Delaware Valley S2000 Members Delaware, Eastern PA (Philly)Southern New Jersey

Sunday 10/16 DMV-Mid-A Annual Skyline Drive Meet

Old 10-14-2016, 07:56 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Sunday 10/16 DMV-Mid-A Annual Skyline Drive Meet

I know this would be an early start for you guys or you could come down and stay overnight at the Holiday Inn next to the Ikea in College Park Maryland.
This is a fun day, the weather is going to be spectacular starting in the 50's and ending up in the 70's for most of the day and sunny.
It is a great event every year to close out the active meet-up season so if y'all can come down, join us.

Sunday Oct. 16th. Two meet up locations:
1) Ikea in College Park just North of I-495 on RT-1 rolling out at 8am.
2) Dunkin Donuts 14631 Lee Hwy Centreville, VA 20121 rolling out at 9:30am.

I am NOT the official organizer but the "S2000 Mid-Atlantic Community" on Facebook (under "Events" tab) is hosting the annual spirited run up to Skyline Drive in the Virginia Mountains and back on SUNDAY October 16th.

The ONLY thing you need is an S2000 (only S2K's, keep headlights on all the time) and either $20 for a day pass or $40 for an annual car pass to Skyline Drive.
(last year, the toll taker wasn't there so it was totally free).

Clean them up and meet us at Ikea or for Donunts on Sunday. It is always great fun. We'll travel to Skyline by small, curvy, twisty backroads and have fun looking at everyone's cars and discussing at the park on Skyline.

Plan on a full day, home late afternoon!
Join us.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:57 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Off-subject: Cool avatar and screen name. I used to race back in the 90's...not anymore.

On-subject: I hope somebody from Del-Val can make this drive...unfortunately I cant.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How was the drive? Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive is an awesome ride. Rode NJ to TN on a Honda ('76 CB550), but not in one yet, lol. Hope you all had a blast!
Old 10-18-2016, 07:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was out that way earlier this summer I think, not in the S or I would have stopped. I was at the wintergreen resort for vacation in July some great roads out that way and I saw the exit sign and it made me think I should try and make it down there some time.

Originally Posted by CJ2006
How was the drive? Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive is an awesome ride. Rode NJ to TN on a Honda ('76 CB550), but not in one yet, lol. Hope you all had a blast!
Off topic, I'm looking at picking up a 1980 CB750 how did you like yours? and any things to look out for when buying? I know its an old bike and will need some TLC but the add says the carbs were recently cleaned and the tires were changed at the beginning of the summer. I've heard they are solid bikes, I am looking for a project bike for the winter as I now have access to essentially a full cycle shop with 2 lifts and all the tools I need.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:33 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Tdoolin18
I was out that way earlier this summer I think, not in the S or I would have stopped. I was at the wintergreen resort for vacation in July some great roads out that way and I saw the exit sign and it made me think I should try and make it down there some time.

Originally Posted by CJ2006' timestamp='1476566384' post='24084837
Off topic, I'm looking at picking up a 1980 CB750 how did you like yours? and any things to look out for when buying? I know its an old bike and will need some TLC but the add says the carbs were recently cleaned and the tires were changed at the beginning of the summer. I've heard they are solid bikes, I am looking for a project bike for the winter as I now have access to essentially a full cycle shop with 2 lifts and all the tools I need.
CB750 is a big heavy machine...... lead sled if you will. I understand the vintage draw but maybe a smaller vintage machine?
Old 10-18-2016, 04:34 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
Originally Posted by Tdoolin18' timestamp='1476804403' post='24086759

[quote name='CJ2006' timestamp='1476566384' post='24084837']
CB750 is a big heavy machine...... lead sled if you will. I understand the vintage draw but maybe a smaller vintage machine?
[/quote]

Hey Tim, I was thinking you should talk to Joe on this topic, but I see he found you.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by CJ2006' timestamp='1476566384' post='24084837
Ok, this is gonna be a long one! Hopefully it's at least somewhat entertaining/informative, though!

I love my CB! My dad bought it new in '76. It sat in our shed for 20 years, and he and I spent 2 years getting it back on the road. It was my first bike, and I still own it.

Like I mentioned, on one trip, I rode it from NJ to TN/NC and back, and rode the Dragon on it while there. Quite a feat on a vintage bike! I got a flat on the interstate coming home from TN because the shop that mounted the tires pinched the tube just a bit while doing so (it was/is still tubes and bias ply rubber on bikes of that vintage, generally speaking) and it eventually wore through and went flat at a somewhat (vs being on the Dragon, for example) opportune moment on the highway at 70 mph with 18 wheelers all around. Fortunately, it wasn't a true blowout, and it was the the back tire. I slowed down using the front brake only, and shifted down really, really gently and I didn't go down. I got it to the side of the road and stopped. As I hopped off, it went pancake flat.

