Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

PCP

Old 02-20-2017, 01:41 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Indeed - and a BR86 has few moving parts and dismantles beautifully easily. And Lotuses even do the latter part for you, sometimes.

The reason VW cars are so despised in teh US appears to be that they DO start to fall apart after the warranty expires. That's why they persist in buying Hondas and Toyotas.

£54 large for a rep's unreliable POS? But you can get an M-B AMG43Touring4MATIC thing (it was a thought experiment*) for 45K, without any 'I'm a wanker-options'. What IS this obsession with four-pot cancer engines?

*The thought being, which modern cars offer the Leg End's features? Most of these thing only have a crude AWD system and cannot be had without a crude self-igniter powertrain on the UK market. You also need to tick a lot of the wanker-boxes to get some form of sat-nav, Carmen Hardon's sub-woofers (dropping in an aftermarket sound system is now often problematical), dog blinds, etc, etc. So I can see how they get to those prices.

It's leading me to conclude that there will be very little choice of 'beater' a few years down the road - you'll either have to get a Dacia - or a Tesla, a Fluke meter and learn to be proficient with the soldering iron.

The ability to buy and fix broken stuff (and then drive it until it's properly broken and then SCRAP IT) will become more necessary.

For those without the competence, it'll be 'use once only' - or renting new junk...
Old 02-20-2017, 01:55 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

It's the desire to have the options that causes the problem, either through clever marketing or one up manship - and the car is worth no more 2nd hand on Glasses guide with them ..... the only winner here is the dealer and the maker with PCP taking its cut. All you do is bump up the monthly payments by one or two hundred quid. I don't think anyone honestly looks at the end price OR the depreciation, as long as they can hand it back after 24 months and jump into the next over equipped luxury thing, no one seems to care.

So many people do PCP you end up wondering if maybe YOU have got it wrong but there is something about it that doesn't appeal to my Yorkshire pockets it's just that i freely admit to lacking the finance skills to write it down on paper

Actually, as a dog wagon / tip transport / shopping barge .... those Dacia Dusters make reasonable sense 2nd hand, little to go wrong and if you want better speakers / radio you just rip out the OEM crap and fit what you want.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:33 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

I was speccing up my aforementioned boggo einser (120i), Base price is £25,910, and with some (what I would call) basic options like reversing sensors,climate control and cruise control (all standard on my Pug) which have to be purchased as "packs", the price increases to £27,650

Carwow has got this down to £24,586 but that's a "lot" of money.

fortunately, it seems that most people go for these options, so there is plenty of choice on the 2nd hand market.

This looks to be pretty good value: BMW 1 SERIES 120i Sport 5dr [Nav] Step Auto 1.6 and apparently PCP is available
Old 02-20-2017, 03:40 AM

Indeed - one requires the sheeple to go out and PCP up these thing, ticking all the boxes, so that we can buy them later for junk money. So we oughtn't knock it. Otherwise, there'd be few secondhand cars!

It's 'Sky' packaging - you have to tick all the packs, because there's one thing out of each you actually want. With kit cars like Evoras, it doesn't matter, because you can easily retro-fit the bits you want. They even have double-DIN holes in the dash, and no link to the Engine management/HVAC/etc via the head unit. I like that...

I do miss the fact that no-one buys weird Jap Crap any more, though. No more Toyota Centuries, Mazda Cosmos, Honda Leg Ends, Subaru Hepatitis-Bs, etc...the scene is a lot more boring, these days.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the end is nigh and it's all our (pcp / lease) fault.

I'm sorry.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...inancial-crash

on a positive, an XC60 in the exact spec colour just parked outside my house so I could have a decent look (only it was the rattly diesel, not our smooth 8spd auto petrol)... I was worried that taking it as 'base' would mean it looked like a dogs breakfgast, but it looks nice, more so in SE spec than R-design in my opinion.. the R-design is trying too hard to look sporty, but the stock 18" wheels look pap, the SE looks just so... almost classy in it's understated looks... much like a volvo should be.

that was lucky then... as despite wanting to 'buy' (sort of) a near £35k car, it's seemingly impossible to get a dealer to get the exact car / spec in to view, you can look at another XC60 in another colour and just imagine it has different wheels / trim etc and look at the 6x4" colour swatch and do your best...

I don't like buying trainers without seeing them in the flesh!
Old 02-20-2017, 05:06 AM

It's alright - the new Infinity QE 9,000,000,000,000,000,000 will be on the market soon!

Enviro-friendly, since it burns paper money...
Old 02-20-2017, 05:17 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm clearly not the only one that can't get my head around PCP then.

Paying interest on money that you lose through depreciation just feels like throwing good money after bad. I'm not interested in what it'll cost me per month. I'm interested in the cost of borrowing the money over the duration of the loan.

I can see the short term appeal of buying now and paying later, but i guess i'm just old fashioned. I'd rather earn the money and pay for a car myself and have some residual value that belongs to me when i'm finished with it as opposed to paying someone for the privilege of borrowing their money and having nothing to show at the end of it.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:43 AM

I quite like looking at leasing websites, because it gives an indication of what you actually lose in cold blood over the term.

Just don't forget to add-on the deposit. There's an Audi A4 shitbox going for £55 per month. The deposit is four large...
Old 02-20-2017, 07:57 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Easy way of washing dirty money?
Old 02-20-2017, 08:43 AM

I thought one bought used Cayennes and 'upgraded' every six months to do that...

Quick Reply: PCP