Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: Which sub-$20k car should I buy for track/daily?
Used BRZ/FRS
43.48%
E36 M3
0%
E46 M3
17.39%
E46 330i ZHP
0%
Something else
39.13%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

What daily/track car should I buy?

Old 02-05-2017, 07:37 AM

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts

I would strongly consider an evo or another s2000. I would never buy a german car out of warranty unless i have money to blow.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:37 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Zygrene
Since you really can't be bothered to watch for 9 minutes...

My criteria for a new daily/track car with emphasis on the track side:

1) Under $20k new or used
2) RWD highly preferred
3) Manual transmission
4) Backseat preferred
5) Not a Miata, e.g. has at least 200hp
6) Reliable and reasonably cheap to maintain

I realize it will be hard to fit all 6 criteria, but I'm open to suggestions for any car that fits 4 or more!
no need to be offended. 9minutes to say all that is chatty.

4 or more, change your price point. Really simple. That list is a joke if you want a real track car. You want it all.

2018 Mustang GT track pack
used GTR
old STI

two cars, one track and one road. Is another option
Old 02-05-2017, 05:12 PM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

Fiero.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:02 AM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

Your sig says you have a S2000 and a NSX, why don't you use one of those as a track car and get a cheap 4 seat daily?
Old 02-06-2017, 08:05 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I needed to pickup a car to DD for a year down in Boston and I had similar criteria. I also didn't want anything older than 2010, as I didn't want to spend much on maintenance. I went with a '15 FRS. Despite the somewhat boring engine, the car is a blast. Already have coilovers, wheels, and an exhaust ordered.

It's no replacement for either my STI or S2000, but a decent DD that is somewhat of a mixture of the two.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:06 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

The only car I can think of that checks all the boxes (barely) is a BRZ/FRS.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:14 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

SW20
Old 02-06-2017, 08:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullwings
1) Used BRZ/FRS
2) E36 M3
3) E46 330
4) c5 zo6 (hard find - need to travel for it) - no back seat.

Not much else. I wouldn't want to daily anything pre-2000 these days, and actually, now that I have a newer car, I wouldn't want to daily anything pre-2010. Track cars are different stories where pre-2006 and earlier is better...
All good options! I test drove an E46 330i ZHP sedan the other day. It was very refined and comfortable but felt a bit heavy for track use. I need to try a stock E36 M3 and see if that fits my needs better.

Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang
The S2000 obviously meets 5 out of 6, how important are back seats? Other than that a used BMW (pick your poison) will meet 5 out of 6 as well, but not really known for reliability or cheap maintenance. The new era Mustang, with the IRS, can be quite the performer, to my knowledge they are fairly reliable, and have a huge aftermarket. Cheap to maintain, all engines have 300+ horsepower. Same can be said for the latest generation Camaro. Can't really think of anything else...
The more I think about it, the more I will need the back seats. I don't drive 3+ people around every day but often enough to warrant this requirement.

2015+ Mustang GT and previous gen Camaro 1LE are good options but on the pricier side. I would also feel much more comfortable tracking a cheaper car.

Originally Posted by kimjongTRILL
Fiesta st.
Meets all the requirements except RWD, but I'm stubborn about RWD + manual.

Originally Posted by ealand0001
If you can get over it not being rwd, evo8 or 9. Still, one of my favorite cars. The steering is amazing. Very versatile. Honestly, you (me) look weird at 40 with a winged econo-box, or I'd get another one.
Considered Evo 8/9 but I figure it's kind of a "cheat" car. It may cause me to develop bad driving habits by mashing the throttle on corner exit and relying on AWD/AYC. I'm not really looking for lap times, just want to improve my driving skills.

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
968 Porsche, Mustang, older M3. At least on the 968 they've bottomed out and starting to rise in price noticeably. Keep it in top shape and you're only paying for maintenance.
Never considered the 968, will keep an eye out!

Last edited by Zygrene; 02-06-2017 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by umair
I would strongly consider an evo or another s2000. I would never buy a german car out of warranty unless i have money to blow.
See my previous comment regarding the Evo. As for S2000, besides not having a backseat it would be risky to park outside my house. Theft/vandalism has always been a major issue in my neighborhood.

Originally Posted by rob-2
no need to be offended. 9minutes to say all that is chatty.

4 or more, change your price point. Really simple. That list is a joke if you want a real track car. You want it all.

2018 Mustang GT track pack
used GTR
old STI

two cars, one track and one road. Is another option
I don't see how my list is a joke. There are quite a few cars that meet 4 or more of the criteria. For example, a well maintained E36 M3. A used GTR doesn't even meet 4.

Originally Posted by JamesD89
Your sig says you have a S2000 and a NSX, why don't you use one of those as a track car and get a cheap 4 seat daily?
My sig hasn't been updated in a few months. I no longer have the S2000, only NSX. The NSX is too risky to track 5-6 times a year so I'm looking for something cheaper.

Originally Posted by Canadian144
I needed to pickup a car to DD for a year down in Boston and I had similar criteria. I also didn't want anything older than 2010, as I didn't want to spend much on maintenance. I went with a '15 FRS. Despite the somewhat boring engine, the car is a blast. Already have coilovers, wheels, and an exhaust ordered.

It's no replacement for either my STI or S2000, but a decent DD that is somewhat of a mixture of the two.
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
The only car I can think of that checks all the boxes (barely) is a BRZ/FRS.
Used FRS/BRZ is definitely high on the list but I'm trying to weigh the pros/cons between that and E36 M3, besides the $6-7k price difference.

Originally Posted by vader1
SW20
Fun car but too impractical.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:25 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Zygrene
See my previous comment regarding the Evo. As for S2000, besides not having a backseat it would be risky to park outside my house. Theft/vandalism has always been a major issue in my neighborhood.

I don't see how my list is a joke. There are quite a few cars that meet 4 or more of the criteria. For example, a well maintained E36 M3. A used GTR doesn't even meet 4.

My sig hasn't been updated in a few months. I no longer have the S2000, only NSX. The NSX is too risky to track 5-6 times a year so I'm looking for something cheaper.

Used FRS/BRZ is definitely high on the list but I'm trying to weigh the pros/cons between that and E36 M3, besides the $6-7k price difference.

Fun car but too impractical.
E36 is a 15+ year old car at best and most are 20 years old. If you get one get ready to spend some money to update all the bushings, shocks, cooling system, leaking oil filter housing gasket, valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, guibo, saggy glove box door and all the other fun old 3 series items.

Quick Reply: What daily/track car should I buy?