Not as many liability issues in vehicle design, etc., back in '76 apparently, lol, as the center stand would touch down first in a hard corner to one side. No big deal in normal riding, because you shouldn't corner that hard unless you are tracking it, in which case, you'd (hopefully be aware of this and) remove the stand, but in a decreasing radius turn that takes you a bit by surprise, it could get interesting. If you knew the bike, certainly a major fright and nothing to do on purpose, but a non-event if you were cautious and in conditions of decent traction. It would rack up some major cool points from other riders who see the small shower of sparks, or the road rash on the tip of the stand, lol.

This was all before these bikes became fairly hip like they are now, so mine was a rarity on the road.

I later bought a '92 Nighthawk 750 which I also still have. (It is a CB750, only with a slight name change.) Since I always rode throughout the year, and liked to take long rides, I installed heated grips, a center stand, case guards, Progressive Suspension components front and rear, and a stainless brake like to the front. (Only 1 disc on the front. Rear is a mechanical drum.) Very easy bike to care for. No valve adjustments even, as they're hydraulic. Basically identical, performance-wise to the original '69 CB750. Not a barn burner, but a reliable and versatile bike. My '76 has kick and electric start (it was a transition from all kick to all electric in the industry), and I really liked having both. I always used the kickstarter, though. There's just something about kicking a bike over and hearing it come to life.

My father owned an '82 CB750 which is from the same generation as the '80 you're looking at. These are more sophisticated bikes than my '76 or '92. They have triple disc brakes and had a reputation for performance and handling at the time.

The CBs are very reliable bikes. They're very 'Honda' in that, and other ways. They just work, they've always been easy to care for compared to many of their contemporaries, and they are made in a quality way to ride for many miles.

Do you currently ride?

Do you have any experience with vintage bikes?

The carbs can be a huge PITA. Because the four cycinder models have four carbs that all need to function properly, not leak, have functioning floats and identical float levels, be synched with eachother, etc., you can spend ALOT of time straightening them out if they're bad. It's finicky work. Getting one that is properly set up carb-wise would be a really good move.

A stock airbox instead of pod filters or screens will make the carbs alot easier to adjust and keep dirt out of the motor.

Test rides aren't always permitted by motorcycle sellers. If not, make sure you see the seller start it from cold, right it in every gear, etc.

These CBs don't leak oil like old Harleys do, so if it is, I would skip it.

When you're working on it, double check what type of chain it requires. New chains are all o-ring chains. Old chains are non-o-ring. Small difference in width, big difference if that small difference causes the chain to check through the side cover of the engine.

If you have access to a lift, tools, and an indoor work space, and you're looking for a vintage project, it's a great choice.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by freq
Originally Posted by Tdoolin18' timestamp='1476804403' post='24086759

[quote name='CJ2006' timestamp='1476566384' post='24084837']
[/quote]

As Colin Chapman of Lotus fame said, 'Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere.'

'Light makes right,' is hard to argue with, but, I would say it's all very relative. The CB750 in its various vintage incarnations weighs about the same as its contemporaries in the same (750 four cylinder) class. They are all certainly heavy compared to, say, a modern 600. But, on the other hand, they are lightweights compared to a modern tourer. There are smaller, more nimble bikes, often with less power, and larger bikes with more, just like with modern bikes, though with vintage bikes the differences seem to be much more stark. I wouldn't suggest less than 50 hp for modern highway use. (CB500/550 performance level) In the era, the CB400 was considered a perfectly adequate all around machine, but I wouldn't even think of a highway stint on one today.

Some of the vintage two stroke machines make great power to weight and are very light. They won't go as long without mechanical attention as an overhead cam Honda four, though, and may prove too buzzy for the highway.

Intended use is a big question.

There are smaller/lighter, but still powerful vintage bikes, that's for sure. There are also some heavy duty rides, like the CBX (Google one if you haven't seen one... Spoiler, it's a vintage 6(!!!) cylinder overhead cam Honda.), for example.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The CBX is nuts looking!!

Thanks for all of the info definitely very helpful. I am mainly looking to use it as a commuter, keep some miles off of the S. Only reason I know anything about them is because it was the cheapest thing I could find on craigslist lol. I wasn't really looking for anything in particular, just something ride-able and reliable and turns out that a nice running CB is both of those. It'll be something to work on over the winter and nice to commute and cruise around every once and a while. I dont think i need anything huge but, I did want some go to get out of peoples way here in philly. I do really like the look as well and the idea of a cafe/cruiser build, but it depends if i can find the right one for the right price.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:42 PM

The CBX is nuts looking!!

