Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2013 Ninja 300

Old 10-06-2012, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first bike was a ninja 250, then I got a ninja 650r, rode that around for a few years, but if you ask me what bike I liked more I would have to say the 250. It was alot better in the corners, and alot lighter. With all of the traffic, I could never get the 650r going fast enough to feel the difference. That new 300 ninja looks great.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by vader1
Originally Posted by JPD36' timestamp='1348804479' post='22043562
If it's your first bike, don't do it.

I recommend buying a cheapish 08+ Ninja 250, learning on it and selling it for just about what you paid for it a few months later.... Then you could decide if you want a new Ninja 300 or pay about the same price for a newer 600 supersport (if that's what you like).

Technically it would be my third, although there was a long time in between bikes one and bike two. So I am not really worried about dropping it, although I did bump into my current one with the mower and tip it over in the garage.

I only have about 3000 miles total experience, and am not a crazy rider, but I might be tempted to wind out 600's and that is probably a bad idea. I'd probably unintentionally wheelie myself right off the back. A little accelration is fun, but super fast does not interest me really. I am 42, and it is more to go for a ride once in a while with friends who don't go fast either. I never go on the interstate, but divided, low traffic highways are fine. When I ride, the point is to find a place with no traffic or as little as possible instead of riding with it, or weaving in and out of it.

I like to ride to work about 6 times a year (20 miles round trip) run some around town errands on roads that are limited access, and a couple days a year take a day and ride some twisties with a buddy or two. It would basically be a once in a while toy, but I don't like cruiser style or Harleys because I like small and light. ABS is a HUGE safety plus and I am at a point in my life where $5700 for a new toy with ABS aint that big of a deal. Twin discs up front would have been nice though.

The wife will probably freak out, but that is a whole nother deal.
sounds like the 300 is the bike for you. Keep us posted on What you end up getting
Old 12-11-2012, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Zoomie
Know yourself. If you are the kind of person that is tempted to make the most of whatever you are riding then stay small. The Honda 250 had surprisingly good fit and finish when I got to see one.

If you are a little older or just tempted in different ways than maybe you could handle a bigger bike that would give you more to grow into. Just remember you've got to pay to play and that the risk and expense of a mistake goes way up with Hp.
Good advice here. Know yourself.

CBR250 is a awesome little bike and Ninja 300 is also a good bike. It is a blast to ride and you can do wonders with it in a track as well.

Having said that, its not a bad thing if you went bigger on the first bike. Some people get all crazy if you say "I am going to get 1000cc bike for my first bike." Some can handle it and some cant.

I went with 1000cc for my first bike and I did fine, but I did take all Basic Rider course, Advance Rider course, and Superbike Rider school...now I am taking Race school like California Race school and etc.

Whatever you get, know that You'll have FUN and that is all that matters.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by vader1
Originally Posted by JPD36' timestamp='1348804479' post='22043562
If it's your first bike, don't do it.

I recommend buying a cheapish 08+ Ninja 250, learning on it and selling it for just about what you paid for it a few months later.... Then you could decide if you want a new Ninja 300 or pay about the same price for a newer 600 supersport (if that's what you like).

Technically it would be my third, although there was a long time in between bikes one and bike two. So I am not really worried about dropping it, although I did bump into my current one with the mower and tip it over in the garage.

I only have about 3000 miles total experience, and am not a crazy rider, but I might be tempted to wind out 600's and that is probably a bad idea. I'd probably unintentionally wheelie myself right off the back. A little accelration is fun, but super fast does not interest me really. I am 42, and it is more to go for a ride once in a while with friends who don't go fast either. I never go on the interstate, but divided, low traffic highways are fine. When I ride, the point is to find a place with no traffic or as little as possible instead of riding with it, or weaving in and out of it.

I like to ride to work about 6 times a year (20 miles round trip) run some around town errands on roads that are limited access, and a couple days a year take a day and ride some twisties with a buddy or two. It would basically be a once in a while toy, but I don't like cruiser style or Harleys because I like small and light. ABS is a HUGE safety plus and I am at a point in my life where $5700 for a new toy with ABS aint that big of a deal. Twin discs up front would have been nice though.

The wife will probably freak out, but that is a whole nother deal.

It be hard to "unintentionally" wheelie with 600s. You would really have to try to do that.

If the $$$ that is a factor, get the smaller bike. If not, I highly recommend 600s. You are little bit older than me and sound very mature. I would be more worried if you were 21 and saying something like, "how fast can I go with 600s?"

