Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

CRS_ONE long term GPW build.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CRS_ONE long term GPW build.

I've been around a few years, and have owned the car since June 5th of 2012. Always wanted an ap1 since high school and my color combo of choice has always been GPW with red/black interior. I got this car for the kind of deal you just have no choice but to buy, granted I was wanting to buy one anyway.

this was the day I picked it up. it was dirty misfiring, had 197k miles, and the front bumper had been destroyed by a trailer hitch that someone back into it, but it was one of the happier days I can remember.

the car was completely stock down to the factory shift knob, and based on the makeup bag found under the driver seat it was probably woman owned.

[[

a few weeks later i picked up an oem bumper with a Js half bumper which i wasnt too thrilled with because the car was stock otherwise and it looked ridiculous, but it was MUCH better than the original bumper. the best part was the 205 snow tires on the original ap1 wheels. haha

Im generally absolutely against this kind of thing, not for any other reason than i think its super cheesy, but we were doing a shoot and my car was right there. haha.

that first summer was super fun, and I was really impressed with the car as stock, but being an enthusiast I couldnt leave it alone. I took these few photos before i put the car away for winter, and I just knew parts would start to roll in.

Flickr

traded the Js half bumper for an ASM rep that was freshly painted gpw. and took the headlights out and sanded the lenses and polished the crap out of them. also picked up a k&n fipk because everyone raved about it.

then i further ripped the car apart, and sourced a set of 17x8.5 and 17x7.5 +40 volk te37s, and threw them on. immediately wasnt thrilled with the front wheel width, and searched until i found another matching set. I then threw the 4 rears from those sets together so i could run 17x8.5 +40 with 255 squared.

then started the rush to get everything finished for the spring, and I dropped off the four rear wheels to be powdercoated.

soon after the wheels came back and the 255/40 dunlop z2s arrived.

KWV3 was what i decided to go with after reading a ton, and agonizing over what to go with for far too long, so soon after these arrived.

[

got the car very roughly thrown together. was happy with the front fitment, but realized lots of work would need to be done for it to actually fit.

got the fenders rolled, but not before completely destroying both fender lips on the front.

right after having the fenders rolled and setting actual ride height, i went and got a good alignment.

and finally after all that, i got ti enjoy the car a bit on late nights in Chicago.

this was the day i dropped the car off to have the fenders fixed and resprayed. you can see how bad they were from before the fenders were rolled.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:26 PM

got the car back from paint two days before my first track event in the car. haha

it was amazing to get the car out on the track after wanting to do it for years. I also have an older accord build that was to be finished and used on track once or twice, but it didnt happen until this day.

didnt go to a ton of shows or meets last summer but had a blast all the same just driving the car a ton, doing track days, and racking up 13k miles from may to september.

Ive always been a wheel nerd of sorts, and when the opportunity to pick up a set of one of my favorite volks in excellent sizing came along i had to jump at it. they are 17x9.5 and 17x8.5 +40

then came my least favorite day of the year when i put the car away for winter. next to it is a pos parts car i picked up for next to nothing for parts for my daily e36.

also had to move some of my 4 lug wheel collection.

winter sucked, and so did my slammed daily e36. lol

dont really remember how but i bought these apr gt3 mirrors that were BEAT one night online haha.

after a super fun summer i decided that it was time to throw a fresh long block in the car because i like to track the car, and the original motor had 219k miles on it.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:54 PM

started pulling out the original motor.

out it came in not too much grief.

got the new motor mounted, and was kinda having a hard time leaving the bay mostly as is, because ive done custom engine bays before, and knew the can of worms id be opening if i "just painted the bay" I will probably come back one day and redo everything, but for now its ok.

as i took the motor out the motor mounts fell apart in my hands. i did a ton of research and everyone seemed super negative, but i decided to take a risk on the innovative billet 75a insert mounts, and actually love them. they only vibrate a tiny bit more than stock but it makes everything feel so much more solid.

turned the key, and the car started instantly, as if i never changed anything at all. very pleased with myself after this swap.

decided I wanted to do something different with my se37s, and couldnt let go of the bright volk red idea, so this happened.

[

this time of year is always fun getting buddies projects together for the summer season.

soon enough it was time for the first track event of the year.

Gridlife was such a fun event!

[/url]

picked up one of my two valve covers from powder coat.

the mad dash to finish up cars for import alliance is pretty crazy every year. I actually refinished those beat ass mirrors i bought, and got myself a straight pipe. I also mounted my te37s, because i think they are a bit more of a timeless look than the other wheels.

then we took off for import alliance and about 50 miles into the trip, my buddies e21 had electrical problems(go figure) and unfortunately had to be towed back home.

Import Alliance was so much fun as always.

the day after IA i found a great deal on a replica mugen hard top, and a buddy club spec 2, and immediately went and picked the top up, and am picking the exhaust up this week.

which brings us up to date. shot this photo a few nights ago, and am very happy with the hard top in black. also have buddy club super low rails and it will have recaro pole positions shortly.

future plans are kind of all over the place. a custom rollbar, a wing on a seperate trunk lid for track use, and spoon calipers hopefully all this coming winter.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:23 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Freakin sweet dude. I like your style.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread, this.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Photography skills and a great looking GPW.. Will be checking back regularly. Thanks for sharing
Old 07-27-2014, 09:16 AM

thanks dudes!
Old 07-27-2014, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome build so far! Car looks great!!!
Old 07-27-2014, 02:16 PM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

Love your taste in wheels, man. The photography makes the thread worth following, too. Do you have a flickr?
Old 07-27-2014, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great Chris

Quick Reply: CRS_ONE long term GPW build.