Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Blix's AP1

Old 02-07-2014, 03:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Fresh Assembled, and after all calculations she came down to about 9.58:1 compression ratio if Troy and I calculated right. So a little lower than I had thought, but it will turn out to be a good thing later on.

Taped up and ready for paint.

Intake with home made EGR delete plate. Prepped for paint.

Fresh paint!

Found one of my old stencils in my garage, thought it fit the part.

Ready to drop in.

Engine, tranny, and driveshaft back in.

Charger and fluids in... started on first crank! I did it!

Old 02-15-2014, 07:13 AM

Made it to Toma's and switched to the 16 psi pulley while I waited for my appointment.

Made 377 RWHP and 247 TQ, not bad but again I was shooting for 400+.

Out at my best friends house.

So clean!

Millwoods wednesday night car show.... always loved 510's. Had to stop and check it out.

Playing around at the muttart, by the way all these pics are just off my phone.... I'll post some nice pics in another post.

Bought my girl some yoga pants...
Old 02-15-2014, 07:22 AM

Okay time to hit play and stop fast forwarding through this.... we are just about up to date. I had a great year enjoying the car and had a buddy did a nice photoshoot that I'll share as soon as I figure out how to get into my flickr account. Maybe submit one of those for the calender too. Anyways I had a pretty busy summer with work and on the road for paintball. I only made it to the drag strip one night to see what she could do. My fastest time was a 12.92 @117mph launchin like a wuss. My first run ever was a 13.21 down a quarter mile track. Hoping to get into time attacks and auto x next year.
So this is the car up on jacks on the start of day 1 of work this winter.

Fenders off, charger out, pretty much the end of day one. The hoods and headlights are off now.

Supercharger packed up and ready to ship out.

And this box showed up.... what do we have here?

Ended up on the hunt for a turbo, and after about a week of communication with corymaurer, who ended up selling his kit locally on me. I ended up seeing joeyballs parting his car out and jump on that quick. (PFab Twinscroll manifold, GT35R .82, tial 38mm wastegates, HKS bov) Aiming for 400 whp street tune, and a 500whp track tune til I get used to things again.

End of day 2, Test fit turbo, going to need to make a little room for the downpipe. Engine tranny drive shaft out. Amazing how much faster this goes the second time you do this lol.

Engine out and on the stand... turbo sitting there is good motivation to light a fire under my ass. I have much to do!

That pretty much brings you up to date to where I'm at.
Up next:
Shave engine (fill old wire harness holes in fire wall, remove unused brackets, fill unused holes, cut/remove ugly crossmember and reweld circular bar in)
Bondo, sand, and paint engine bay satin black.
Reinstall engine
Clean up wiring a bit more
Install millspec connector in firewall, and hide engine harness entry
Fab and install oil/coolant catch can
Retune
Drive the shit out of
Old 02-15-2014, 07:28 AM

Forgot to include a pic of a couple of boxes of new goodies that came in the mail last time I had off:
Berk 3" header back single exhaust. (I'm gonna miss the T1R but the turbo called for a little more breathing room, and I kind of like the look of a single better anyways)
Skunk 2 magnetic tranny/oil pan plugs
Mishimoto radiator (gonna keep the stock fans, didn't want all that chrome in my engine bay) IF ANYONE DOES OR KNOWS someone in the city that Anodizes Rads and Intercoolers, send me a PM.
Mishimoto fan switch
Mishimoto thermostat
Mishimoto rad hoses
Fluid damper crank pulley

Figured I was getting past the point for the stock radiator to keep up. So decided to do everything I could to keep coolant temps down. Pretty excited to hear the exhaust as well, although if I don't find a shop that will weld me up a stainless connector from my downpipe to the exhaust. I guess there's no reason to bolt it on... but I don't really want to have to wear ear plugs all the time. If anyone knows a local muffler shop that will weld stainless, please give me some insight.

Blix
Old 02-15-2014, 07:32 AM

And finally to catch this thread back up to date with me and the other one. A little update of the progress I made in the garage today.

Crossmember and front supension dropped. Tabs for hood prop, and fuse box removed. Brake lines, ABS and master cylinder off. Waiting on the roomy to get home help me lift off the hard top. So I can remove the interior, brake booster, clutch cylinder, and heater core. That should free me up to start welding and grinding on my next turn around.

White circles = FILL, X's = leave alone, still have to figure out what I'm going to do with the crossmember. Cap it? Round bar? Square tube? I like the look of a roundbar, but it's going to have to hide some wiring on the underside. I have a few ideas, but I don't want to jeopordize any rigidity of the car. So I'll talk to some of my "metal" head friends and choose the one that keeps the car just as stiff and looks come in a close second.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:07 PM

I haven't updated this in a while so I have a few days of progress to share from my last week off that I was home.

First day I got all the templates made up close enough to transfer to metal. Second day I went skiing so not really any progress was made besides thinking up a bulk head connector to make the wiring harness look a little better going through the firewall. No more ugly rubber grommet, I'll post pics when I start fabbing that up.

Got the dash, heater core, and blower assembly out on the third day.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/103284941@N02/12982769295/Found this lovely mess of wiring from a previous owner. All of this for a mickey mouse alarm. So I removed it and cleaned up a bunch of the wiring under the dash.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/103284941@N02/12982903453/Everything but the rear brakes, and fuel lines are out of the engine bay.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/103284941@N02/12982770555/Just another update from over the weekend. Didn't end up making as much progress as I wanted to on welding, but I'm doing alright for having zero experience welding. Luckily I have some good friends that are good coaches.

melting the first piece in... nothing you guys haven't seen before but the difference is that this car will be tracked.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/103284941@N02/13116038994/Half assed ground smooth. I gotta get the dremel out to do the rest of the areas.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/103284941@N02/13116039504/The rest of the pieces cut out, and test fitted. Taking a page from Corey/Bootzin's masterpieces.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/103284941@N02/13116038484/
Got another 2 weeks away from the car while I'm out of town working. So I probably won't make much progress beside ordering more goodies .
Old 03-12-2014, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great work so far! I'll be keeping an eye on this build!
Old 03-12-2014, 08:22 PM
Community Organizer

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

looking good blix!
Old 03-14-2014, 08:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dang, entertaining build thread!
Old 03-14-2014, 09:01 PM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow talk about progression since purchasing the car. Loving the attention to detail and meticulously documenting all of the work that you have accomplished. Really looking forward to seeing the new bay once your done with the fab work and paint. for that twinscroll set up, looking forward for new dyno results on future updates.

Quick Reply: Blix's AP1