Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Considering 370Z, test driving tactics...?

Old 12-14-2016, 06:06 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Considering 370Z, test driving tactics...?

Ok, please don't flame me too bad for this. I'm not planning on selling my S2000 up the river just yet. I always wanted an S and finally got it this May. While I really love a lot of things about the car, I think a more GT type car like the 370Z may be a better fit for me. I'm 6'2" 220 with broad shoulders and with BYS seat rails I fit OK but the bolsters are a bit tight on my upper back, shoulders and ribs. I love the smooth free revving engine but I would love to have more torque for daily driving. This is my first convertible as well and I'm not sure I'm in love with the convertible but I do like it sometimes, especially at night. Last night, I drove it 2 hrs round trip on curvy roads to visit my Dad and really enjoyed the drive a LOT. Other times, when just tooling around town or really anytime I'm not revving it consistently to at least 6k I long for a torque GT car. Plus I plan on taking a long, cross country drive soon and I think a 370Z would be better for that. I sat in one and I have way more leg room. Plus I used to own some older Z's from the 70's and 80's and I like the hatch design. Most of the video reviews on youtube are very positive, placing it kind of between an S2000 and a Mustang, like sort of a Japanese muscle car with good handling.
So to the second part of my question, how to test drive one? I live in WV and 370Z's come up for sale fairly frequently, so finding one isn't too much of a problem, but there is no chance in hell I would trade my S2000. The reason I mention where I live is that around here many of the dealerships are a bit tightwadish on letting people test drive sports cars. I hate to give them a bunch of BS knowing full well I'm not going to make a deal anytime soon. But I've got to drive one somehow to know if I want one. I would have to drive a 370 and then IF I decided I wanted a 370, would have to sell the S and then find a 370. Even if (in a parallel universe) they would give me full retail for the S, its not a decision I would make on the spot. The S was a major purchase for me and not one I would get rid of without sleeping on it for many nights. So when you guys are considering a new car that is a not just a run of the mill people hauler that dealers don't mind anyone driving? BTW I'm 41 years old, so not a young kid, no offense to anyone but sometimes that makes a difference when test driving at dealerships. I've almost always bought used cars from individuals and have very little dealership experience. Please feel free to weigh in your opinions of the 370Z also.

Thanks

Jon
Old 12-14-2016, 06:19 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I really doubt any dealership would withhold a test drive on a used 370Z.

If for some reason a dealership test drive is out of the question, I'd register on the370z.com and post in your local forum. I'm sure a local enthusiast would let you check out their car and probably drive it. I would do the same for someone looking to get into a S2000 as long as they weren't sketchy.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:25 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

I know nothing about the 370z.

I always look for leaks, ask the dealer to let you see it on a hoist and walk around underneath. If they car is not too high on the mileage, there are not a ton of things to worry about but you can pull on suspension stuff and check for play. If it is not leaking and you take it for a ride, try ALL of the buttons and switches to make sure EVERYTHING works. After the drive remove oil cap or dipstick and make sure no foamy-butter looking stuff on either (head gasket leak, rare). If it does not make any funny noises, that helps. If we are talking about a car with 30,000 miles or less, the condition of the tires and the life left in the pads will tell you a lot about how it was driven before.

My used Cayman might have a transmission bearing making some noise but it is down for the winter so I will have the dealer look at it. But that brings me to the last point. The Cayman is certified so if there is a bearing that is making noise and it has to be pulled, that jillion dollar expense is not a concern of mine. Certified cars are a pretty good deal if you find one.

I would not worry about the dealership letting you drive it. If they don't you walk. I kinda thought the Porsche dealership would not let me take out any cars, they let me drive whatever I was interested in.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:01 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Most of them are justifiably worried about High school buddies out for a lark trying test drives and that sort of thing.

If you look like a legit buyer they all realize they need test drives to sell a car. Even if you're not an immediate buyer most will want to crete a good impression
Old 12-14-2016, 08:57 AM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

I'd look at used Cayman if you want a 2 seater. I'd say a BRZ/FRS but you want torque.

But cost wise, I'd go to an American muscle V8. QuickAG has pointed out in the other thread, how heavily discounted Chevy products are right now. Camaro SS for 35k? That's a steal. As is a Mustang GT with the performance pack. I've seen people land those for 33k new. The GT now has IRS. I'd take either over the 370. You could look at G37 coupes too. Used, they go cheap, they heavily depreciate when new so used they go for a song.

Last edited by TommyDeVito; 12-14-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:50 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

It's all about showing true interest in the car, if they get the impression you're just there to kick tires most dealers when they're slow will still let you drive it anyway. If you want to ensure your ability to drive one, call ahead and schedule an appointment to see it and drive it. I drove several 370zs and walked away happy with them, drives sorta like an e46 m3. Underappreciated car when new but as a used bargain they're shaping up to be a gem.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:37 PM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
I kinda thought the Porsche dealership would not let me take out any cars, they let me drive whatever I was interested in.
Lol...I ran into that exact problem with one of the Porsche dealerships near me. I spoke with a salesperson and set an appointment specifically to drive the one and only Cayman they had in stock. Got there at the agreed upon day/time, about an hour before closing, and the car was boxed in on the showroom floor. They told me I'd have to come back another day to actually drive it. I said no thanks and took my money elsewhere. :P
Old 12-14-2016, 01:04 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Wear a nice watch and shoes.
Don't dress like a bum, act professional, courteous, speak without slang.
its all about perception and first impressions.
Drive whatever you want....

when I want to go to dealers and not be bothered?
I wear flip flops, tattered shorts, and a ragged t-shirt
shamefully, our world still judges on appearance.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:09 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by berlinablackie

when I want to go to dealers and not be bothered?
I wear flip flops, tattered shorts, and a ragged t-shirt
shamefully, our world still judges on appearance.
....and go on Sunday.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:02 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

If you have a business card, give it to the dealer. ask the dealer to drive the car and you be a passenger. i'd guess in conversations the dealer will eventually trust you and then have you get in the driver seat.

good luck.

darcy
​​​​​​​

Last edited by darcyw; 12-14-2016 at 07:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Considering 370Z, test driving tactics...?