Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Contemplating Selling the S2k, What's It Worth, What To Get Next?

Old 01-25-2017, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Contemplating Selling the S2k, What's It Worth, What To Get Next?

Hi guys, new member here. I have a yellow s2k that I got on a trade for my ls1 e30 a couple months ago. I've been loving it way more than I thought I would. Anyway, I just moved from NJ to FL and I'm considering getting something with 4 seats so if friends come to visit I can put more than 1 person in the car.

So... What's my car worth? I see prices all over the place. I'm thinking 18k?

Details
2005 Rio yellow
50k miles
5th owner
oem Honda front and rear spoilers
lowered on springs, not sure which
Indvidia catback
aftermarket intake
short throw shifter
no accidents
Black interior
new tires
up to date on all maintenance

Bad: has two tears in the top in the usual spots.

should I fix the top before selling or just discount the cost of the repair?

What to get next:
I'm unsure. It needs to be less than or equal to the Honda. I don't really need another fun car because I own a viper for that, but I would like something can put a smile on my face. Definitely no point A to point B cars such as a Camry. Something 2005+. Luxury cars considered too. Stick is a plus. Convertible is a plus plus. I do all maintenance and work myself, I'm not scared to do maintenance.. I've owned multiple b5 s4 stg3+. Price for cars with mileage 100k or less as long as maintained.

cars on my list so far:
03-08 e55 / e63 (rather the e55)
c6 s6
Wrx Sti hatch
b7 s4 vert
e60 m5
335d
??
??

If you're gonna a suggest a car, let me know why.

Contemplating Selling the S2k, What's It Worth, What To Get Next?-rxr4jgn.jpg
Contemplating Selling the S2k, What's It Worth, What To Get Next?-atjpakb.jpg
Contemplating Selling the S2k, What's It Worth, What To Get Next?-aflaip9.jpg
Contemplating Selling the S2k, What's It Worth, What To Get Next?-d6ly22b.jpg
Contemplating Selling the S2k, What's It Worth, What To Get Next?-kiutaph.jpg
Contemplating Selling the S2k, What's It Worth, What To Get Next?-fv6dwi3.jpg

thanks for looking!
Old 01-25-2017, 03:21 PM

Received 323 Likes on 274 Posts

Since you are in Florida I say keep the S, you can always ride in your friends cars if they come to visit. At worse you could always rent a car if your friends come.
Your S looks great.
Levi
Old 01-25-2017, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
Since you are in Florida I say keep the S, you can always ride in your friends cars if they come to visit. At worse you could always rent a car if your friends come.
Your S looks great.
Levi
Thank you, it is pretty!

They would be flying down to visit. Having to take an uber everywhere, including just to grab dinner, would get annoying fast. Even if the parents come to visit- same thing. Plus I'm racking up mileage like crazy lately!

I'm still only considering it. I just want to weigh my options... Gather an honest opinion on its value and see what other cars are out there that might grab my attention for the same or less cost.

Regardless of what I do I think the s2k community is pretty awesome so I wouldn't mind keeping it. I receive lots of love for this car and ever since driving one myself, I've gained a new found respect for them. It's so enjoyable.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:27 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

E46 M3 Vert is what I would suggest for you.

or

Keep the S2000, sell the viper, and get a E90 M3

I don't really see how you could go wrong in any of these situations.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:35 PM

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

You've got a very nice example of these increasingly rare beauties. I'd definitely keep it, but these cars are in my veins. That being said, I'd think you might could get a little more. Maybe $20k or $21k. Then a WRX Sti would be my pick based on the stuff you're going for next. I've always preferred the coupe over the hatch, but I've got a thing for smaller cars.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:59 AM

I would keep the S and just rent a car when your friends come in town. Weekely car rentals are cheap, $100 is easy to come by. I have had many nice cars and the S is my favorite among all of them. I think you will end up regretting getting rid of it.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:24 AM

Received 323 Likes on 274 Posts

Levi
Old 01-26-2017, 07:07 AM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

"I've been loving it way more than I thought I would."

I would not sell a car I love simply to accommodate IF friends visit.
Rental cars are super cheap for the IF times your friends visit. When I travel I always rent my own cars also. How often will you have multiple friends visiting anyways?
Or pay off the S2k (if you have a loan) and then get another larger vehicle. The S2k is a great second car.

As for value - I think blackbookvalues is a good place to start in getting the value of your car - http://www.blackbookportals.com/bb/p...=thinkbank.COM
Old 01-26-2017, 08:44 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

I think it comes down to what you like more, the Viper or the S. Throw a supercharger on the s if it makes the decision easier. Sounds like you have already owned a lot of the 4 seater cars you looking to acquire now, so I'm getting a little dizzy thinking about what your doing. Ive owned the same 2 cars (my S and Tacoma) for over a decade with no plans to part with them yet. Some people change cars as often as wheels or tennis shoes, which I never understood.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:49 AM

879: E46 m3 is nice, but I feel the e46 styling is dated. I've wanted the viper since I was 9 years old so that's something I want to hold on to for awhile. I do see a nice e92 m3 around me, but it's a few thousand more than I want to spend. I'll keep an eye out for them though. Good suggestion.

vortamock: thank you! Appreciate the evaluation. I've always wanted an aggressive hatch/wagon, ctsv wagon, e55 wagon or b5 s4 avant etc. The sti would tickle that scratch too since those cars are much easier to come by at a reasonable price.

carAholic: it's an option, but would definitely be easier with a car I already have available.

MrFunk: Yes, definitely more than I thought I would since I never gave the car a thought until it was offered to me. Friends and family are going to be coming often since plane tickets are so cheap ($40-80 round trip). No loan on the S. Again, my second vehicle is a gen3 viper so I have a great 2nd vehicle.

s2000junky: definitely the viper. For the same price to SC the s2k I can SC the viper or do heads and cam and make 750-800hp. I haven't owned any of the cars I've listed. Those are cars I'm considering! And I am one of those people, I usually change cars once or twice a year. Although I have kept cars for 2-3 years. There are just too many I want to own and drive.

Thanks for all the replies fellas! In hindsight a forum specific to the s2k is probably not the best place to come to when looking for objectivity on keeping or replacing the s2k

Quick Reply: Contemplating Selling the S2k, What's It Worth, What To Get Next?