Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Trying to downsize to 2 cars. 1 sports sedan but auto and a truck.

Old 01-24-2017, 06:21 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Out of the OP's list it seems like he's looking for a 35K or less car. I'd pick the Golf R out of those.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:58 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

How about a Pole Star or R series Volvo?
Old 01-24-2017, 07:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Well budget could go up if I do decide to get rid of Mustang and Legacy. Max would be 50k I think if I went this route. Haven't decided if I want to go this route yet though. I definitely want to get rid of the Acura and get either a truck or a more fun suv that has aftermarket support.

I may decide to keep Mustang and Legacy and then just get a new truck or SUV.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Moddiction
Yeah I'll see what I do. I may just deal with 3 cars for now. I really have enjoyed this Mustang 5.0. Especially now that' it's modded quite a bit.

she would drive the truck but not thrilled if that was the only auto car. I guess 3 cars may be the only way to go about it right now.

I really want to drive a Golf R though. I've heard great things! I'd get a ton more use out of my fun car if it had 4 doors.
My wife thought she wanted a big SUV so I bought her an Escalade. I had a GTI that I prepped for autocross and ended up getting rid of for my S2000. She ended up hating the size of the Escalade and wanted...you guessed it, a GTI, and she loves it. Not too much power, but enough to have fun in and the DSG is still fun to drive in my opinion. Of course the R would be that and then some.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:29 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

losing the stick is one step closer to the self driving car.

New BMW sticks have auto rev match. Sad
Old 01-24-2017, 07:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah I think I would go crazy not having a stick shift car.

I wish we didn't "need" an suv at all but we do go on a bunch of road trips to visit family and with small kids the amount of crap we bring is ridiculous. Otherwise I'd just get a sport sedan and then keep my Mustang and her car for now.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:13 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
We are starting to look at convertible model M3's to replace our S60 this year. Manual is a tough sell for my gf, but I guess an automatic would be fine. I'd prefer the V8 model and looks like there's plenty to choose from. Limited color selection.
Depending on the year you have 9-10 color choices, although admittedly there are like two blacks, two whites, two grays, etc.
Originally Posted by gerry100
New BMW sticks have auto rev match. Sad
I just read that you can't even defeat it in the M2. WTF?! Why not? Should be a simple line of code...
I wish we didn't "need" an suv at all but we do go on a bunch of road trips to visit family and with small kids the amount of crap we bring is ridiculous. Otherwise I'd just get a sport sedan and then keep my Mustang and her car for now.
One option to consider is getting a roof rack with a box carrier. My parents do that with their Accord.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by white98ls
Depending on the year you have 9-10 color choices, although admittedly there are like two blacks, two whites, two grays, etc.

I just read that you can't even defeat it in the M2. WTF?! Why not? Should be a simple line of code...

One option to consider is getting a roof rack with a box carrier. My parents do that with their Accord.
Where did you read that about the M2? You can turn it off with a push of the traction control off button.

I honestly like the auto rev match for day to day driving, it makes driving in traffic easy and brainless. I turn off traction control and do my own heel/toe on the track. Now that I've had auto rev match for driving on the street I would probably not buy another manual DD without it.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:47 AM

Well budget could go up if I do decide to get rid of Mustang and Legacy. Max would be 50k I think if I went this route. Haven't decided if I want to go this route yet though. I definitely want to get rid of the Acura and get either a truck or a more fun suv that has aftermarket support.

I may decide to keep Mustang and Legacy and then just get a new truck or SUV.
50K I'd squeeze a few more thousand out and buy a F80 M3.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:17 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Where did you read that about the M2? You can turn it off with a push of the traction control off button.
Oh didn't know that - I read it in the article Motor Trend posted yesterday.

Quick Reply: Trying to downsize to 2 cars. 1 sports sedan but auto and a truck.