Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Chevrolet SS

Old 04-28-2014, 08:10 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
GM strategy before bailout: stick big engines in heavy boats with poor reliability, low build quality, lousy mileage, and horrible resale.

and after billions of taxpayer dollars the NEW GM strategy is...........stick big engines in heavy boats with poor reliability, low build quality, lousy mileage, and horrible resale.

This is why I will never buy another GM product. It amazes me that most automakers are trying innovative powertrains to create cars for the future, and GM just stuffs V8's in everything because the brass all grew up in the 50's and 60's and thinks that is what cars should be like.
This is false. GM is not "stuffing V8s in everything". Current lineup of Chevrolet cars

Volt: Electric drive Hybrid
Spark: 1.2 I4 or Electric Drive
Sonic: 1.8 I4 or 1.4T I4
Cruze: 1.8 I4 or 1.4T I4 or 2.0T I4 Diesel
Malibu: 2.5 I4 or 2.0T I4
Impala: 2.5 I4 or 3.6 V6

The only cars they offer with V8s are performance cars (Corvette, Camaro, SS), and that's what this is, a niche enthusiast car for gearheads with kids, hence the manual transmission offering.

http://jalopnik.com/holy-crap-the-ch...-mo-1568025015

People are all up on GMs nuts for offering us a 415hp/RWD/Manual/4door? They are only hoping to sell like 5000 a year so its hardly indicative of any trend of where GM is going. It will probably be the last of its kind.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
I think the car looks great and it is basically an updated G8 GXP, which was a ton of fun to drive and handled really well. The updated body work looks good on the car.

Yes, its a $50k Chevy, but it runs similar numbers as the M5, which costs almost $100k these days, so maybe the SS is a bargain.

You must be talking about the E39 M5 because this thing gets raped by the current or last gen M5. In reality its performance is on par with the 'x'35 BMWs and not as nice or as nimble...Chevy missed the boat again IMO. It is a step forward but Chevy needs to be running to catch up to the competition in this segment.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by derryck
You must be talking about the E39 M5 because this thing gets raped by the current or last gen M5. In reality its performance is on par with the 'x'35 BMWs and not as nice or as nimble...Chevy missed the boat again IMO. It is a step forward but Chevy needs to be running to catch up to the competition in this segment.
The SS starts at 43k, the M5 starts at 93k. A comparably priced 5 series would be a 528i with a 2.0 turbo and even then those are more expensive. I don't think Chevy missed any mark since they are basically in a class of their own. The only similar thing price/performance wise would be a 300C/Charger SRT8.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Gigdy
Originally Posted by marthafokker' timestamp='1398665533' post='23132914
This had potential until GM/Chevy decided to neutered it by giving an outdated LS6 engine instead of c7's LT1 engine.

Now people not only has to get an outdated engine, but also pay for gas guzzler penalty tax when they should not if LT1 was installed.
Since the first half of this is wrong I dont believe the second half.
You are not going to pay gas guzzler tax? Where did hear there is no penalty tax on this? Now who don't sheot?
The LT1 with cylinder deactivation would save enough gas from having to pay the tax. That is why it is outdated. Even Motorweek recommends to just save a few thousands more to get a Vette instead.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by marthafokker
You are not going to pay gas guzzler tax? Where did hear there is no penalty tax on this? Now who don't sheot?
The LT1 with cylinder deactivation would save enough gas from having to pay the tax. That is why it is outdated. Even Motorweek recommends to just save a few thousands more to get a Vette instead.
There is a gas guzzler tax ($1300 I believe). You are right that the LT1 would be better but the SS is powered by the LS3 from the C6 not the LS6 from the C5 Z06. I am guessing that Holden in Australia (where these cars are being built) does not have access to the LT1's yet since they are so new.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:26 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Originally Posted by vader1' timestamp='1398696636' post='23133290
GM strategy before bailout: stick big engines in heavy boats with poor reliability, low build quality, lousy mileage, and horrible resale.

and after billions of taxpayer dollars the NEW GM strategy is...........stick big engines in heavy boats with poor reliability, low build quality, lousy mileage, and horrible resale.

This is why I will never buy another GM product. It amazes me that most automakers are trying innovative powertrains to create cars for the future, and GM just stuffs V8's in everything because the brass all grew up in the 50's and 60's and thinks that is what cars should be like.
This is false. GM is not "stuffing V8s in everything". Current lineup of Chevrolet cars

Volt: Electric drive Hybrid
Spark: 1.2 I4 or Electric Drive
Sonic: 1.8 I4 or 1.4T I4
Cruze: 1.8 I4 or 1.4T I4 or 2.0T I4 Diesel
Malibu: 2.5 I4 or 2.0T I4
Impala: 2.5 I4 or 3.6 V6

The only cars they offer with V8s are performance cars (Corvette, Camaro, SS), and that's what this is, a niche enthusiast car for gearheads with kids, hence the manual transmission offering.

http://jalopnik.com/holy-crap-the-ch...-mo-1568025015

People are all up on GMs nuts for offering us a 415hp/RWD/Manual/4door? They are only hoping to sell like 5000 a year so its hardly indicative of any trend of where GM is going. It will probably be the last of its kind.

