Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2016 m3

Old 01-11-2017, 05:23 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by white98ls
Congrats, glad you like it. Sounds like 6MT? Couldn't tell for sure. I haven't driven an F80 yet but would love to sometime soon.

I'm in your area and got a previous-gen (E90) M3 w/Comp Pkg in August, and it's my only car besides my wife's C350 (sold my S2k to get it, and owned an E39 M5 from 2009-15). Absolutely fantastic cars, these M3s. They just do so much so well. I bet yours is even more beastly than usual with the cooler weather we've had lately.

Yours in YMB w/carbon roof looks absolutely awesome - love the extra oomph BMW gave the fenders for your generation for the sedan! Have you say the downsizing strategy certainly works in this case with regards to gas mileage - I'm way behind you at 15-16mpg in a ~50/50 mix of city/highway, and I don't drive that aggressively most of time. On the only long highway trip I've taken, it managed like 19-20mpg. Absolutely pathetic!

BTW, are you measuring MPG using the trip computer or the miles/gallons math at fill-up? I've found my trip computer is 10% optimistic, very consistently. In my old M5 there was actually a way to correct for this in the computer, but not so for this car.
Originally Posted by ealand0001
14.8 mpg by trip computer in my M5 in Bay Area traffic (commute from peninsula into the financial district in SF). Are you saying that is 10% high? Shit, I got a lead foot.
It's 7% IIRC and can be coded out IIRC.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:18 PM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Dude...such a sick car... only m3 id ever consider buying and its a straight beast
Old 01-11-2017, 09:32 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I dunno - reset your trip computer the next time you fill up, then the following time you get gas, divide the miles by the gallons. Do it a few times and you’ll know the answer.

If it’s a V10 M5 that’s not even that bad! You basically have what I do plus another two cylinders pushing 400 more pounds.
nah, it's the v8 with the snails.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:00 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ealand0001
nah, it's the v8 with the snails.
Oh, well then that's bad haha. Well, you probably drive a lot of stop and go though, no?
Originally Posted by freq
It's 7% IIRC and can be coded out IIRC.
Hmm, mine is exactly 10% every time. Makes it pretty easy to calculate the "real" mpg.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:31 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by FearlessFife
Appreciate you sharing. I really want a M2 over a M3. The extra power of the M3 would be great, but I think the M2 would be more appropriate for my crap driving skills and budget.
I am in your boat with an interest in the M2, I just like the looks and the proportions. But if you do have interest in the M2, look seriously at the M240i if you are not tracking it. The performance is really close, the price is cheaper and the gas mileage is much better. Not quite the same car, but pretty close and the 240i is supposed to be quicker down low (around town).

When my Cayman is paid off, I'd like to keep that as the weekend toy, the 3 series for snow and long trips, and look for a lightly used 240i as a daily. But I would take an M2 as well if prices were similar for certified cars.
The following users liked this post:
FearlessFife (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 08:40 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
I am in your boat with an interest in the M2, I just like the looks and the proportions. But if you do have interest in the M2, look seriously at the M240i if you are not tracking it. The performance is really close, the price is cheaper and the gas mileage is much better. Not quite the same car, but pretty close and the 240i is supposed to be quicker down low (around town).

When my Cayman is paid off, I'd like to keep that as the weekend toy, the 3 series for snow and long trips, and look for a lightly used 240i as a daily. But I would take an M2 as well if prices were similar for certified cars.
The new B58 motor in the M240i is the future. It has air to water cooling and breathes much better up top. The N55 in the current M2 is no slouch though and the car is a blast. For a street car/cruiser I like my M3 better but for track or twisty roads the M2 is great. The M2 is more E46 sized and the M3 is a larger car.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:18 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
The new B58 motor in the M240i is the future. It has air to water cooling and breathes much better up top. The N55 in the current M2 is no slouch though and the car is a blast. For a street car/cruiser I like my M3 better but for track or twisty roads the M2 is great. The M2 is more E46 sized and the M3 is a larger car.
Oh I dig the M2, I think the looks of one in blue are tremendous.