Thanks for all of the info definitely very helpful. I am mainly looking to use it as a commuter, keep some miles off of the S. Only reason I know anything about them is because it was the cheapest thing I could find on craigslist lol. I wasn't really looking for anything in particular, just something ride-able and reliable and turns out that a nice running CB is both of those. It'll be something to work on over the winter and nice to commute and cruise around every once and a while. I dont think i need anything huge but, I did want some go to get out of peoples way here in philly. I do really like the look as well and the idea of a cafe/cruiser build, but it depends if i can find the right one for the right price.
CBXs are nuts looking!

You're welcome!

Craigslist is as good a way to stumble across something as any and is definitely your friend for used bike buying! I was on CL early today checking out some bikes. Have a look at South Jersey/Motorcycles/By Owner- lots of bikes on there. Great time of year to pick one up at a good price.

Okay, cool. Commuting duties can be handled by a wide range of bikes, and the CB is a great choice.

Riding in Philly traffic can be a real challenge and test of nerves. Make sure you gear up safety-wise. Suggestions available if you want some.

Acceleration/Stopping Power/Handling- Acceleration is not a concern for most any motorcycle, as even something like my '76 550 will match an S, and a CB750 does the 1/4 mile in the high 12's. (The 1969 CB750 was the first superbike, actually. Its introduction was a monumental moment in motorcycling.) There are many bikes now considered slow because they won't do a low 10 second or less 1/4 mile, yet will easily outpace any supercar in the acceleration department- crazy! Stopping power is a concern depending on vintage of bike and setup. Brakes weren't much years back. My '76 has one disc up front, with a single pad in the caliper- takes a whole hand to stop it and quite a bit of distance, yet that was a major improvement over the motorcycle brakes of 10 years prior. Any semi-modern sportbike will stop very, very quickly with a light input from only two fingers, traction permitting. Handling is good, as bikes are all at least pretty nimble. But, you always have to be vigilant, constantly scanning forward for things like broken pavement; sand or other slippery things in intersections, especially if braking or turning; and even lane paint, especially if wet, as it's very slippery.

Motorcycle License/Refresher- If you don't have your motorcycle license yet, or you'd like a refresher, the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) course(s) are a must-do: https://www.msf-usa.org/. In my opinion it's the only way to learn, and it will make you pretty safe and able on the street right out of the gate, rather than enduring approx. 2 months of panic every time you ride when you start out. It's how I got my license. I did the course for free and it allowed me to skip the road test portion of my NJ license test. They even gave you a bike to ride (and potentially drop, worry-free) to use for the course.

Parts- Try these guys: http://www.ajcyclesa.../a_n_j_v_4.htm. Haven't been there in years, but they always had an old bike pick and pull out back, and engines, carbs, etc., available from the counter. Parts for all vintages of bikes. Just don't call or go the first day they're open after a weekend, especially in the Summer!!! Everybody that crashed their bike on the weekend (there will be many) will be there looking for parts and it's very busy. Also, it was always better to go rather than call.

Cafe Style Bikes- So cool, I love them. Lots of CBs are being built up this way and look awesome! If you go with really low bars, there will be a lot of weight on your wrists (unless you're traveling at very high speed). Oh, and just be aware that if you decide to go without fenders, especially in Philly riding conditions, you and the bike will get filthy and the bike will get beat up. If it's converted to cafe style, make sure it has a proper ('butt stop' equipped) cafe seat, as without one, you could slide backwards very easily and, particularly on a bike without a rear fender, have a pants/butt/family jewels meet spinning rear tire incident that I don't want to imagine.

The unmodified CB is a bike of a style that has been making a comeback in new bike manufacture. They used to be made by every Japanese manufacturer and sold in great numbers. Now called a standard, originally colloquially called a UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) as it could be serve pretty well doing whatever you wanted as delivered, or you could modify it to specialize it: touring bike- put on a windshield and saddlebags, sport-/race bike- strip it down, put on narrower and lower bars, etc., etc. Changing gearing is easy on these bikes- just swap the sprocket(s)- lots of options to put you in the sweet spot for your riding style and conditions and it can't affect the speedometer/odometer on most models at all because that's run off the front wheel. Anyway, specificity took over the industry and with few exceptions, no more standards were made for a while- a sportbike was a sportbike, a tourer was a tourer, etc., and the bikes were better suited to their intended purpose, but there weren't many do-it-alls. My '92 Nighthawk 750 is an exception to that, as that bike is very much a standard/UJM introduced at a time when there were few.

Quick Reply: Sunday 10/16 DMV-Mid-A Annual Skyline Drive Meet