Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Broken springs

Old 02-21-2017, 07:36 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

I'm blaming the mobi site ahem..

my BM is 9 now.. still fine. And my S2s are 18 and 16.. the younger one is well behaved.
i think broken springs is due to cheap and heavy

the BM has had an aux belt replaced and rear discs which are wear and tear anyway.

I bet my S2 calipers didnt last more than 6 years but ifiirc

The moral of this is **** the volvo off and buy a better car haha
Old 02-21-2017, 08:18 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

GM and Ford do seem to have a rep for breaking springs - engineered to a price?

Having said that, there have been a couple of S2Ks with broken springs over the years, so it's partially luck.

And a buckled wheel might suggest that the car had a bit of a major suspension loading...

It's always a judgment call, but when it gets to an age where gaitors/bushes etc are starting to break down (it was about 12 years in the case of the 'Lude) you start to look into a money pit.

You can get some pretty decent deals on used V40s (now they are allowed to make a hatchback again!) so it might be time to chop in for a newer model. The car, I mean...
Old 02-21-2017, 08:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's an 11 plate car with only 47k on the clock though, I would've expected it to last longer before it started playing up with these things.

the springs and buckled wheel are just down thumping around on the patchwork tarmac with potholes and silly man made speed bumps round here and its the only driving she does, it barely sees the motorway.

I reckon we'll just fix it up and batter it for another year and then chop it in for something else
Old 02-21-2017, 09:50 AM

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

I found a section of spring laying in the road a couple of years ago , and I pondered why just so many coil springs break on cars , but some commentators have suggested this is primary an issue for European manufacturers, but I am sure that pretty much circumstantial rather than factual evidence.

Now the life of a car rose spring is pretty demanding , with continuous flexing during its service life and I dare say even a minor surface defect will eventually cause failure. The piece of spring I found certainly had what looked like a small wear mark just the where the failure occurred and not far from the end , it was a variable rate spring looking at the curve and I wondered if the mark was where the end of the cut coil was touching at this point under lead causing the mark and ultimate failure.

Most car coils I have seen sit in a crude pressed steel cup to house the end of the springs , the springs are finished in the traditional way, "closed and ground" which is expensive I dare say compared to the crude cups.

so is this the problem ?

i know commercial vehicles break a lot of leaf springs , especially on buses so i am told recently.

My thoughts !
Old 02-21-2017, 10:01 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

And fire engines/ambulances, too.

Road tits are largely the culprit. Especially since they are never maintained and have landing dips after them.

The stupidest idea Stupid McStupid of the Stupid party ever came up with.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:13 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

They are ****ing evil

nina's kumquat is launched over em without passenger impediment but i bet it hurts Chippo's cups no end...
Old 02-21-2017, 12:17 PM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Chippo should have his cup size checked. Don't want his springs to pop out do we
Old 02-21-2017, 12:26 PM

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

CAREFUL you lot don't find a spring stuck where the sun don't shine , with a sharp open un-ground end
Old 02-21-2017, 12:35 PM

Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

The occasional " BOING!" from the back of SWMBOs SLK was traced to both rear spring broken. Not unusual for Mercs I believe.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's quite funny I had a good long search on the dutch google and broken springs are unheard of there, never happens... what a surprise

Quick Reply: Broken springs