Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Bought a new Cayman GTS

Old 02-22-2015, 03:39 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The Cayman was on Top Gear UK tonight. Unfortunately, it was pitted against the Corvette. Hammond gushed about both but of course, he likes American muscle so he chose the 'vette at the end. The only reason for their comparo was apparently that they were within shot of similar cost. Kinda strange, because I see the Corvette and the Cayman as completely different tools for different tasks.

Anyhoo, made me want to go out and test drive a 'vette. And a Cayman.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:19 PM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Congrats! Great spec on that Cayman, and you picked the best color too...
Old 02-22-2015, 07:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
Here is some ear-candy from the new Cayman S with the Porsche Sports Exhaust: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0233RhIhTg
Good lawd that sounds bloody awesome! Congrats!
Old 02-22-2015, 08:01 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
About six weeks ago I drove a 2008 Cayman S and came away with mixed emotions. Parts of the car I liked, parts I didn't like. The power was great, but the suspension was soft, the shifter sucked, and there were still potential issues with the motor. I had at the time convinced myself my Cayman itched was scratched, but I still wondered what a new one was like. I played with the configurator for weeks and read/watched video reviews of the car and the more I saw and heard, the more I liked.

This Wednesday I went into a local Atlanta dealer and drove a 2015 Cayman S 6MT and came away absolutely flabberghasted with how good it was. Everything about the car felt miles ahead of the 2008 that I drove. Looks, fit and finish, and the overall feel of the inside of the car were vastly better. The interior felt very small and tight - more like you had crawled into a cockpit instead of sitting in a car. This is one sensation I don't remember the 2008 model having and one of the things I love about the S2000. The car only had 13 miles on it, so I couldn't take it to redline, but it felt far more muscular than the 08 I drove under 4000 rpms. The shifter was also massively better than the one in the 2008 - which was comparatively loose and vague (and quite honestly a serious letdown). The new car's shifter's throws were longer than that of the S2000, but the engagement was very mechanical and positive. Its something I would genuinely enjoy shifting gears in - even after owning an S2000.

Handling wise I was stunned at just how solid the car felt. The entire thing felt incredibly rigid, well isolated, and completely stable through corners. Driving the S2000 back to back and it is comparatively loud, harsh, and flexy. The sound that came from the Cayman's Sports exhaust was pretty awesome too. It was loud and aggressive on-throttle, then when you left off you heard a series of crackles, burbles, and pops like I've never heard while driving a car. You can push a button on the center console, and a series of flaps close in the exhaust system, quieting the whole thing down when you're on long trips. Even with the sports exhaust engaged, there is surprisingly no drone at all in the cabin. A system like this really puts to shame every aftermarket exhaust i've ever heard. It's all of the goodness with none of the compromise.
Last year. I test drove a Cayman (at low speed), wasn't impressed with it. to be fair, didn't push it very hard at all so the car couldn't shine like it was designed to*.
Did the salesman encourage you to push the car?

*this is my history of car testing. Drive it slowly in residential area then decided the car was boring. After buying cars for a few months and becoming more familiar with them, found out how good the cars are. Happens every single time I buy a sports car.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks sweet! Will be relocating to Atlanta soon maybe we can meet up at some point for a sports car pilgrimage to the mountains (129)
Old 02-23-2015, 03:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by basscase
What do you think of the gearing? I understand the tall ratios (83 mph in second!) to be the biggest 981 annoyance.
Gearing felt fine to me. The biggest impression was both power and stability in a way the S2000 could never deliver.

When I think about it, 83mph in second gear doesn't sound bad. There is a LOT of fun driving to be had at relatively legal speeds in the 60-80mph range in public roads and this is going to put you right in the Cayman's powerhouse in second gear.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by S2020
Last year. I test drove a Cayman (at low speed), wasn't impressed with it. to be fair, didn't push it very hard at all so the car couldn't shine like it was designed to*.
Did the salesman encourage you to push the car?

*this is my history of car testing. Drive it slowly in residential area then decided the car was boring. After buying cars for a few months and becoming more familiar with them, found out how good the cars are. Happens every single time I buy a sports car.
It was very cold light snow flurries when I drove the Cayman S for the first time. That particular car only had like 13 miles on it, so I couldn't get on the power too hard, but I did take some fairly aggressive corners with it and it felt amazing.

There is a lot to consider when test driving a car like this on public roads here in Atlanta.
- Lots of power in an unfamiliar car that's not yours
- Lots of traffic, congestion, and bad drivers
- Lots of cops everywhere.
- You're sitting right next to a salesman who probably isn't going to want you beating on it.

So, you can lean into the car a little bit and get a sampling for what it's like, but you can't go 9/10ths and wring it out on a test drive, obviously.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by rnye
Looks sweet! Will be relocating to Atlanta soon maybe we can meet up at some point for a sports car pilgrimage to the mountains (129)
Definitely! The mountain drives in north GA are a favorite of my S2000 buddies here in Atlanta. That is definitely the place you want to go to enjoy your car.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:51 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

Congrats! Looking forward to your impressions when you get yours broken in.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:00 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Nice looking ride! Would really be good if the reliability is like a typical Honda. Interesting, that you thought your 2008 was "flexy" in comparison to the Porsche. I don't find my '07 "flexy" at all. But, maybe the addition of the solid roof helps.

Be nice to see a test report after 25K miles.

Quick Reply: Bought a new Cayman GTS