California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Idle issue

Old 08-04-2016, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle issue

Hey guys and gals. I'm having an idle issue with my 2000 s2000. When I come to a stop or even when just reving in neutral and I let the rpm come back to idle, the rpm gets very low as if it's about to stall. It has stalled on me a couple of times when coming to a stop.

I've cleaned the IAC valve/actuator a couple of times. Check engine light does not come on and I can restart right away. Do not see any vacuum leaks in the system either. Not sure if the IAC is just going bad or what not. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-04-2016, 09:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My idle issue was fixed with that MAP sensor or mass airflow sensor thingy. I forget the name. It's the think people "wack".
Old 08-06-2016, 04:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hate to say it but you might be due for some coil packs. Unlike most cars with spark plug wires you won't get a code right away with coil packs. I changed my map sensor, did the tap method with the screwdriver and it always seemed to "solve itself" until eventually I looked into coil pack symptoms and found that the issue was just that all along. Not sure what kind of mileage you have on your car but I've read that they can go anywhere from 40k to 120k varying between ap1 and ap2's. Either way I hope you find out what the problem is, this is irritating I know.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:07 AM

Thanks for the info guys. It's a 2000 model and just hit 100k. I cleaned my iIAC valve, did the whack method and cleaned the port for the map sensor. It seemed like it worked for a bit. Didn't drobt the car for about 3 weeks and drove it last Friday. Car drove fine for about 2 miles then when I came to a light, car stalled. I didn't even realize that it had stalled. Restart and after coming to another stop light, it stalled again. Not sure what the problem is.

Might just have to get a new map sensor and try to swap out the coil packs from a friend's car. Thanks again.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Day_One
Car drove fine for about 2 miles then when I came to a light, car stalled. I didn't even realize that it had stalled. Restart and after coming to another stop light, it stalled again. Not sure what the problem is.
MAP sensor, IAC, and coilpacks are all likely causes. This might not solve your problem, but it's free and fairly easy to do, so maybe give it a try...

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/index.php...&f=22&t=549159
Old 09-01-2016, 01:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would replace with a new maf first... when your coilpack is on its way out or dying... you would hear and feel the misfire on that cylinder.. but your idle should go back up almost like a surge.

is this in open loop or close loop?
Old 09-02-2016, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by ics2ks
Originally Posted by Day_One' timestamp='1472717223' post='24052544
Car drove fine for about 2 miles then when I came to a light, car stalled. I didn't even realize that it had stalled. Restart and after coming to another stop light, it stalled again. Not sure what the problem is.
MAP sensor, IAC, and coilpacks are all likely causes. This might not solve your problem, but it's free and fairly easy to do, so maybe give it a try...

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/index.php...&f=22&t=549159
I have tried resetting the ecu by clearing the codes with the scan tool my friend had. There were no codes by the way. After I cleaned the IAC valve, that's when I reset it. I don't feel a misfire or any rough idle either. I think I'll order a map sensor from Honda first and see if that helps. Smog coming up soon so need to get it done soon. Thanks for the input everyone. Appreciate the community.

@tbkonwso
Not sure what you mean by close loop but if it means if the car is fully warmed up or not, then my car was fully warmed up with the fan coming on. Let it warm up at idle for about 15-20 mins before I drove. Only drive the car maybe once every blue moon and probably about 200 miles each time.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:24 PM

I've had the same issue with my 2000 AP1 since I bought it (in 2005 with 25K, it now has 67K). I hear you, its super annoying but while my idle sometimes dips when I release the throttle or after a rev, the car has never died, thankfully.

I've scoured the forums for a solution and have tried the MAP whack, a thorough IACV cleaning, throttle body cleaning, throttle bottle gasket cleaning, each/all followed by an ECU reset and none of that worked. I then tried replacing the MAP sensor, IACV and throttle gasket with the new OEM parts (the IACV has a newer version and possibly the MAP sensor, I dont remember right now) but none of that worked either.

After all that I basically gave up and have decided to live with it. Per the forums, everything I've tried has had varying levels of success for different people, so there isn't a clear cut solution.

However, this is the first I've heard of the coil packs possibly being the cause. Interesting hypothesis.

Just wanted to give you my experiences and two cents. If/when you try swapping your coil packs I would greatly appreciate if you responded to this thread with your experiences.

Good luck.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:24 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I actually went thr0ugh two MAP sensors in a week and the second one worked. Not sure why but that's my story.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:45 PM

Well, finally got to replacing the map sensor and reset idle. Good for 2 days and then it happened again!!! Same thing. Come to a stop, vehicle stalls. Cannot hold idle after that even after cycling key a couple of times. Guess the next step would be is to replace the IAC valve and relearn idle. Hope it works or else it'll be a waste of $145 for a new IAC.

also, haven't heard about the coil packs causing a stalled issue but will look into that as well. Thanks for all the replies.

Quick Reply: Idle issue