Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Wait that isn't an F20c

Old 09-11-2012, 06:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ The internet requires it.

Edit: God damnit every time I do a post referencing a post above it starts a new page!
Old 09-11-2012, 06:49 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

wow, it seems like you know your stuff REALLY well. I cant stand electronics, one time i had to wire a simple plug and play HID kit into one of my cars (now back to stock halogens, what a POS) and I was sweating the entire time thinking I was going to zap myself to death. I wish I knew a whole ton more about it though cant wait to see some more pics and vids of its completion.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i must say, you are like the "electrically-skilled" version of me. I started at a young age with mechanical engineering and have had some respectable success. but you are at least ten years ahead of me and on the current world track of electronics. wish i could have worked with you in high school.

keep up the good work man. this kind of knowledge and ability will carry you very very far.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this kid is going to pretty much pick who he gets to intern with instead of sweating it out in college and taking the first offer. damn bright future ahead of you thinmint.... and its an interesting build? hell sign me up.

refreshing thread to have in the gallery over all the monotonous form vs. function threads that have been plaguing this forum lately.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:02 PM

Thanks guys!!!

Well the motors have been acting well through out their break in on the bench. I ended up reversing the fields before I put them in the car because the differential turns in the clockwise direction, but I goofed and now when power is applied to the motors it goes the opposite direction than necessary.
In order to fix it I just need to reverse the fields again by adjusting the timing via the commutator end of the motor.

The big news today was the arrival of my drive shaft !!
Came home from school and it was sitting for me at the door, a nice reward.

Rather familiar pictures.... Skeptical Doge

Then I installed it into the car, perfect fitment this time!

Edit: Does anyone know what those plugs are for? I imagine the vapor box, but I took it off such a long time ago...
I tightened up all the bolts, double checked everything, and applied power to the motors via the cars 12v battery...
The wheels spin!!!

I have a really dumb 2 second clip that I took of the wheel spinning, let me see if I can upload it...
NVM screw it its just a video of a wheel spinning
Old 09-13-2012, 02:43 PM

this thread is awesome!
Old 09-13-2012, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can we be friends?
Old 09-13-2012, 03:50 PM

Looks great! From an engineer who works in the Battery Management business, in a company that has >80% market share of battery management/charger space, I have great respect for anyone who learns to do all this on their own. We support the Tesla Roadster, and almost every handheld/mobile electronic in the market today.

Great work so far and can't wait to see how this all pans out. What kind of charging system will you be using with the Orion? Will you be using a SAE J1772 adapter to recharge in and out of the house? I don't remember off the top of my head, but we may actually build the gauge and management chip in the Orion.

Good luck to you man! Seems like you've got a hell of a plan put together. Hope it all goes smooth and be careful with those cells! I have punctured one too many of those things and it's definitely not fun...
Old 09-13-2012, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by omarisramo
can we be friends?
I would be honored.

I noticed that this thread is lacking an introduction, so I will try to make one really quick.

Good afternoon my fine S2000 enthusiasts.
My name is Juan Ehringer and I chose to take apart a sports car to make a cooler sports car.

I picked the car up two summers ago, summer of 2011.
I bought it from some weird guy for $6k, running in okay shape. Ripped top, headlights didnt work, paint doesn't really match.

I love it regardless

And this is my almost 1.5 years ago.

I made sure to take some pictures before I began working on it.

And then once I had decided 100% to go electric, I began tearing it apart...

My baby 1.5 car garage

Be gone devil tranmission!

Getting there for sure...

Nice ~

Old 09-13-2012, 04:12 PM

After the engine bay was empty, I started ordering stuff.

On my birthday 16th birthday (amazing timing), I received my beautiful controller interface.

It was rather exciting, so I continued finding out what else I needed to get my car rolling!

A couple of weeks later, me and my father went down to Tampa to pick up my electric motors. Two 9" brushed Dc motors.

Fresh out of the box!

Mocking them up...

I then made my first version of the motor mounts...
It was made out of 1/8" aluminum and 1/4" aluminum arms. Basically I ended up tossing it when my engineering friends told me I was dumb and that it would snap in half with all the power I would be pushing. I will never know, but it probably would have flexed and broke.

Pretty nice...

Quick Reply: Wait that isn't an F20c