From my experience, people who say you are crazy for riding a 600 or 1000 (generally but not all) for your first bike, didnt even take the basic Safety course!!! Very hypocrite IMO.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:05 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

People who say "go ahead and get a 600" must be the same people who would say "go ahead and get a Corvette" to those who are interested in a Miata (or S2000 for that matter).
Old 12-12-2012, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by ZDan
People who say "go ahead and get a 600" must be the same people who would say "go ahead and get a Corvette" to those who are interested in a Miata (or S2000 for that matter).
Better comparsion would Miata to S2000 than Corvette to Miata.

Having said that, I thought I read he was "thinking" about getting the 600 but I read it wrong.

Vader1, Go with what you want. 250/300 is great and much fun...also very cheap, great on gas.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Young_R
Better comparsion would Miata to S2000 than Corvette to Miata.
The performance and price gap between the Ninja 300 and any 600 sportbike is definitely more like Miata vs. Corvette than Miata vs. S2000!

Vader1, Go with what you want. 250/300 is great and much fun...also very cheap, great on gas.
Yup!
Old 12-12-2012, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always recommend to go with a used beatdown 600cc. It would really suck to dump a brand new bike and have to pay an expensive repair bill. With a trash bike, your heart won't hurt as much if you dump it. Also, the 250/300cc bikes depreciate a lot quicker than the other classes of bikes. I can almost guarantee that the 300cc will grow old within a month and it might be pretty hard to get most of your money back. Either way, be safe man. Wear your gear... Don't be a squid
Old 12-13-2012, 03:11 AM

The 250s are doing pretty well, try to find one a few years old and see what people are asking. Depreciation seems to me to be similar to other sportbikes, perhaps a bit better even.

But anyway, if they *do* depreciate quicker, *my* recommendation would be for a used Ninja 250...

A 300 should not "get old" unless all you do is straight-line acceleration runs or have the need to stand it on its tail regularly. Not everybody rides like that, I practically never do on the street. Driven normally, even reasonable spirited riding on curvy backroads, a 250 or 300 Ninja shouldn't "get old".

That said, hardcore race-replica sportbikes *do* get old to a lot of people that buy them, and very quickly. Ergos that are ideal for the track SUCK on the street. 600cc sportbikes are fantistic track bikes, but I never recommend them as street bikes. They are racks as far as normal real-world riding goes, for most people anyway.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:05 AM

Sorry for two basically similar replies, but I can't stand to see all the "just get a used 600" advice that *always* crops up in these threads.

Originally Posted by flyins2000
I always recommend to go with a used beatdown 600cc. It would really suck to dump a brand new bike and have to pay an expensive repair bill. With a trash bike, your heart won't hurt as much if you dump it.
A trashed 600 could have problems that aren't cheap to fix as well. And not *everybody* drops bikes.

In any case, all the folks who recommend used 600s aren't doing any favors to new motorcyclists. Again, those bikes are fantastic doing what they're designed for: going fast at the track. They are not nearly as enjoyable for 99th %ile street riding, even including spirited backroads at 7/10ths.

I *NEVER* recommend hardcore sportbikes to new riders, unless they specifically want a track-dedicated bike.

Also, the 250/300cc bikes depreciate a lot quicker than the other classes of bikes.
Quick search on 2010-2011 ZX6Rs and 250 Ninjas within 150 miles of my zip yielded:
Four used 2010 Ninja 250s at $3599, $3490, $3690, and $3599, average asking price $3595. That's 90% of the $3999 retail price, 2 1/2 years down the road.
Two used 2011 ZX6Rs at $8499 and $8799, average $8649, 81% of the $10,699 retail price, 1 1/2 years down the road.

In my neck of the woods, the 250s depreciate at a MUCH lower rate than the 600s.

I can almost guarantee that the 300cc will grow old within a month and it might be pretty hard to get most of your money back.
See above regarding depreciation. And in any case, even with similar or worse depreciation, you'd lose less actual money on the 250. AND, with the better real-world ergos of the 250, you're going to be MUCH less likely to want to get rid of it anyway.

The bike should be about as quick in the 1/4 as an S2000, low 14s. How on EARTH has it not "grown old" for you?!

FWIW, my FD is about 30mph faster in the 1/4 than my S, yet driving the S has not "gotten old" nor have I "outgrown" it.

Recommending a hardcore repliracer to a new rider is doing him a tremendous disservice IMHO. They're just not fun to ride in the real world. I'd much rather have a Ninja 300 for my daily. Double the fuel mileage, too!

Quick Reply: 2013 Ninja 300