Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Another BMW query to this friendly community ...

Old 01-17-2017, 07:58 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

All good thoughts. I also have the MOT due soon. For which I can fit the £10 lookalike and just not wire it up to heat or dim. The tilt/close mechanisms are still working so it looks like all is ok apart from the mirror itself. Heating and/or dimming won't be/can't be tested and I don't see as part of the MOT.

The local dealer service gal provided a tame mechanic but he couldn't find a wiring diagram ffs. He had a look and pointed out the wiring is tricksy - what comes in from the loom goes first to the motor from whence it is re-distributed on new leads, including the 4 that go to the mirror. Tomorrow I will visit the Indy over in Kings Lynn for a chat and to wire up my dashcam and while he's at it fix the mirror.

Been exploring parts diagrams but I don't think there is such a thing as an 'ordinary' look alike. However on the basis that BMW would propagate over-complication I will check out the new M3 (F80/F82/F83) and see what I can find. Though I think they might have direction indicators to add to the complication and cost if you break one

The more I think about it, my £10 mirror if it works is a keeper.

Last edited by arsie; 01-17-2017 at 08:01 AM.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a parts diagram you could try putting the last seven digits of your VIN in to www.realoem.com.

Should be able to find the mirror bits and the BMW price in dollars on there.

Edit: Feck me. Just checked the price of the dimming mirror glass on my E92 330d. $322.57.Ouch.

Last edited by PaulR; 01-17-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:54 AM

Thanks for the link - me too. Ouch indeed.

TBH don't recall noticing the side mirrors' dimming but the rear view mirror does and it's useful.

The dealer mechanic suggested I could try using a multimeter to test voltages on each of the leads. So all I need is to leave it out overnight ah yes tonight we are getting a frost here so that would have been a good time for the auto heating voltage to kick in Alternatively I can shine a bright light on the rear view (internal) mirror to trigger the dim sensor and voltage. At least I can visually check when the passenger side mirror dims ... assuming it works ...

p.s. thanks all. Good site this. Not a dicky bird on M3cutters so far but maybe I will PM the guy there who does replica auto dim rear view mirrors (I already heard back from him but he only does E46 side mirrors not the E90).

@Gaddafi/UF: already got feelers out with German car breakers. Lightning doesn't strike twice?
Old 01-17-2017, 12:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to Birds | Birds
Worth asking. They did a lot of work for me - big outfit and well connected.
OEM parts will often be cheaper as they pull them right out of the depot near Heathrow...
Steve
Old 01-17-2017, 01:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't have any advice for you, but can fully sympathise as the same thing happened to me just before xmas in my X5. I managed to recover the plastic cover from the side of the road, not too much damage and clipped back on. However, the glass needs replacing, it definitely won't pass an MOT.

So I contacted BMW, but they want £308!!! for the glass only since it's heated and auto dimming.

I can get heated glass, but non dimming for about £35 on ebay. Not sure how much I'd miss the auto dimming function.. Used mirrors seem to go for £200+
Old 01-17-2017, 01:37 PM

Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

How on earth did we ever manage without auto dimming door mirrors?
Old 01-17-2017, 01:39 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by arsie
Thanks for the link - me too. Ouch indeed.

TBH don't recall noticing the side mirrors' dimming but the rear view mirror does and it's useful.

The dealer mechanic suggested I could try using a multimeter to test voltages on each of the leads. So all I need is to leave it out overnight ah yes tonight we are getting a frost here so that would have been a good time for the auto heating voltage to kick in Alternatively I can shine a bright light on the rear view (internal) mirror to trigger the dim sensor and voltage. At least I can visually check when the passenger side mirror dims ... assuming it works ...

p.s. thanks all. Good site this. Not a dicky bird on M3cutters so far but maybe I will PM the guy there who does replica auto dim rear view mirrors (I already heard back from him but he only does E46 side mirrors not the E90).

@Gaddafi/UF: already got feelers out with German car breakers. Lightning doesn't strike twice?
Set up an ebay alert for new listings of M3s being broken.

I know from considerable experience breaking cars that external mirrors always sell so you need to get in quick. Doubly so with things like M cars because the 320D brigade want them on their car. Same with M sport bits.

You may do better with a car being broken than a specific part but I'd set up alerts for both.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:15 PM

@m1bjr, Gaddafi: cheers Steve, Pete

UF's ploy of retracting Dumbo's ears is a new reflex to get up to speed with in the meantime
Old 01-17-2017, 10:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Heinz '57
How on earth did we ever manage without auto dimming door mirrors?
I used to think this but I really like them in mine, it feels odd when I drive the other car with its normal mirrors!
Old 01-17-2017, 11:02 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by arsie
@m1bjr, Gaddafi: cheers Steve, Pete

UF's ploy of retracting Dumbo's ears is a new reflex to get up to speed with in the meantime
The other ploy is to buy a really narrow car ( Aygo ) and then lull the tailgating Merc / BMW / Audi barge into following you through a gap only big enough for you at sufficient speed to make them smack their own dumbos off whatever was either side of you with no chance to lose said speed. Knebworth High street is a favourite for this

Quick Reply: Another BMW query to this friendly community ...