Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Matt's 2001 Silverstone AP1 Journal

Old 10-12-2016, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by profit_child
Much better on Rega's.
Thanks tbh I really loved my Blitz. I'm all for doing something different and not seen commonly and I feel like those wheels did it for me.
But considering I've always wanted regas I decided to go for them.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:16 PM

Been pretty busy at work because it's our peak season.
Haven't had time to really get any legit pictures yet, hoping to have a photoshoot with my buddy next week, or even this weekend while I'm in New Hampshire for Final Bout.

Matt's 2001 Silverstone AP1 Journal-ifei8gf.jpg
Old 11-09-2016, 03:16 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

OP - Lovely ap1. I have a basically stock 02 Sebring Silver.

Tell me - what is your experience with the Bayson front lip? I am having my front bumper replaced in a couple of weeks and I am considering whether to have body shop install a Bayson lip at the same time v. leave it alone with no lip.

The forum has somewhat mixed comments on that lip. Does the lip play a functional role in your opinion or is it primarily a cosmetics decision. Is yours holding up? Does it fit well? I see you refer to it as a temporary thing.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Beautiful AP1! Out of all the wheels you had, the Blitz were defiantly my fav. I do like the new setup to, but the polished on silver just looked amazing
Old 11-10-2016, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by rpg51
OP - Lovely ap1. I have a basically stock 02 Sebring Silver.

Tell me - what is your experience with the Bayson front lip? I am having my front bumper replaced in a couple of weeks and I am considering whether to have body shop install a Bayson lip at the same time v. leave it alone with no lip.

The forum has somewhat mixed comments on that lip. Does the lip play a functional role in your opinion or is it primarily a cosmetics decision. Is yours holding up? Does it fit well? I see you refer to it as a temporary thing.
Yes it is temporary. My authentic OEM is cracked in 3 places and I did not want to risk the entire thing falling apart while I was down at H2Oi. The car is getting a complete makeover and I plan on either getting a completely new bumper or getting a Veilside lip meant for the AP1.
The lip is purely cosmetic and as far as I know there is really no functional role that these lips play. Maybe there is, I don't know anything of it. I've had my car with a lip the entirety of my ownership and once I took the original one off I could not stand how the car looked without a lip on.

It's held up well so far, the lip has been smashed quite a bit a few times, many of which is getting in and out of my garage at home which has an absolutely atrocious entry.
As far as fitment goes, there's a huge gap on the right side of the lip and is now sagging. The hardware provided by the vendor does NOT fit at all and the lip is actually zip tied on. The total cost of the lip is about $100 including the paint (I painted it myself)

Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by herap1
Beautiful AP1! Out of all the wheels you had, the Blitz were defiantly my fav. I do like the new setup to, but the polished on silver just looked amazing
Thank you! I was actually going to have the Blitz refinished, but then the Regas popped up for a price I could not say no to so I had to get rid of them.
A lot of people did not think the wheels matched the car well, but I loved how they looked.

Last edited by matt.the.lee; 11-10-2016 at 06:26 AM.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:45 AM

Nothing's changed on the car, slowly getting a parts list together, got a quote from the body shop recently so gotta start looking for a new lip, new rear bumper, etc.

Old 12-31-2016, 01:12 PM

Holy hell an update for once.
First, if you're reading this Happy New Year's Eve or Happy New Year. Hope y'all have a fantastic 2017 ahead of you.

This morning I woke up and started the car since it hasn't been done so in almost two months. I didn't have anything planned until at nighttime when it was time for fiestas so I figured I should go ahead and remove my interior.
This is all in good reason as I've stated in post #3 I've decided to keep the car after last year and turn it into something I've always envisioned, and that's to make my AP1 a daily/track/street car. Interior was on my first to-do list to get the car started in preparation for the roll bar I plan on installing. I will be going with the RSG roll bar, not sure if I want single or diagonal bars.
Removing my interior a second time was hell of a lot easier than doing it my first time when I redid the soft top 3 years ago. It actually took less than 2 hours to do today. I left the bulkhead in for now as I will need the seatbelt to take the car in for emissions before April to renew its registration.

Matt's 2001 Silverstone AP1 Journal-iriyd2h.jpg

At the same time I decided to gut the trunk and get rid of the god awful sound system the previous owner had set up. I've had the car for 3 years now and never understood why the subwoofer never worked. Turned out the wires were not plugged in (electrical is not my strong suit clearly) and had a useless sub in my trunk since the day I picked up the car. It's out now, but I have to figure out what to do with all the nonsense wires that was hooked up to the amplifiers.

(hurry potato quality phone pictures)
Matt's 2001 Silverstone AP1 Journal-atjlaq2.jpg

So that's as far as I've gotten to it today. I've been feeling under the weather and I didn't want to overdo it, also leaving for Japan/Korea next week so had to spend some time to pack. And by pack I mean nap.