My two main complaints are that you only can get black for the interior color when the 240i has oyster, brown and red. The first two would look great with the aforementioned blue, and that the mileage sounds pretty bad from what I read on Bimmerfest for a daily that gulps premium. I suppose if I can afford to pick one up as the third car I should not gripe but that is my nature, and I like decent mileage.

But I would be more than happy to get a 6spd 240 or M2 to daily. I also want to see what certified 240 converts go for cause I kind of miss that a little after getting rid of the Honda.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:13 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Oh, well then that's bad haha. Well, you probably drive a lot of stop and go though, no?

Hmm, mine is exactly 10% every time. Makes it pretty easy to calculate the "real" mpg.
Yeah, tons of that. My commute is from san mateo area to the financial district (so into the heart of SF, through soma, etc)....so mostly all stop and go. I run the throttle and engine mapping pretty aggressively and turn off the start/stop....none of that helps i'm sure.

Anyway, sorry for hijacking. Cool car! Glad you like it!
Old 01-13-2017, 10:37 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

My experience is that the start stop feature adds about 1-2 mpg, and it's an aquired taste, like the rev match, you either like it or turn it off. The car can be a beast....in the rain I use the stock "milktoast" mode for the engine and don't experience traction issues as long as I am not on it under 40 mph....the car is super stable in the rain. I thought about the upcoming m2 and have seen the utubes and artibles on it...my take is that it is a nice car with perhaps 90% or more of the performance of the m3, but for the cash you need to pay, plus the add on at dealers and the limited availability it did not suit me tastes or needs...and it's only a 2 door, I like the sedan. I commute redwood city to san mateo, i use 280 so there is allot of elevation which cuts the mpg a bit, I think realistically my mpg is within 1 mpg of what the computer tells me, I check it every time anyway for reference. i love the color as well....and my price via the auto broker was about the same as european delivery or better, sticker was 71,000 plus and price was 67,000 plus so i am happy. So far the car is without any incident or issue and they changed the oil for me at 1200 miles.

The best part about the stop/start is that while sitting at a light or in traffic you are not using any more gas than the Prius next to you.My son has a 2008 m3 sedan, and i love it and that's why i had to go with the factory M3 after driving his, the next day I ordered one...my prior experience was with a new 1987 325is.

The magnetic ride is also an acquired taste in that i don't like it....it's too firm on track mode for anything, it's too soft in the bottom setting, so why bother....the factory setup is perfect in my book rarely harsh except on bad roads and super smooth and controlled on regular roads....I also like little things it has over the m2, interior surfaces, lit shift knob, lit seats, door handles, heated steering wheel, superior sport seats and nicer leather ....more hp, A REAL M car in every way, TWO turbos, I like the idea of the m2 but how much can you really save over the m3 when the m3 is so much more....and trying to test drive one, trying to get a dealer to deal....all easier with an M3, plus I love the looks and color of it, I had the other blue on my m sport 335i and enjoyed it as well. This was also built and engineered for a 6 speed manual...I have sure the auto is a good setup, just not for me.

I have read the 335i m sport is not more, now it's a 340i or something else...better engine I suspect, no rev hang, no bounce, more hp, etc...so may the new 335i is a better car than the 2013 I had. The M3 is the natural progression is you want to stay with the 3 series. i don't care if there are faster, more hp, harder endge cars from BMW, I like this package.

Last edited by hirev; 01-13-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:35 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

M3 is a cool car. I'd consider a lease, but only because I'm too chicken to own it out of warranty and I'd also flog the crap out of it, so I wouldn't want it past the lease term anyway.

Okay, can someone explain the magnetic suspension? I wasn't aware that BMW licensed the Delphi/BWI technology for mag-ride?

Last edited by QUIKAG; 01-13-2017 at 11:37 AM.

Quick Reply: 2016 m3