZ visitor from Germany on I-10 from Phoenix to Tucson and she thought that was scenic. it was her first time seeing wide open desert. I-17 from Phoenix to Flagstaff is a scenic route while maintaining wide sweeps and some elevation changes. It takes your from the low desert to alpine forests, yet it will not give you the twisties like the other roads will.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:37 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

It depends where you leave from and exact route. I do Alpine in one day from Tucson, usually takes about 12 hours with 3 or 4 stops for gas and lunch. I prefer to run 191 north (uphill is easier on the brakes) from Clifton to Alpine and then we loop over into New Mexico on 180. You could also keep going north at Alpine to Eager and Show Low back to Globe. 191 is really intense, personally I only want to run it one direction but you could run it both directions and retrace your steps. Co-driver or at least a passenger is recommended.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:54 AM

Thanks all for the feedback. I was wondering about the downhill aspect, not a big fan of the idea.

So...

191 N from Alpine into Eagar
260 W to Show Low
60 S to Globe

that ends near the Superstition Mountains, so perfect route!

Suggestions on other scenic places to take pics?
Old 08-12-2016, 09:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would break the trip up if you're going to do Hwy 191. You might stay here:

http://www.hannaganmeadow.com/

I've not stayed myself, but I did stop once to check it out and it's really quiet there.

Another option is to stay at the Tal-Wi-Wi lodge, which I have stayed at before, and is decent for that area.

http://www.talwiwi.com/

I've done 191 five times, all south to north. It's 90 minutes of epic roadway, the best you can find anywhere. If you're doing one drive while you are here, that's the one. Watch for motorcycles, they tend to get crazy. Had one over the lane line in mid-corner one time, that was scary.

Darbi's Cafe in Pinetop-Lakeside is an awesome breakfast stop.

The 260 is very scenic and lots of great picture opportunities.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:32 AM

Wow, the internet CAN be friendly!!!

Really appreciate everyone's comments. Looks like I'll try and crash in Tucson tonight, wake up early and do the 191, see the Superstition Mtns, crash in Phoenix and then give Fokker's suggestion a try on Sunday.

If anyone sees a GPW AP2 with California plates... say hi!

Quick Reply: Weekend Tour of Arizona's best roads