Oh I wish I could find the article but I can't. The point of the article was that GM's problems with the Cobalt were due to the fact they never gave a crap about designing a decent car from the start. Just keep developing big V8's for trucks and SUV's and slap together other junk for rental fleets and to meet CAFE. That is why that car (Cobalt) was a turd. And the Cavalier before that.

Of the cars you mention that GM uses to meet CAFE, two of them, the Spark and Sonic are purchased from other manufacturers. Just as GM has always done to meet CAFE with Aveo's and Geo cars. The Cruze is pretty much dead last in its segment not in sales but in quality and value compared to the competition for the same reason the the Cobalt was.

I kind of like the Malibu but it is a sales dud. The Volt is innovative, and the Impala has been getting high marks. And yet GM puts money into certifying in the US, producing an exterior design and associated parts, and warehousing replacement parts for this low volume car. The G8 was praised by the gear head mags and was a sales failure in large part due to gas prices. I don't see how the business case was made, but I rarely understand the business descisions at GM.

But what this does tell me is GM puts a priority into these little projects to get headlines and magazine covers, but will let the mass market cars flounder as a result. GM can do what they want, but in the eyes of some buyers, it is still the same old GM.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:37 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by derryck' timestamp='1398704276' post='23133563
The SS starts at 43k, the M5 starts at 93k. A comparably priced 5 series would be a 528i with a 2.0 turbo and even then those are more expensive. I don't think Chevy missed any mark since they are basically in a class of their own. The only similar thing price/performance wise would be a 300C/Charger SRT8.

Depending on the test you read, the numbers are about the same as a 335i which would be about the same price. I say depending on the test because it will test around 4.7 to sixty with the MPPK option and has tested as slow as 4.9-5.3 to sixty, and similar quarters on the quicker tests. The 335i is smaller if you want family size car, but about the same price and performance. Less torque though.

Not sure people would cross shop the two, but speed and price are similar. The Bimmer can be had for less with few options, but the SS comes with much more out of the shoot.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by marthafokker' timestamp='1398704639' post='23133582

There is a gas guzzler tax ($1300 I believe). You are right that the LT1 would be better but the SS is powered by the LS3 from the C6 not the LS6 from the C5 Z06. I am guessing that Holden in Australia (where these cars are being built) does not have access to the LT1's yet since they are so new.
Oops... LS3. That's what happens having kids with no sleep and typing in the middle of the night, and sleepwalking during the day.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:59 AM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by hariku821
Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.' timestamp='1398652545' post='23132746
I hate to dog on any car where a manufacturer takes a risk, but that is just too boring. It's not remotely stylish; just a generic car.

Did you think the same thing about the recent GTO ?

No, not really. My only complaint with the GTO is that it's just too heavy. But styling wise, I always though it looked pretty good, even in spite of the cheesy Pontiac grill. The SS is just super boring. The GTO I would describe as subtle.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by vader1
Oh I wish I could find the article but I can't. The point of the article was that GM's problems with the Cobalt were due to the fact they never gave a crap about designing a decent car from the start. Just keep developing big V8's for trucks and SUV's and slap together other junk for rental fleets and to meet CAFE. That is why that car (Cobalt) was a turd. And the Cavalier before that.

Of the cars you mention that GM uses to meet CAFE, two of them, the Spark and Sonic are purchased from other manufacturers. Just as GM has always done to meet CAFE with Aveo's and Geo cars. The Cruze is pretty much dead last in its segment not in sales but in quality and value compared to the competition for the same reason the the Cobalt was.

I kind of like the Malibu but it is a sales dud. The Volt is innovative, and the Impala has been getting high marks. And yet GM puts money into certifying in the US, producing an exterior design and associated parts, and warehousing replacement parts for this low volume car. The G8 was praised by the gear head mags and was a sales failure in large part due to gas prices. I don't see how the business case was made, but I rarely understand the business descisions at GM.

But what this does tell me is GM puts a priority into these little projects to get headlines and magazine covers, but will let the mass market cars flounder as a result. GM can do what they want, but in the eyes of some buyers, it is still the same old GM.
Its hardly a pet project from what I have read. GM has an agreement that they will import X number of cars from Australia for X number of years. This is just a rebadged Holden Commodore SS made in Australia. Besides, isn't Holden shutting down in 2017? Seriously though, here is the picture of the Holden, almost no additional development went into making this car:

As for the Spark and Sonic, I believe those are produced by GM Korea (formerly Daewoo) not "bought from another manufacturer". Either way, I don't see any problem bringing these cars in from asia as Americans demand everything be cheaper than it ought to be. I drove a Spark for a weekend (300 miles) and it felt very well made and was very economical and pleasant to ride in, much better than the old crap of yore you mentioned (cavalier, cobalt, aveo, metros). I am seeing quite a few of them around downtown and they are fairing well in the car mag reviews (especially their EV version).

I think GM deserves more credit than you are giving it. GM is Pushing their small block v8s to be as efficient as possible in a world where everyone else is switching to small displacement FI mills, how is this not innovative, FI is the easy way out. Being the first to offer an electric drive hybrid is innovative. Also, who else besides VW offers turbo diesel in passenger cars?

GM is on the right track in my mind. The recall issues and associated deaths are a serious blow to their momentum but letting their current line up speak for itself, I think they are doing well. Remember, its only been 5 years since the bailout, so given some more time I think they will live to shine again.

Quick Reply: Chevrolet SS